Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Godzilla vs the Sea Monster|
Actors: Akira Takarada, Kumi Mizuno, Chôtarô Tôgin, Hideo Sunazuka, Tôru Watanabe
Director: Jun Fukuda
Genres: Action & Adventure, Indie & Art House, Comedy, Drama, Science Fiction & Fantasy
Godzilla battles an evil sea shrimp. Genre: Science Fiction Rating: UN Release Date: 1-JAN-2007 Media Type: DVD
Similarly Requested DVDs
DVD Finally Does This Movie Justice
Michael K. Beusch | San Mateo, California United States | 03/03/2005
(4 out of 5 stars)
"What a weird movie! Bowing to the spy craze of the 1960's, director Jun Fukuda has Godzilla fighting the SPECTRE-like Red Bamboo and a giant crab named Ebirah. Inoshiro Honda's previous films in the series delivered their message about the dangers of nuclear weapons well, but Fukuda turns the series 180 degrees and goes for sheer entertainment instead. Eschewing the city smashing of the previous films, in Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster we get beautiful island girls, tropical locations, a bank robber turned hero, mysterious hideouts and, best of all, a hilarious victory dance by Godzilla. Add in Mothra and the Peanuts (the two little girls who control Mothra) and you have one entertaining and strange hybrid. If you're a Godzilla purist, you'll hate this movie. But if you give it a chance, you'll be surprised at how enjoyable it is.
As with the Son of Godzilla DVD, this edition presents a cyrstal-clear widescreen image that restores the film to what it originally was. The VHS version is blurred with terrible sound and pan-and-scan, but the DVD version contains none of those flaws. In addition, the DVD edition puts back many elements that were edited out of the VHS version, including the opening credits. The film makes a lot more sense in this format and presentation and, unlike the VHS version, doesn't make you feel you're missing something. There are no extras to speak of, but the movie itself gets an A+ for image and sound quality. Most importantly, however, the DVD offers the original dialogue track in Japanese (with subtitles option) that eliminates the horrible dubbing of the previous versions. It's amazing how much better the film is when you realize it's the actual actors' voices and not those of some poor quality American voice-over actor trying to sound Japanese."
GREAT GODZILLA MOVIE: CRAPPY DUBBING
A. C. Cronvich | Planet Zeist | 05/23/2005
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This new release is superior to the previous versions in many respects (clearer picture, wide-screen, restored scenes, restored japanese soundtrack) but the dubbing. This version is the international dub, an english soundtrackj recorded in japan in the 60's. It blows. The otherwise inferior American TV version, called GODZILLA VERSUS THE SEA MONSTER on the title card, is definately worth tracking down
for its great vocal performances by Peter Fernandes of Speed Racer fame and Hal Linden from Barney Miller as the bank robber. Also the corney music during the jet battle was excised in that version.
For the kids: WHAT MONSTERS DID GODZILLA FIGHT????
here is a list of the monsters he faught in his movie series .. The # after each monster indicates the number of times Godzilla faught them. a "K" indicates if Godzilla, or an ally of his, killed the monster. If there is no K that means that they away. Sometimes Godzilla will kill an enemy and another of the same species will show up later. Like Anguirus, who was killed by Godzilla. Later a new friendlier Anguirus showed up and faught side by side with Godzilla. Still later, another Anguirus faught against Godzilla. Same goes for Mothra, Spiga and others. Rodan faught Godzilla but was convinced (telepathicaly) by Mothra to join forces with him. Godzilla himself seems immortal. One dies and another always appears. The first Godzilla was killed in 1954. Some part of his body, possibly his cells, but likely his heart, grew into the Godzilla from GIANT MONSTERS ALL-OUT ATTACK. His bones were collected and turned into the KIRYU in GODZILLA AGAINST MECHAGODZILLA. A second Godzilla appeared in GODZILLA Raids again in 1955. Godzilla disintegrated in GODZILLA VS, DESTOROYAH in 1996, but reapeared at the end. This was probably Godzilla's son, now fully grown. Godzilla was back alive again in GODZILLA 2000, this may also have been one of Godzilla's sons. If one counts, there may have been as many as eight Godzillas or there may be only one. By now we don't really have to know how Godzilla keeps coming back, only that he always does The same goes for his fellow monsters, like Mothra, King Kong, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Jason and Freddy. It sort of falls into the same catagory as "How can James Bond still be young and still a spy, when we know he was a commander in World War II ?" Or, "How can Superman or Wonder Woman or Captain America still be around since we read of their adventures fighting Natzis in the 40s and Communists in the 50s? " Answer: They just are. Or better yet. "How can Peter Parker have been in high school and collage for the better part of thirty years?" Answer: He just was. Thats all. Its better not to think about it, and in the end its not important. If Godzilla gets killed its for dramatic purposes. and when he returns, even if its not explained, it to make us fans, and millions of childre, happy. That said here is the monster list.
1) ANGUIRUS a spikey armored quadreped dinosaur. 2 K
2) KING KONG the giant lightening charged ape 1
3) MOTHRA a giant web spitting telepathic insect. 5 K
4) RODAN the agile flying reptile. 3
5) KING GHIDORAH- The Three Headed Monster from space. 6 K (killed by Godzilla with help from six other monsters)
6) EBIRAH- The Sea Monster. A giant lobster. 2
7) GIANT CONDOR self explanitory. No match for Godzilla. 2 K
8) KAMAKIRAS (aka GIMANTIS) a trio of giant mantises. 3 K
9) SPIGA (aka KUMONGA) a giant web spitting spider. 3 K
10) GABARA a gargling horned blue skinned electricity shooting biped cat/toad monster. 1
11) HEDORAH- The Smog Monster. an shape changing alien that swallows pollution. 1 K (Killed with help from humans)
12) GIGAN (aka GAIGAN) a cyborg bird/dinosaur witha buzzsaw in its body. 3 K (killed by Zone Fighter)
13) MEGALON a cyborg beetle with drills for hands. 1
14) MECHAGODZILLA (aka MG) The Cosmic Monster. A missle firing cyborg duplicate of Godzilla. 1 K
15) TITANOSAURUS a cackling, finned, long necked biped dinosaur. 1
(Unconfirmed kill. might have escaped.)
16) MECHAGODZILLA 2 (aka MG2) a more advanced/more deadly version of MG. 1 K
17) BIOLLANTE an enormous genetically engineered monster that is part plant, part human and part Godzilla. 1 K
18) MECHA-KING GHIDORAH a three headed cyborg created from a genetically engineered King Ghidorah from the future. 1 K
19) BATTRA an insane mutated version of a Mothra. 1 K
20) FIRE RODAN a mutated radioactive Rodan. 1 K (Killed by SMG and absorbed by Godzilla)
21) SUPER MECHAGODZILLA (aka SMG) an updated version of MG with a flying weapon attached to its back. 1 K
22) SPACE GODZILLA an evil Godzilla clone created by Godzilla cells that floated into space from Biollante and were sucked through a black hole. 1 K
23) DESTOROYAH a shape changeing monster crab created by micro oxygen atoms. 1 K (killed by Japanese Army while fighting dying Godzilla)
24) ORGAH (stands for Organizer, aka Millenian) an alien who can mutate and adapt its body by absorbing Godzilla's cells. 1 K
25) MEGAGUIRAS a mutated dragonfly, possibly from another dimension. 1 K
26) BARAGON antlered and armored subterranian dinosaur. 1 K
27) KIRYU (aka KIYU) an updated version of Mechagodzilla created from the skeleton of the original 1954 Godzilla. 2
28) KAMEBAS Godzilla killed this giant Turtle off camera. 1 K
29) FINAL GIGAN an ancient version of Gigan with chainsaws for hands. 1 K
30) KING SEESAR an ancient stone Shisa statue brought to life. 1 K
31) ZILLA (aka GODZILLA) skinny biped relative of Godzilla from the 1998 american movie and cartoon series. 1 K
32) MONSTER X / KAISER GHIDORAH a biped alien creature that transformes into a quadreped version of KING GHIDORAH. 1 K
In addition Godzilla faught at least seven other alien monsters while protecting the earth in five guest appearances on the japanese TV series Zone Fighter, which has never been released here in the US. Godzilla faught SPYLAR, WARGILGAR, ZADLAR, JELLAR, NEEDLAR, JAKIRO and a few others. Also in the animated american series from Hanna Barbera Godzilla faught at least 40 different monsters
mostly mutated animals and mostly nameless. A few that had names are..T-REX, AXOR, GREAT WATCHUKA, MEGAVOLT, MOONLODE, SUB-ZERO, GUARDIAN, BREEDER BEAST and FIRE-BIRD.
In an audio only adventure from Wonderland Records Godzilla battled
the finned and clawed mutant reptile monster AMPHIBION.
In comic books from Marvel and Dark Horse Comics Godzilla battled
giant bat like creatures BATRAGON, a sort of mutated hairy flying dragon, and BAGORAH a space monster. CENTIPOR a giant many legged worm. YETRIGAR a giant sasquatch, RED RONIN a samurai robot. CYBERSAUR AND ALL-TERRAINTULA two huge robot weapons, and other assorted aliens, mutants and walking statues..
Which monsters faught on Godzillas side? Answer. Alot of the same guys he first faught against. Aint it funny how things change. Here is a list of Godzilla's buddys....
3) MINYA (aka MINILLA) Godzilla's first son.
5) GOROSAURUS a giant allosaurus like creature.
7) MANDA a long clawed sea dragon.
9) VARAN a flying marine iguana like lake monster.
10) JET JAGUAR a flying, size changing android.
11) KING SEESAR
12) ZONE FIGHTER
13) FIRE RODAN
14) GODZILLA JR. an updated version of Minya.
15) MOGERA (aka MOGUERA) a tranforming mole robot.
Island hopping fun
J. Hardy IV | Snohomish, WA United States | 02/13/2005
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Saturday, February 12, 2005 / 4 of 5 / Island hopping fun.
One of the wackier Godzilla films, this one doesn't see the big G until quite far in. In the meantime we're treated to a yellow cardigan wearing criminal/thief tagging along with some teens looking for a third guys brother who was lost at sea. Eventually the boat meets up with Ebirah, the giant lobster and title antagonist. They're crashed onto an island where the amusing baddies are manufacturing nuclear material for nefarious purposes. The beautiful Kumi Mizuno is tanned nicely as a displaced native of Mothra's Infant Island. When Godzilla is finally awakened, he dispatches Ebirah with the kind of crunching we're all used to at seafood restaurants, but not before playing some kick *ss volleyball with boulders. I saw Godzilla's Revenge long before this and now the stock footage used in that film makes more sense seeing it here and Son of Godzilla. Overall a good DVD, I really like Columbia's decision to include the original Japanese soundtrack. Although the suit was getting a bit `ragged' it's still a fun Godzilla outing. Recommended."
Great Presentation of an OK Godzilla Movie
Rowdy P. Scarlett | Winston Salem, NC United States | 12/01/2005
(3 out of 5 stars)
"Yes, this movie has never looked better. Like other reviewers, I had the VHS and it was sad. If you're into Godzilla and have been waiting for a great print of this to become available, now is he time to snatch this up.
This was originally written as a follow up to King Kong Escapes and was to feature King Kong, but when the owners of Kong backed out, Toho inserted Godzilla. Some footage from previous movies here, but they are hard to notice and overall the film is well done. The Sea Monster is kind of lack luster and isn't much of a challenge for Godzila. Basically, your average Godzilla movie."