Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: region 14??? help.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
erubiob (Eydie B.)

Subject: region 14??? help.
Date Posted: 5/22/2010 1:56 PM ET

What is region 14 and will it work in my DVD player, computer, and PSP? I recived 2 DVDs yesterday and thery are region 14. Are we even supposed to swap these? How should I mark it? The UPC's match in the system. I want to keep them but as long as they work. I dont have time to check them today, so any help appreciated. Thanks.

Last Edited on: 5/22/10 1:58 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
papaschild (Laura F.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2010 2:26 PM ET

I'm not sure what Region 14 is, but I beleive it must be Region 1 in order for it to be postable.  From the rules":

SwapaDVD is unable to allow the barter or exchange of any imported DVDs that do not have a verifiable UPC  and Region 1 (North America) encoding.  

patjang (Patricia J.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2010 2:31 PM ET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

Region code Area
0 Informal term meaning "worldwide". Region 0 is not an official setting; discs that bear the region 0 symbol either have no flag set or have region 1?6 flags set.
1 Canada, United States, U.S. territories, Bermuda
2 Europe (except Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus), Middle East, Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, French overseas territories, Greenland
3 Southeast Asia, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau
4 Mexico, Central and South America, Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, Oceania
5 Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa (except Egypt, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, and French overseas territories), Central and South Asia, Mongolia, North Korea
6 People's Republic of China, Hong Kong
7 Reserved for future use (found in use on protected screener copies of MPAA-related DVDs and "media copies" of pre-releases in Asia)
8 International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships, etc.
ALL Region ALL discs have all 8 flags set, allowing the disc to be played in any locale on any player.

no reference to region 14, is it region 1 + region 4?

erubiob (Eydie B.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2010 2:56 PM ET

I thought maybe it was region 1 + region 4, but its a animae (sp?) cartoon movies, so region 4 wouldn't aply right? Its strange. I did get to try on this computer and it worked. Just dont know about the other players and Im leaving soon.

lovedvds05 (Tammy L.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2010 5:49 PM ET

This is in the help center (I've never heard of region 14 either-maybe that is an import?):

What does Region 1 mean?

The region code is normally shown on the back DVD cover as a digit inside a small globe with horizontal and vertical lines inside it.

DVDs may be encoded with a region code that restricts which areas of the world they can be played in. DVDs with Region 1 encoding are playable on DVD players sold in the United States (and its territories), Canada, and the Cayman Islands. Region 0 DVDs will play in Region 1,2,3,4,5,6 players and Region ALL DVDs will play in all 8 Regions.

If the DVD is specifically marked as "Region 1", "Region 0", "Region FREE", or "Region ALL", it is postable at SwapaDVD.

Last Edited on: 5/22/10 5:52 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
Tizmo (Victor T.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2010 6:57 PM ET

If the DVD is specifically marked as "Region 1", "Region 0", "Region FREE", or "Region ALL", it is postable at SwapaDVD.

This is another one of those rules that is different depending on where you look!

In the red sticky note at the top of the Bazaar it states:                                               

Because we have no way of verifying the authenticity of individual discs, we must insist that all imported DVDs traded here have both UPCs and Region 1 encoding.  Your strict compliance with this policy is required to maintain your account status

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2010 7:14 PM ET

Region 0 DVDs will play in Region 1,2,3,4,5,6 players and Region ALL DVDs will play in all 8 Regions.

I have to disagree with that too, I have gotten region 0 and region all dvds off of various places and some will not play in my player. It depends on how old your player is. For that reason, it is better safe than sorry and only post region 1 dvds.

erubiob (Eydie B.)

Date Posted: 5/23/2010 5:04 AM ET

I think I figured it out. I looked at some of the other discs my brother has and it shows region 1-4. The dash is visible on his DVD. So its for region one thru four, which makes it ok, right? The UPC matches in the system and it plays fine, so I should just mark it recived. Thanks for the input.

Funnyents F.

Subject: edited by SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 8/4/2017 2:48 AM ET

edited by SwapaDVD Team

King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 5/14/2018 10:17 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 7:18 PM EST - Total times edited: 0
Xiaoke X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/3/2018 10:09 PM ET