Discussion Forums - Horror

Topic: Scariest horror film.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
vix (Vikki M.)

Subject: Scariest horror film.
Date Posted: 11/12/2007 4:45 PM ET

I love to be scared and yet most "scary" movies tend to fall short of actually giving me the creeps.  So I'm looking for recommendations as to a movie that you think will scare the pants off me.   I'm looking for the type of film that will have me leaving my lights on at night because it's so scary.

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 11/12/2007 5:44 PM ET

Funny you should ask, just last night I watched a very unsettling movie called Pulse( the Japanese original, not the American remake which I heard wasn't as good.) I don't know what kind of horror you like, but I like the moody, psychological stuff, which Pulse delivers in spades. It doesn't have a lot of BOO! moments, but it weaves a bleak spell that leaves you contemplating loneliness, the afterlife and mankind's flair for self-destructiveness.

A Tale of Two Sisters is another great one of that type.

Say what your favorite scary movies are, maybe I can come up with better suggestions.

AshsHeroine (Ashley V.)

Date Posted: 11/12/2007 6:05 PM ET

One of the scariest movies to me was Jeepers Creepers. My friend and I had to take breaks during this movie because it scared us so much.

vix (Vikki M.)

Date Posted: 11/12/2007 7:51 PM ET

Thanks for the recommendations Dan & Ashley!  I've never heard of Pulse but it does sound like something that would be right up my alley.  I love all types of horror but the psychological stuff  I enjoy the most.  I'm definitely keeping these titles handy!

I know my brother-in-law recommended Jeepers Creepers once but then I forgot the title and just remembered it when it was mentioned here.  haha.  

AshsHeroine (Ashley V.)

Date Posted: 11/12/2007 7:57 PM ET

If you want a really good psychological thriller movie, I recommend Mindhunters. It's just weird and messed up rofl I really enjoyed it.

vix (Vikki M.)

Date Posted: 11/12/2007 7:59 PM ET

Ooh I have Mindhunters as #1 on my queue at Netflix.  I'm glad to hear it was a weird and messed up and yet enjoyable film.  I should be getting it this week once they receive the last movie I sent back.

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 11/13/2007 12:48 AM ET

I noticed that someone posted the original version of The Haunting, you might want to grab it! It holds up really well.

Some other good Asian horrors: Ringu, Marebito, Three,  Three...Extremes, The Eye, Shutter

A few other random ideas: The Innocents, Dead Again, Jacob's Ladder, Mulholland Drive

vix (Vikki M.)

Date Posted: 11/13/2007 10:10 AM ET

Ooh!  I haven't seen "The Haunting" in eons.  I should definitely think about grabbing it. 

Thanks so much for the recommendations.  I have seen "Dead Again" and "Jacob's Ladder" but the rest are new to me.  I'm going to scare myself silly!  haha

Dragonbaby (Kevin L.)

Date Posted: 11/14/2007 12:18 PM ET

The scariest time I had watching a horror movie was when I saw "Salem's Lot" during a thunderstorm and shortly after the movie ended the power went out.

Kevin

ddh (Dan H.)

Date Posted: 11/15/2007 12:30 PM ET
The scariest moment I remember in a horror movie was during Poltergeist. Two words: clown doll.
lildrafire (Tammy G.)

Date Posted: 11/17/2007 1:09 AM ET

I thought Hostel was scary since it could really happen.

A really creepy old movie is What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Strangeland was scary too....and creepy.

Of course House of 1000 Corpses--anything by Zombie...grossssss.

You have to ask yourself what scares you...

romeo (Christa P.)

Date Posted: 11/17/2007 11:15 AM ET

I prefer creepy, like The Ring or The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Not blood and gore. I haven't seen most of the movies talked about here. Will probably be checking some of them out.

Christa

pinkcypress (Rhonda O.)

Date Posted: 11/17/2007 10:45 PM ET

I was totally freaked out by The Ring!

sevenspiders (Vanessa V.)

Date Posted: 11/17/2007 11:21 PM ET

My top scary movies of all time:

The Exorcist (doesn't really scare me on repeated viewings, but it has so much atmosphere and I love it to death, this movie rocks)

Rosemary's Baby (uber-creepy and so well done)

Psycho (I watch this movie over and over and still get sucked into it)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (more gory than creepy, but still horrifying, the original of course)

Also, The Devil's Backbone is also really good and creepy if you don't mind subtitles, or I think you can get it in english now (its in spanish)

VeganFreak (Leah W.)

Date Posted: 11/18/2007 4:12 PM ET

Ghost Story. I saw it as a little girl and it scared me. I just looked it up on Amazon and laughed at the editorial review. Check it out:

Upon its release in 1981, John Irvin's version of Peter Straub's bestselling horror novel was deemed one of the worst adaptations that the genre had ever produced. Now it's available on DVD, and for the first time in widescreen presentation, and not much has changed. It's still a nearly unwatchable dud.

Ha. I guess my taste sucks.

VeganFreak (Leah W.)

Date Posted: 11/18/2007 4:17 PM ET

The Thing. I was six or seven and I rented some happy, kid movie on VHS and when I got home, found this movie in the case instead. Watched it anyway and was scarred for life. :)

dolllady (Brenda C.)

Date Posted: 11/26/2007 1:59 PM ET

The Grudge really creeped me out and my favorite that still gives me chills is Pet Semetary.

Renee8you (Cheryll C.)

Date Posted: 11/27/2007 5:14 PM ET

Session 9 is a great movie!!!!!!!

it dosent have anything gory but it is  a great movie

Stephanie P.

Date Posted: 11/27/2007 6:40 PM ET

I am a dork but Children of the Corn has been the creepiest movie I have ever seen and I still dont like watching it. I cant go anywhere near a cornfield now.

The Devils Rejects was good but I wouldnt call it horror. It is more nasty and bloody than anything.

VeganFreak (Leah W.)

Date Posted: 11/28/2007 12:15 PM ET

Anything by Rob Zombie makes me feel l need to Purell my mind. And sleep with a gun. And get a new soul.

marathon (Jeff E.)

Date Posted: 11/30/2007 3:06 AM ET
the night after i first saw Poltergeist was the last night I ever slept ten hours straight through. weirdest thing. absolutely slept like a baby. someone mentioned Jacob's Ladder, which I'd forgotten about. that one was creepy.
wipurpleprincess (Shannon M.)

Date Posted: 12/3/2007 7:41 PM ET

Hostel was sooo gross, I didn't want to see part 2.

The Ring... OMG, the scene at the end... HOLY CRAPOLA... someone jokes around and moves like that, I hafta leave the room.

Poltergeist... 100% agree on the clown doll.  YIKES.

Most of the rest I haven't seen, but am adding them to my To Be Watched list.

What about... Gothika, or What Lies Beneath?

Stephen King stuff is great as long as you're not expecting it to be like the book.

Ariadnae (Aimee S.)

Date Posted: 12/4/2007 1:13 PM ET

Frailty was a very frightening and disturbing film...I really liked it. I like the films that mess with your mind, as well. i love The Exorcist, as well as the first three Hellraiser films.  I have to second The Innocents, that was a creepy film, really good. The original The Haunting is one of my favorite films, it is timeless. I also always liked Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

Pet Sematary was also very good and Misery is excellent, and don't forget Dolores Claiborne. There was also a great horror flick called Pumpkin Head, with Lance Henrikson (sp?) which always gave me the creeps.

Impy (Jennifer G.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2007 9:28 PM ET

I'm weird, but I love the old b-horror movies like Evil Dead, House and The Unnamable (1&2).  Parts of the Unnamable STILL freak me out. :)

I love horror, but I hate gore, so I havent seen a lot of the more recent stuff.  Last horror movie I saw was when I let me kid sister choose the movie and while it had icky gore, it also had some really well-done horror- The Descent.  I wasn't too concerned with enclosed spaces before watching this, but after seeing it I will NEVER be going caving.  It was funny...the parts of the movie when nothing scary is going on, they are just having fun caving, my sister and I were cringing and saying how crazy people are. lol  And then it got even scarier and cooler.  Oddly, the only thing I hear people say about it is how the UK version was  better.

Ana B.

Date Posted: 12/26/2007 7:34 AM ET

I love any Vincent Price movie I remember the original House on Haunted Hill creeped me out and some parts still do. Price was just great at mess with your mind horror.

Page: