Discussion Forums - Science Fiction

Topic: Dragonriders of Pern movie--I wish!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Subject: Dragonriders of Pern movie--I wish!
Date Posted: 11/28/2009 2:00 PM ET

Anyone else a Dragonriders of Pern fan?  i wish they'd make a movie based on this book series; it's awsome.  I could see Viggio Mortenson playing the character, F'lar.  Too bad Dakota Fanning is so young, and that Meg Ryan is now playing mom roles--I could see someone like them playing Lessa.  She is described as petite and dark haired, maybe Winona Ryder?  (Whatever happened to her?)

ahurley53 (Amelia H.)

Subject: Dragonriders of Pern
Date Posted: 12/29/2009 11:20 AM ET

I love this series too, and would love to see it in the movies as well!

Bookstooge (Derrick J.)

Date Posted: 1/3/2010 9:23 AM ET

It would be nice. However, the demographic who know about this wonderful series is edging toward the line of being ignored by movie moguls. Kids aren't going to watch it [and hence by the vidgame tie-ins, action figures and coloring books ;-)] because they've never heard of it.

And I shudder to think what a hatchet job could occur.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 8/24/2010 8:15 PM ET

The book I Am Legend kind of rose up out of obscruity to become a blockbuster. . .I'd read the book way back when I was a teenager (I shudder to think how many decades ago that was), so there is always hope. Although, since Anne McCaffery is no longer with us, I wonder if her son is in charge of the estate and whether or not there was ever an option on her books?  Although all of the background "history" of the series might be skipped, I think the one book "The Dolphins of Pern" would make an excellent film. 

Metryq (Matthew W.)

Date Posted: 8/25/2010 8:34 PM ET

>The book I Am Legend kind of rose up out of obscruity to become a blockbuster.<

The book was a hit the moment it appeared and has been reprinted many times. None of the four film adaptations do it any justice.

Eve S.

Date Posted: 2/5/2011 10:27 PM ET

I saw this thread and thought how much I would love to see these made, but also shudder to think how bad they might be.  :)

And then I saw the comments re I Am Legend and must confess that (1) I did not know that it was a book first and (2) did not know there were film versions before the Will Smith version.