Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I got this dvd about half a year ago, this is truly one of the best performances that I've seen by a female singer. This concert also goes by the title of Welcome Home Heroes.1) I Wanna Dance With Somebody - The crowd is into it, Whitney is very cute in that yellow outfit, very fun performance.
2) Saving All My Love For You - Very slowed down and extended rendition, Whitney is flirting with the troops, great vocals.
3) How Will I Know - See 1)
4) Love Medley(Didn't We Almost Have It All/A House Is Not A Home/Where Do Broken Hearts Go) - Whitney comesback with a stunning red gown. This is where it kinda "starts" for me, the previous 3 were kinda cute, but now Whitney's voice starts soaring and she really impresses.
5) All The Man That I Need - WOW. Just WOW. In the final chorus, Whitney simply outclasses the original version. The crowd is going wild.
6) My Name Is Not Susan - She now switches to a green outfit. Fun performance
7) Anymore - GREAT. Very fun dancing and simply a very cute performance. It's amazing to see her hit those notes while dancing like crazy, very impressive.
8) A Song For You - At on point, she belts so hard and long, you'll be amazed at the power.
9) Revelation - At the end, everyone was going nuts. She really brought down the house, words cannot describe!
10) Who Do You Love - Fun performance, I really like the live arrangements, much better then on the Cd.
11) I'm Your Baby Tonight - Great performance
12) Greatest Love Of All - Perfect performance. She's now wearing a blue gown. There are so many funny moments in this performance, you'll love it. Let's say it envolves a little kid. Those 2 last notes, probably 15 seconds each.Some of the dance numbers are a little outdated in terms of style because this was from 1991, but the VOICE is what matters. And the ballads are truly amazing, YOU GOT TO SEE All The Man That I Need.Also, the dvd has great sound & picture quality. All in all, this is a MUST-HAVE for any Whitney fan or anyone who likes great singing."
Excellent Whitney !
C. Martine | PolynÚsie Francaise | 07/22/2003
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I own this concert in LVD(Laser Video Disc)version (1991). Indeed, a very "interesting" concert in many respects :1)Whitney Houston sings for the American troops coming back from the first war against Irak : this concert is produced "with the cooperation of the Department of the Navy and the Department of Defense". I might be wrong but, Whitney Houston is the first Black singer to be hired to sing for the American troops.
Let me tell you that she has unanimous backing from all these KIDS!
2)The Director is David Mallet : he also directed some of Tina Turner's concerts : good "prises de vue" and so emotional... 3)Whitney Houston's performance in this concert is so excellent that you'll need to play it over and over again...4)I like ALL the songs performed in this unforgettable concert but "All the Man that I Need","Greatest Love of All" & "A Song for You" are my favourite : Whitney is at her best !"WELCOME HOME HEROES WITH WHITNEY HOUSTON", Live in Concert, is just a moment of pure emotion : she's talented, she's beautiful and above all, the soldiers seem so terribly relieved to be home.
THIS CONCERT IS ALSO A HISTORICAL MOMENT !
It will also probably make you think about what's happening NOW."
Reyshaud | United States | 11/29/2003
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This is a nice live dvd to add to your collection. Whitney really shows why she's the greatest in this one. Just to inform anyone who is thinking about purchasing it, this is from her first album up until the I'm Your Baby tonight album. Just a heads up, because i was looking for some songs from the bodyguard myself. But it is still an awesome show. I remember when It came on HBO, but i didn't remember in detail what she performed. (over 10 years ago). But If you like NIPPY, you'll enjoy it anyway because it's her doing her thang ! !"
Make some adjustments for sound!
M. Dart | Perth, Australia | 05/24/2006
(3 out of 5 stars)
"This DVD certainly shows its age - the costumes and production from 1991 look even older - a hangover from the 1980's.
When I first played it the sound quality was terrible, you could hardly hear Whitney sing at all. However, I found that by disabling 5.1 surround sound, and running an 'auto' scan on my DVD/sound system, the audio balanced out OK (I assume it is encoded in stereo only), and Whitney's voice was 10 times better.
The stage scenario is a bit cheesy - and the scene with the American kid on the stool and his constantly interferring sailor dad got a bit annoying, but as this is the ONLY live DVD ever produced by Whitney, I guess we will just have to enjoy what we can!
Looking at it from a current (2006) point of view the feeling is one of lost brilliance, and a tragic conclusion to what should have been the greatest singing career in history - can you image what she could have done if she had continued?
For me the slow songs come across the best, but the program is a short one, and you are left with a slightly dissapointed feeling on the whole.
A must for true fans who just have to have some live footage, but for the slightly curious this is best avoided as it does little justice to the womans greatness - get a CD instead!"