Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Blockbuster cases for Blu-ray discs - yeah or nay?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
movienut (Darwin H.)

Subject: Blockbuster cases for Blu-ray discs - yeah or nay?
Date Posted: 2/13/2010 6:08 PM ET

Hey everyone,

Looking for some feedback here. Looks like there are now enough Blu-rays out there that Blockbuster is selling off old copies once demand drops. But they store them in their own black cases. They don't alter the original artwork when they transfer them. They merely put a blue border behind the artwork to fill up the blank area of the case above where the artwork ends. But for storage puposes and aesthetic reasons some of us prefer to have all their Blu-rays in the regular smaller, slimmer original Blu-ray cases.

When I receive a standard DVD in a torn up, broken, or extremely dirty case it is not a problem. I have a local retail store that sells brand new same as "original" standard DVD cases for 30 cents each. I just buy a box of ten for $3.00 and replace them as necessary. But I have yet to find a place that sells empty "original" Blu-ray cases at a reasonable price. So it is more of a concern to me should I start receiving Blu-rays in Blockbuster cases.

Anyone found blank "original" Blu-ray cases for sale at a reasonable price?

Anyone know if SwapADVD has weighed in on whether these Blockbuster cases are OK for sending Blu-rays?

If you are requesting Blu-rays I would like to know how you feel about this situation.

The question has also come up in our Blu-ray WishList Virtual Box game and I need to make a decision there as well.  So any input fellow Blu-ray seekers would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Movienut

Last Edited on: 2/15/10 3:06 PM EST - Total times edited: 5
rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 6:20 PM ET

From the help center:

You must include the original case and artwork/covers with DVDs that you mail out.

To me, that would mean that they can't be sent in the Blockbuster cases because those are not the original case for BluRays.

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 6:28 PM ET

except they are the original cases.... They are the cases you buy them in, I really dont see any help from the help center on this topic.

movienut (Darwin H.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 6:30 PM ET

Melissa,

I hear you. However the same exact argument could be applied to standard DVDs and they get mailed in Blockbuster cases quite often. Granted replacement Blockbuster cases are clearly closer in design to standard DVD cases than Blu-ray ones yet strictly speaking they are not original.

SeeKingChrist (Simon D.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 6:36 PM ET

That's odd Darwin because my local Blockbuster sales used Blu's in their original cases. I guess it all depends on the management. Maybe if you ask they'd give you some Blu cases since I'm sure they get in new ones on a weekly basis and discard the cases. As far as trading them on here through the system I wouldn't do it. Sounds like a RWAP waiting to happen. Might be best to play it safe and stick em' in the bazaar.

rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 6:47 PM ET

While replacement cases for regular DVDs are ok it is because they are the exact same size with just minor discrepancies to the interior.  The blockbuster cases that I have seen BluRays in are the size of standard DVD cases which are clearly larger than the way the DVDs are commercially sold and manufactured.  You may want to use the Contact Us feature for clarification, but yes, I would RWAP a BluRay that was sent in a replacement case which is not the standard "original" for that form of media. 

**EDIT**  Found slightly better clarification in the Help Docs:

Yes, all DVDs at SwapaDVD have to be the original discs, in the original case (or an identical replacement including all outside artwork).

So, from this, the replacement case would need to be identical which the Blockbuster ones are not.

Last Edited on: 2/13/10 6:49 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 6:56 PM ET

And here's a few links to replacement Blu Ray cases:

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Replacement-Blu-ray-DVBR12BR-Blue-Ray/dp/B000U0HRJM

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=blu+ray+replacement+case

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 7:06 PM ET

Wow ya'll have made me glad I did not purchase any blurays at my Bb to post here.  I don't own a bluray player myself but have watched the prices at BB knowing that most all titles are wl.  I want to say they are sold in a semitransparent clue case but haven't really picked one up and examined it. Guess I won't be granting any Bluray wishes  :O)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 7:55 PM ET

Hmm, I dont like the idea that that is going to keep people from posting blurays through the system.... I can understand both sides, but id rather have more blurays being posted imo

Whocares (Jean M.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 10:20 PM ET

It does not bother me as long as it's disclosed, I bought 10 BR covers from ebay for 16.88 including shipping...it's the real cover art that matters to me, as I cannot rent them out without the original cover art.

I would taher have more blues to choose from and if a case matters I will purchase one

rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 11:17 PM ET

Shellie,

BluRay cases are blue and clear just slightly wider than slimline cases but not as wide as a standard DVD case.  They are also shorter so they are pretty easy to tell if it is the original case or not.  Many blockbusters, as Darwin's original post refers to, simply put their previously viewed Blus into standard DVD replacement cases which are larger.  Someone posting those DVDs as is in the wrong size case would be a similar situation as to someone who would send a regular DVD in a cheaper slimline case instead of the full size replacement. 

The Blockbuster Blu-Rays are fine and I'm sure people would be happy to receive them (in good working order), but if they are not in a Blu-Ray case and you don't have an identical replacement case, then it should be offered in the bazaar and I'm sure that it would be snatched up pretty quickly, but according to the site, it would not be postable as is in the larger case.

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 2/14/2010 7:47 PM ET

While I personally wouldn't mind providing my own replacement case, should the Blu Ray be a keeper, I have to agree with Melissa on this one.

The BB cases that are standard DVD cases are not an identical, or even close,  match for the original blu ray cases.  It is a blu ray in a dvd case, any way you look at it. BB dvds put into bb cases are still dvds in dvd cases. 

I would probably clarify with the team on this one, but that's my humble opinion. :)

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 8:09 AM ET

Here is the response from feedback asking if blockbuster dvd cases are a suitable replacement:

Dear Kathryn,

Yes, those are fine. You might want to send the requestor a note to let him/her know, just to be courteous. If the requestor does not want the item because of the case, the transaction should be canceled form the REQUESTOR'S end. If the requestor can no longer cancel the transaction because you have accessed the address, contact us to cancel.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to contact us. Thank you for being a Charter Member of the best DVD club in America. Please tell everyone who enjoys watching movies about our club, because the more members we have the more DVDs for everyone to trade!

We hope this information is helpful. Have a great day!

The SwapaDVD Team

skinnystell (Carolyn S.)

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 8:27 AM ET

Thanks Kathryn - that really helps!

rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 9:23 AM ET

Kathryn,

Do you mind posting your question to them as well?  It's disappointing that they would make the requestor cancel and lose their place in line.  Guess I'll be buying blank cases from Ebay.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 9:25 AM ET

Thank you Kathryn for taking the time to contact feedback and for sharing the results.  I hope everyone reads the reply. 

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 12:05 PM ET

Here's my question to them:

The blurays Ive bought from blockbuster do not come in bluray cases, but come in regular dvd cases with original artwork and a blue background to fill the rest of the case. Is this acceptable to post if the rest of the items that need to match do (ie # discs, upc, etc)?

rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 1:07 PM ET

Thanks for posting both Kathryn!  Just got back from Sam's Club and they do not have replacement Blu cases.  I'll try to check Target and Walmart later in the week to see if either of them would have them locally instead of having to order them.

movienut (Darwin H.)

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 3:19 PM ET

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Extra special thanks to:

• Kathryn - who posted to the SwapADVD team and got the "official" response. Then was kind enough to share both the question and the answer with all of us.
  • The SwapADVD team - for weighing in so quickly with a decision
  • and Melissa - whose links to Amazon and Ebay convinced me to check one more time for reasonably priced blank Blu-ray cases.

I found some on E-bay. I purchased 40 assorted Blu-ray replacement cases (20 single and 20 double-disc) shipped for $20. I consider 50 cents per case to be quite reasonable. Rest assured if you ever receive any Blu-ray movies from me that they will be in good shape and will come in "original" Blu-ray cases and not black Blockbuster ones, (even though we now know they are OK to post that way).

If anyone is interested in my impression of the quality of the cases once they arrive in a week or so just PM me.

Thanks again everyone.

Last Edited on: 2/15/10 6:26 PM EST - Total times edited: 4
Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 3:44 PM ET

Whocares (Jean M.) stated:
it's the real cover art that matters to me, as I cannot rent them out without the original cover art.

Do you have a rental store??

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 5:52 PM ET

Darwin - since you mentioned it I went and looked on ebay and got 20 of each too, I hadnt been able to find them that cheap before, 50 cents is a no brainer.  Ive done research on buying cases before and the cheapest I ever found was around 1.50 shipped and that just wouldnt have been worth it for me.  Thanks for letting us know :-)

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 2/15/2010 6:14 PM ET

Just thought I'd add: I asked about the Bluray cases when I was at BB this morning.  I was told they are shipped to the stores in those cases -- not the transparent blue cases like they are sold in retail stores. 

jorgito2001 (Jorge S.)

Date Posted: 2/16/2010 4:31 PM ET

This is a very informative thread & glad someone brought it up as all my local BB's ALSO have all the used Blu's in the standard DVD cases...

I ain't gonna lie, I'd truly be against the "fence" accepting a Blu posted to me with this kind of case...I guess it depends how bad I really want the movie!

Tina M.

Date Posted: 2/16/2010 5:15 PM ET

you can try on freecycle.org in your area and post that you are looking for them.  i have found some on there and also dvd cases.    i have a boxful that people were going to throw away that i got thru that site

King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 5/14/2018 10:17 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 7:18 PM EST - Total times edited: 0

Page: