Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|British Invasion - 1960s 1970s|
Genres: Music Video & Concerts
British Invasion - 1960?s and 1970?s Rarities? features rare complete performances by some of the biggest British rockers ever to invade America. In addition to such groundbreaking artists as The Beatles, The Animals, and... more »
Similarly Requested DVDs
Primarily for collectors of fine & rare showcases...
Glen Ramirez | Massachusetts | 05/08/2006
(4 out of 5 stars)
"First I would like to make a few corrections to the "Editorial Review" by Amazon. The artist line-up on this disc is as follows:
The Beatles (1964)
The Rolling Stones (1964)
The Yardbirds (1965)
The Animals (1965 & 1966)
The Moody Blues (1965)
The Zombies (1965)
The Searchers (1965)
Herman's Hermits (1965)
John Lennon (1972)
The song list is accurate. The approximate run time is 45 minutes not 60 minutes.
This is a very enjoyable DVD for 60's music fans (there is only one 70's song, "Imagine" by John Lennon). Below are some points of view:
* These are rare showcases of the songs listed. Two very rare performances in particular are "Go Now" by the original Moody Blues led by Denny Laine (about 7 years prior to joining Paul & Linda McCartney in Wings) and "She's Not There" by The Zombies. For many years "Go Now" was the biggest selling song in British history.
* The line-up on this is great representations of that periods British Invasion. Too bad some Dave Clark Five and Gerry and the Pacemakers weren't included.
* The John Lennon sections on this DVD are very cool. He sings on the only color performance of the disc on the Mike Douglas Show (the audio and video is not quite as good as the Dick Cavett show of the same period) and there are 3 interviews with John's sister Julia Baird on the Bonus section. She discusses not only John's early years but also the Beatles.
* The picture quality on most are very poor. Unfortunately, this is about as good as it gets for these particular shows (i.e.: Hullabaloo). There are other DVD's with many of these songs by the same artists sung the same year that are much better (i.e.: The Ed Sullivan Show, The Beatles Anthology, Imagine).
* Same goes for sound quality. Very poor for the same reasons.
* Overpriced [...] for 11 songs and 45 minutes in length.
WOW Never Seen Stones footage from 1964!
markness | Southern California | 11/21/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I'm giving this release five stars because not only is it fun to watch all of the different early British bands but this has footage never before released of The Rolling Stones from the first time they came to American shores in 1964. They do an incredible live version of "Not Fade Away" from The Mike Douglas Show when it was a small local Cleveland show. Plus this has the classic John Lennon performance of "Imagine" when he was on Mike Douglas in the 1970's"
British Invasion - 1960s & 1970s
Odette | Gatineau, Quebec Canada | 07/03/2007
(2 out of 5 stars)
"A bit disappointed - it had less titles than I thought it would have because in the description it said "...and many more".
A Collection Featuring the Beatles, Stones, Animals, Hermits
Caesar M. Warrington | Lansdowne, PA United States | 09/14/2008
(4 out of 5 stars)
"The Product Description for THE BRITISH INVASION - 1960s & 1970s is incorrect: ELO, Peter Frampton, Phil Collins and Genesis do not appear on this collection. Thank God.
Actually, this DVD features great performances from some of the better known British Invasion groups of the years 1964-1966. Due to licensing and other contractual complications, it's rare to find the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, or the Animals and Herman's Hermits included on various artists comps like they are here on this DVD. And that, along with a rare 1965 performance from the pre-Justin Hayward/John Lodge Moody Blues, makes this DVD worth buying.
For the diehard fans of everything (and anything) Beatles... This collection starts off with the group's "Til' There Was You," and ends with John Lennon doing "Imagine" from one of his appearances on the Mike Douglas Show in 1972. An interview with Lennon's half-sister Julia Baird is included as a bonus feature as well.
The lineup on this DVD is as follows:
01- The Beatles: "Til' There Was You" (1964)
02- The Rolling Stones: "Not Fade Away" (1964)
03- The Yardbirds: "I'm a Man" (1965)
04- The Animals: "We Gotta Get Out of this Place" (1965)
05- The Animals: "It's My Life" (1965)
06- The Animals: "I'm Crying" (1966)
07- The Moody Blues: "Go Now" (1965)
08- The Zombies: "She's Not There (1965)
09- The Searchers: "Love Potion No. 9" (1965)
10- Herman's Hermits: "Can't You Hear My Heartbeat" (1965)
11- John Lennon: "Imagine" (1972)