Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Smokin' Aces 2 Assassins' Ball|
Actors: Tom Berenger, Clayne Crawford, Tommy Flanagan, Maury Sterling, Martha Higareda
Director: P.J. Pesce
Genres: Action & Adventure, Comedy, Mystery & Suspense
The director of Smokin? Aces and Narc brings you back into the adrenaline-pumping world of blood, bullets and badasses. Packed with insane mercenaries, sexy assassins, and more of the fan-favorite Tremor family, this all-... more »
Similarly Requested DVDs
Member Movie Reviews
Chad B. (abrnt1) from CABERY, IL
Reviewed on 11/28/2011...
I really wasn't expecting too much out of this film. The director is a hack who's responsible for some hideous sequels (From Dusk Til Dawn 3, Lost Boys The Tribe) & is really pretensious.
1 of 1 member(s) found this review helpful.
BD quality was excellent, weak execution overall
Steve Kuehl | Ben Lomond, CA | 01/16/2010
(4 out of 5 stars)
"Lots of questions out there about the whole prequel/sequel argument and the inevitable comparisons between the two films, but in the end this is really about Carnahan having a fun time indulging the premise of his success by making another film (have to watch the supplements).
The story contains two characters from the first film, but there is no other other connection and each of them only have bit parts that provide a few laughs so watching the first film is not mandatory to get anything happening here. The FBI protects one of their own from a conglomerate of assassins, all of whom get their chance to display their special skills. Tom Berenger plays the FBI target, and he does play his age but I really only liked his last scene. Vinnie Jones gets some corny screen time, the Tremors are way over the top and the majority of their scenes were filmed like Natural Born Killers (fake backgrounds while driving). The film does get some stand-alone uniqueness with exploding clowns and a 50s retro FBI fashion look, but the cheese gets pretty heavy.
The BD clarity is excellent, so much so that when they tried any special effects they looked horrible, but both the interior and exterior shots without effects were pristine. The 5.1 DTS gets used extensively, reference the exploding clowns through the walls sequence. The makeup looked so thick on Berenger that you sometimes wished the BD wasn't so clear. The supplements are thorough and include (some are hidef and some are not):
* Deleted scenes, 10:01 minutes. Glad most of them were deleted, this also includes the alternate ending - but I think most people will agree the ending included is much better (a revenge thing for how this whole movie was written).
* Gag reel, 6:32 minutes. Had a couple of funny moments, but they were mostly tedious (watching the FBI gal repeatedly cuss like a sailor was funny though).
* Behind Carnahan, 6:30 minutes. Covers everything about Smokin Aces I, and a little about why this came to be.
* Confessions of an Assassin, 25:59 minutes. The behind the scenes as told through the month of filming (in a day by day format). The two things I liked about this the most were the old guy Michael Parks who plays one of the Tremors and the foul mouthed producer Elliot. Both of those guys are hilarious, hard to tell with Parks but I think he was genuinely pissed off anytime a camera was rolling. Elliot slammed everything I hate about these kinds of documentaries so the self-loathing thing worked well.
* Weapons of SA II, 4:17 minutes. The main weapons guy reviews the variety of armaments in the film.
* Cue Clown, 2:57 minutes. Reviews how you make an exploding clown scene, gross.
* Bunker Mentality, 3:35 minutes. Reviews production design and construction for the best set in the film - nice room.
* pocketBlu. More iPhone/iPod stuff for portable fans.
* BD Live, nothing relative or new to this film online.
* Unrated version, 2 minutes longer. The majority of the added footage is in the beginning as they removed the sex scene from the rated cut - you get to see AK-47 Tremor do her very wild thing sans clothing, worth the watch.
Once you watch the supplements one should understand this was about having fun and putting some cheese on film. The critics who slam this film are all correct, but having no expectations helps. 2 for the film, 2 for the BD clarity and supplements. Enjoy."
Great another smokin' aces movie
Andy Marlinata | OK, USA | 01/31/2010
(4 out of 5 stars)
"This movie is great. There are no necessary connection between the first and the this one but to be enjoyed by itself, I think this is better or at least the same quality. The story is more thrilling, the action is little more frequent and the quality of the action is the same. The dialogues are great for a B movie or direct to DVD movie. Tom Berenger and Calyne Crawford have a great conversation and relationship in this whole movie in many different angles. Satisfying ending and pretty good message they put in the movie. I easily say it's at least the same quality as the 1st one or even better. If you enjoyed the first one, you will definitely enjoy this one, as far you put in mind that this is just another smokin' aces movie, not a sequel or continuing from the first one. Enjoy the shootout and little sarcastic (and sometime smart) jokes there. Ooo.. one flaw, they make the FBI look dumb in this movie even worse than the first one, especially agent Durane?? We as a normal citizen (except you're a high class, FBI or assassin hehehe..) know that's the worst reaction you can give to something that suspicious.... counter attack special agent? and the whole team with lack of sensitivity or weirdness and communications, anyway, just enjoy the ride for the shootout and twist and political struggle, nothing more and you'll enjoy it!"
Not as good as the original but definitely for fans!
amerdale876 | MD | 02/13/2010
(3 out of 5 stars)
"Of course, not as good as the first one, but still a must-see for fans of the first. I wish they would've spent a little more time on Martha Higareda's and Vinnie Jones' characters. The twist was predictable; lots of action and violence but it still was a likeable movie. I would only recommend this to fans of the first one ... and even still, it's not as good as that one."