Discussion Forums - Mystery

Topic: Mystery Fan

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Aerobicgirl (Mandy L.)

Subject: Mystery Fan
Date Posted: 12/1/2007 1:09 AM ET

I love a good A&E Poirot or Miss Marple or Brother Cadfael mystery on DVD.  I also have all the Sherlock Holmes old and new DVDs.  Are there any other great mysteries on DVD out there that you would recommend? Thanks!

sevenspiders (Vanessa V.)

Date Posted: 12/8/2007 3:52 PM ET

its not a series, but it was on mystery! once, its called Dr Bell & Mr. Doyle its about the real-life inspiration for the holmes character.  it was really good.

connieb118 (Connie B.)

Date Posted: 12/22/2007 5:11 AM ET

I'd recommend the Midsomer Murder series, formerly running on the Biography channel. I miss not watching it on Sundays!

Arlene G.

Date Posted: 12/27/2007 3:57 PM ET

The old PD James Adam Dalgleish stories are very good. I have quite a few of them including Shroud for a NIghtingale, A Mind to Murder, Cover Her Face, The Black Tower and Death of an Expert Witness.  I have noticed that some I do not have are posted on this swap so they are on my Wish List.

Leslie R.

Date Posted: 7/20/2008 8:18 PM ET

Well, this is old... sorry if the original poster isn't following the thread anymore.

Available on DVD:

"Rosemary and Thyme"- two horticulturists tour gardens and discover mysteries. The settings are supposedly as breathtaking as the crimes are interesting. Definte Cozy, ran for three seasons.

"Nero Wolfe"- Rex Stout's famous 1/3 a ton genuis is brought to life with Maury Chafin playing the orchid loving gourmetenthusiast, and Timothy Hutton as his "foot detective"- Archie Goodwin. FANTASTIC series, and the 1950's set is gorgeous. Three seasons.

"Hetty Waintrhop Investigates"- a light "Cozy style" mystery starring Patricia Routledge ("Keeping Up Appearances"). A retiree decides to start an ameteur detective agency rather than "grow old". Ran for 3-4 seasons?

"Miss Marple"- same production crew as your Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett, "Joan Hickson" as Agatha Christies own choice for the role of the cunning sleuth with the brilliant blue eyes. Excellent series. One of my favorites.

"Murder She Wrote" the CBS long series about a writer/detective starring Angela Lansbury. Twelve Seasons.

"Hamish MacBeth"- adapted from the books. I have heard this was a good series, but I can't get into a 5'6 blonde playing the 6'3 red headed MacBeth. Three seasons.

"The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries"- only five were made, starring Diana Rigg as a rich excentric who teams up with her chaffeur (lots of chemistry here) to solve murders in 1930's London (I have always wanted to see these!).

sevenspiders (Vanessa V.)

Date Posted: 8/9/2008 6:39 PM ET

I loved the Mrs. Bradley mysteries, they were so cute.  I saw them on tv when they first came out, but haven't since.

Carpe-DVD (Juli P.)

Subject: Sherlock holmes mysteries
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 4:01 PM ET

Does anyone have a list of the Sherlock Holmes movies that have been recorded and/or are available?