Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Why no app for Blackberry or Iphone?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
mermaidsushi (Rebecca E.)

Subject: Why no app for Blackberry or Iphone?
Date Posted: 1/18/2010 2:31 AM ET

I just got a Blackberry Curve and am in LOVE with it and all the fancy apps but sadly there isn't one for SADVD and I can't even get the website to function beyond the log in page.  I was wondering if there were any chance of the site launching a mobile app or at least making it easier to navigate on cel phones.  Who else thinks that this would be great?  Think about it!  If you were able to look up wishlisted DVDs while you were out browsing used DVDs then you would be ale to tell when you should buy it or if there were a zillion copies in the system, you could just order it then!

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 1/18/2010 9:39 AM ET

Swapadvd works on the Safari browser on Iphone. I don't know anything about blackberrys though. Although a simpler app would be nice for Iphone! I don't mind using the browser to log in, but it takes lots of reverse pinching to make the screen readable.

mermaidsushi (Rebecca E.)

Date Posted: 1/19/2010 10:57 PM ET

Well on mine the main page doesn't let me log in, so I have to go to the top of the page and select the log in page there, once I'm logged in, it won't let me do anything.  I wouldn't mind using it and having to zoom in all the time, but It just doesn't want to work for me at all.  :(

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 1/20/2010 10:35 AM ET

It doesn't work on my phone because it requires that cookies be enabled, or something like that.  That's not possible on my phone.  *sigh*

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 1/20/2010 9:52 PM ET

hmm what kind of phone do you have kerry? It also works on Ipod Touch, if you have one of those, but that doesn't have ready internet access unless you are wi-fi enabled.

m5rammy (Rammy M.)

Date Posted: 8/3/2011 1:26 PM ET

(a year and a half later ...)

Still no app, but I have a "Barcode Scanner" app (on Android) that lets me set a Custom URL, so I set up:

http://www.swapadvd.com/dvd/browser.php?k=%s&s_type=d&ss=

where  %s  is the scanned data (the UPC) , that way I can at least check (at a garage sale, etc) if a DVD is requested (or available). I would assume there are similar options in scanner apps for other OS's

Also there is an app (I have not tested) calld "AskDroid Desktop Search Widget" whose description starts"One widget, 300 search engines. Need we say more?"  and Swapadvd is one of the multitude (but not the sister sites)

R

yeejkoob (Yengkong S.)

Date Posted: 8/3/2011 8:45 PM ET

I don't think they'll make an app for blackberry since blackberry's are going out of date. Androids and iPhone are mostly taking over the market now. At least that's what it looks like.

Johnny S.

Date Posted: 9/12/2011 4:46 PM ET

My android works fine, with the website, but BB does not. It would be nice to have a barcode scanner type method but that could be a headache as well, at least with my phone that scans only about 20% of the ones I put in front of it.  An app would be awsome but programmers are expensive. I've already submitted some suggestions but I also understand that website coding is also no easy thing. I'm working on an Android app for my own and unrelated website and it's been a challenge since I'm not a programmer by trade. And if you create one for the Android platform then you need to make one for the iPhone too and the process is horrendous. Another option would be to implement a "SADVD mobile" site.

MooVJunkE (Daniel B.)

Date Posted: 9/30/2011 11:29 AM ET

I just followed Rammy's post and it worked great for scanning a barcode and pulling up the movie in Swapadvd!  Super easy :)  Thanks Rammy!

(I have an android and used the specific app called "barcode scanner")

Momof2boys (Sheryl B.)

Date Posted: 9/30/2011 12:29 PM ET

I have a BB Bold and have no problems navigating SADVD through my browser.

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 10/2/2011 12:43 PM ET

Sheryl, this is also an almost-2 year- old thread so I bet BB browsers have gotten better in the meantime... 2 years ago is ancient in phone terms...

Sgt-Kabukiman-NYPD (Matt M.)

Date Posted: 11/1/2011 1:20 PM ET
It's just easier to have an app so you can scan it and be on you way for when your out looking for wish list DVDs instead of having to type it all and it takeing forever
Xiaoke X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/3/2018 10:16 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0
Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:48 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0