Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Question about ex-rental DVDs

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Dan P.

Subject: Question about ex-rental DVDs
Date Posted: 5/30/2010 4:42 PM ET

I have received some DVDs from the site that were ex-rentals from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video which is fine by me, I just want to watch the movie. Now I'm getting ready to post some that I'm done with to my tower and have a few general questions. Do I need to remove the stickers from the cases? I assume it OK to list ex-rental copies, right?

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 5/30/2010 6:07 PM ET

Hi Dan,

Yes, it is fine to post ex-rentals.  It is a shame the person who sent it to you did not remove the stickers first.  I always do. The stickers usually come off easier at first than after they have been there awhile.  A nice thing about ex-rentals is the case it usually stronger than the typical dvd case.  Like you, I don't mind ex-rentals as long as the person is selective about what they purchase.  I drive them crazy at my BB because I make them open each one before I buy it.  I check out the artwork before I take it to the counter, I check out the disc before I pay and then I ALWAYS watch anything I buy before I send it out. I also wipe off any fingerprints or smudges with a microfiber cloth.   I wish others would do the same whether buying them at rental stores, garage sales or pawn shops.

The same rules apply as to all dvds you post -- must play, must have original artwork and must come in a case.

A hint if you are trying to get the stickers off and having trouble -- remove the artwork before using any products to try to soften the adhesive.  I've gotten dvds where the artwork is damaged by liquid and I wondered if that was what happened.  Or maybe they were just using it as a coaster  :O)

dazeerae (Sheena C.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2010 10:08 AM ET

Dan, When I first joined SwapaDVD, someone gave me several previously rental videos.  I was able to get remove the stickers by heating them with a blow dryer.  It helps soften the glue so you can remove the sticker.  I don't think you have to remove the stickers, but I like to take them off if I can, and I also remove any sharpie markings from the top of the DVD disc using nail polish remover. 

Last Edited on: 6/8/10 10:09 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
rackoflamb (Rachel C.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2010 11:53 AM ET

GooGone is magic at removing sticker residue.

(Sheena, thanks for the nail polish remover tip!)

SarithaAnn (Sara C.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2010 12:20 PM ET

"GooGone is magic at removing sticker residue."

So is WD-40 .   I have found I have the same luck with WD-40 as Goo Gone and  you get much more for the money.  ;)

KatlynAva (Kat D.)

Date Posted: 6/15/2010 3:12 AM ET

I just don't like rental copies. They're always more banged up.

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 6/15/2010 8:18 AM ET

I've gotten plenty of blockbuster copies that were in perfect condition and plenty of retail dvds that are very banged up.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/15/2010 10:52 AM ET

I'm with you Kathryn.  The only dvds I've received that did not play were retail.

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 6/16/2010 2:17 AM ET

Usually the ex-rentals are buffed back to near perfect condition before they are sold. Hastings, Blockbuster and Family Video all do this (at least at the stores I have visited.) 

I've had very good luck with rentals. The only rentals I have gotten that were banged up were ones that spent some time in a private collection and were not handled well.

King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 5/14/2018 10:22 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 7:18 PM EST - Total times edited: 0
Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:44 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0