Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
Actors: Tupac Shakur, Biggie Smalls
Director: Billy Wright
Genres: Drama, Music Video & Concerts
Studio: Music Video Dist Release Date: 08/11/2009 Run time: 90 minutes
Crab 187/Slob 187 is better.......i give Dead Homiez 3.5 *'s
(3 out of 5 stars)
"I give Dead Homiez 3 1/2 stars. When i first read about it in the video store, i had to see it... so i did... and personally felt it could of used more documentary footage. I didn't really dig the funeral scenes of pooh bear, etc... i sort of thought that was fictional, but i guess its real, since i read the reviews from the rest of you below. It's a good movie, i found it to be a little boring... but i wish that the people who shot it oculd of done a better job, becuase i found it really hard to hear what the loc's from Grape Street Watts were saying... that's my only beef with this movie... the fact that stuff was hard to hear... and my volume was up and my house was empty... but stuff was hard to hear... ( i don't have a hearing prob either..."
Best gang doc video i've seen
sweetback | Adelaide, Australia | 01/20/2002
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This video is well worth getting. I have the DVD version but I've seen the VHS and there is no benefit to getting the DVD. Both are full-screen, and there are no extras on DVD. Picture quality and indexing problems on the DVD suggest that the VHS version is better (until a new master appears on DVD).
Basically this doco contains the following:
1) a dramatisation of the real story of a cousin of the director -- the cousin (Pooh Bear) is a blood who is killed in payback for the killing of Cartoon, a member of a crip gang. In turn Pooh Bear's little brother gets into some payback of his own when released from jail on a furlough to attend the funeral of Pooh Bear. In general this part is good, and contains some underground hard-core g-funk in the funeral scene and there is some cool scenes with lowriders in those sections too.
2) An interview with KAM, a rapper who many probably know ('Neva Again', 'Made in America', 'Kamnesia'), and his homies Lay Back and Big Solo etc. This part is good if you like KAM, if not it's relatively short.
3) Crips Roster. Interviews with actual crips from LA. Goes through several neighbourhoods. Interviews here are very good, especially the one with Big Loc and Lil Loc of Grape Street. Some cool lowriders here, the usual 63's etc but also some later chevys.
4) Bloods roster. Interviews with actual bloods from LA. Some great interviews here but you may need an interpreter, know what I'm sayin? P-Funk every day. No lowriders here, some nice red shoes though and for the ladies there are some pretty built homies here ;-) EXTRA SPECIAL FEATURE: interviews with rappers Hi-C and 2nd II None. Tha D looks like he may have been hitting the pipe at this time though -- sorry D! Interviews cool though.
5) Biggie & Tupac. Yes, there is a little bit at the end with Biggie and Tupac, where they bust a freestyle rap together over drinks. If you like Biggie or Tupac this part is good, if not it's at the end of the tape, so ... Personally I would have preferred some more doco footage, or maybe an interview with DJ Quik!"
sweetback | 07/25/2001
(4 out of 5 stars)
"This Is A Great Movie To Get,Especially If You're A Blood. The Interviews With The Bloods And Crips Are Very Interesting. I Would Buy THis DVD It Is Worth Every Penny!"
THE REALIST IVE EVER SEEN I FEEL SO INFORMED
sweetback | 11/10/1999
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I AM A THIRTY SIX YEAR OLD WHITE MALE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA I HAVE THREE BOYS. I FELT FOR A WHILE THAT I WOULD LOSE THEM TO GANG VIOLENCE, I WAS LOST WITH NO WAY TO COMUNICATE WITH THEM UNTIL I RENTED THIS VIDEO (DEAD HOMIEZ) IT OPENED MY MIND TO WHAT'S GOING ON OUT THERE AND HONESTLY BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN ME AND MY SONS, I WAS ABLE TO SIT DOWN AND WATCH THE VIDEO WITH THEM AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS WE WERE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER, BEFORE I FELT HELPLESS AGAINST THIS GANG THING BUT (DEAD HOMIEZ) HAS GIVEN ME THE AMUNITION I NEED TO DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEM HEAD ON,I THANK THE DIRECTOR BILLY WRIGHT AND I LOOK FORWARD TO MORE FILMS FROM THIS PEACEMAKER!"