Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
UMD for PSP
Actors: John Cusack, Thandie Newton, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Amanda Peet, Oliver Platt
Director: Roland Emmerich
Genres: Action & Adventure, Drama, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Mystery & Suspense
From Roland Emmerich, director of THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW and INDEPENDENCE DAY, comes the ultimate action-adventure film, exploding with groundbreaking special effects. As the world faces a catastrophe of apocalyptic propor... more »
2012 or 158 minutes of a shipwreck film masterfully orchestr
Marcus Wright | Europe | 10/05/2010
(1 out of 5 stars)
"For information, my comment is about this version:
BLU-RAY single disc, Zone B, metal housing, EAN 3-333299-606200, 19.98 Euros.
Image: Outstanding quality and faultless encoding can be used as a demonstration BLU-RAY, 1080p, 24 fps, original format respected 2.35: 1;
Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD, French 5.1 DTS-HD;
Subtitle: English, English for deaf and hearing impaired, Arabic, Danish, Finnish, French, Hindi, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish.
Notes on the movie, no information revealing its plot or outcome:
As much as I enjoyed "The Day After Tomorrow" directed by Roland Emmerich, who was part of a disaster scenario "plausible" as the Maya scriptwriting courses to urgently revise both the Hollywood practice of borrowing excessive for a ton of "clichés" more inappropriate than each others. What is striking is that I laughed at times the film that would be perceived as sad or overwhelming. Special effects fall into the water, this is the case to say the absurdity of the scenario. The characters are neither likeable nor convincing.
After a "good half hour" viewing, surprised by an outstanding boredom, I look at the counter of my BLU-RAY player and it inadvertently displays only sixteen minutes! In other words, with this film, a quarter of an hour of viewing seems to last twice as much development has been slow, punctuated (sausage should I say) by ultrafast sessions with sensational special effects but does not support the underlying message . When watching a blockbuster, I do not expect the quality of a "arthouse" film! Yes, but I expect to be entertained, not to look at my watch to see how long this will last another ordeal. And with 2012, I watched the counter of my BLU-RAY player more than one occasion. Spend so much money in many scenes filled with special effects without investing a minimum in the credibility of the scenario and characters (recycled paper unfortunately), it's a mess! This film is an example of what not to do in blockbuster motion picture industry.
Firstly, this constant shifting between editing slow and boring and a fast spaced editing that does not allow to capture the viewer's attention enough considering the avalanche (the word is right I think so!) of special effects, more ridiculous than the others, and secondly, the severe lack of involvement of characters, their poor dialogues in the light of the events they are supposed to undergo, kill the last credibility you can accept. Although technically the special effects, taken one by one, are very successful, especially the opening credits of the film, their assembly is completely inconsistent and disappointing. The characters reactions completely out of sync with regard to the alleged gravity of the story they are supposed to live. For my part, if the technique and image quality are great (perfect encoding), it is clear that this does not save this sinking film.
This film is a very bad compilation of: When Worlds Collide (1951), Crack in the world (1965), The Poseidon Adventure (1972), Titanic ( 1997), Volcano (1997), Dante's Peak (1997), Con Air (1997), The Day After Tomorrow (2004). Yes, you read well that last title! Roland Emmerich was even able to plagiarize himself!
Among the mountain of inconsistencies of this "cheesy" compilation of movies, here are few scenes that I have a good laugh, beware that some details may reveal the "plot" (a big word for this movie without any one):
- Because of a planetary alignment, the Sun changes its operation by emitting mutants neutrinos that act as a microwave! No kidding! They are absorbed by the Earth's core, which starts to melt! Oh, the core of the Earth was not already melting the last few billion years? When "hidden things" are revealed thanks to Hollywood :-) ...
- A late Friday afternoon, Curtis Jackson (John Cusack) who is divorced just pick up his children Lily and Noah to take them camping in Yellowstone this weekend! Super, Los Angeles> Yellowstone = 1750 km (about 1087 mille), or 16 hour drive one way! Nevermind, after a phone call from his ex-wife who asks them to return urgently, he takes the children unharmed on Saturday morning! Kate Curtis thanked him for doing so quickly! Does anyone know the brand of this limousine with incredible performance? Curtis Jackson should not forget that Lilly has always Saturday afternoon's dance classes and that Noah's karate classes! This is not me saying it! These are the incoherent dialogues played by actors with no idea!
- Major earthquake in Los Angeles, the whole family rushed out of the house collapses. In fact, the entire area collapses, not a single house standing, a real vacuum cleaning! LOL! Curtis Lilly has only one reaction to say "my hats"! I must say she is a fan of hats and diapers for incontinent older children. So, the director tells us that this child has no friends, no relationship in the neighborhood, just the existence of her hats really matters. Her school must be on the ground and her friends under tons of rubble! The only one thing really serious, it was her hats. More ridiculous dialogue and off base, I think we will hardly worse but this film can exceed such dialogues by a earthquake magnitude! Really! The rest of the dialogue is at this level!
- The Curtis fled in a decaying Los Angeles. A crack running really like a homing missile pursuing them with great conviction for more than an hour of the film. At this level of conviction, it is not a missile, it's pure hatred! Perhaps there should be a good time to psychoanalyze this crack to discover its motives! Roland Emmerich comes out of the body of this avenged crevasse ;-)
- The Curtis take a plane to return to Yellowstone just because this weekend for camping and 32-hour drive between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning was just too much for our national Curtis Jackson! So they go by plane piloted by the new boyfriend of Kate Kurtis. Plastic surgeon by profession, he practiced the joystick as a skilled artist that even the pilots of the Patrouille de France are simply jealous (LOL), especially after only three flying lessons! That the gifted! If only he could give one or two of its neurons to the screenwriter, we would have won a lot!
- Sacha was a pilot of the Russian ultra-capitalist villain with two children very ugly. He found in Las Vegas Nevada, the Antonov that contains the collection of luxury cars of the very bad Russian! He knows they have to make a very long flight to China! Instead of alleviating the Antonov by emptying its contents, he dutifully carries the passengers with the luxury cars! It is richer for the image that looks quite empty! But then, what is useful to carry cars, so that all land will be submerged by the waters? Am I stupid, a Bentley floats so well, for sure! And even if there are small pieces of land, service stations may fail quickly. So choose between their survival or the company of luxury cars, one more time the screenwriter has made the most ridiculous choice for Sacha.
- One of the arches is sinking because of the Curtis! The front door of the ship no longer closes by the fault of a Chinese worker awkward, again! But tell me this ill-fitting door, it would not be under the waterline by any matter of chance? No, because if you look closer, it is striking how this damn door is under water! LOL! The design engineer of the ship would it be the nephew by marriage of the screen writer, sharing the few neurons available thanks to a botched transfusion? And then the holds are filled with water! Do not forget that we are on Everest. According to Roland Emmerich, the temperature is scorching! A -40 ° would not be so stupid. However, the Curtis family "states" the water quite to their liking! Neither too hot nor too cold! No particular comment. They should all be dead of hypothermia, but with the writer on board, no problem.
- The daughter of President of the United States of America is finally safe. She is in her cabin, happy and relaxed on the arm of her beloved operetta scientist who has missed all his predictions, one after the others! But where is his father? But where are the 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the world population? Okay, she is comfortably installed in a first class cabin. Happiness is just simple as that! Lilly has the final word of this wonderful adventure: she still loves hats and she does not wear diapers anymore! Thanks a lot! This last line is simply the best of the screenplay!
In any case, one thing is certain: the Maya must have insomnia! So look this movie at once if you have really 158 long minutes to waste! Frankly speaking: a true cinematic shipwreck orchestrated masterfully..."