Discussion Forums - Romance

Topic: 2010 Challenge - Romantic Comedy category

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
bookreadera (Meghan A.)

Subject: 2010 Challenge - Romantic Comedy category
Date Posted: 1/4/2010 9:44 AM ET

I watched My Life in Ruins for this category and here's my review:

Earlier published reviews of this film stated disapointment that "this is no My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Well, it isn't. It's "My Life in Ruins." Romantic comedies are either more comedy/less romance (as my Big Fat...) or less comedy/more romance. "My Life in Ruins is the latter. There are some funny scenes, but for the most part, this is just a sweet romance with great scenery (mainly filmed in Spain, but beautiful anyway.) It's endearing. It's uplifting. It's fun. It's on my keeper shelf.

jojogal (Jody O.)

Subject: My Fave Romantic Comedy
Date Posted: 2/28/2010 7:21 PM ET

I would have to say, even though it's an older movie, that one of my fave romantic comedies has to be "Pretty Woman" with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts.  Their relationship on the screen seemed very natural, and I felt they worked together easily, making the movie such a pleasure to watch. 

Of course this would probably never happen in real life... people just don't learn to be elegant and graceful so quickly, so I also viewed it as kind of a romance/comedy/fantasy movie.  But that could be what makes it so endearing.  This, in my opinion, is one of those movies you can watch over and over again, never tiring of seeing her mistakes (at first), and feeling horrible for her when she first went to Rodeo Dr to shop for a cocktail dress and no one would help her.  Richard Gere certainly was her "knight in shining armor" at that point, as he was many times over.

I certainly would recommend this to anyone who has not seen it.  This is one I will always keep.

Well, my Siggy didn't work, I'll try to figure it out

Last Edited on: 2/28/10 7:22 PM EST - Total times edited: 1