Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: received dvd with scratched upc code

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
skinnystell (Carolyn S.)

Subject: received dvd with scratched upc code
Date Posted: 6/3/2010 2:55 PM ET

I just received a dvd with half the numbers on the upc code scratched out. What am I supposed to do know? How do I mark that?

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2010 8:50 PM ET

I would mark it RWAP because you cannot verify the UPC.

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2010 9:09 PM ET

Yep, Toni is right. RWAP and it would go under Wrong DVD, since there is no UPC (slashed out numbers are the equivalent of no upc).  i recently got a movie this same way. 

skinnystell (Carolyn S.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2010 11:13 PM ET

oh ok - thanks! should i send a pm to the sender or just leave it alone after that?

Orlswapper (Phil R.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2010 11:20 PM ET

I'm a great believer in giving everyone a second chance.  I'd PM the sender and give'em a chance to make it right.  If they don't ...RWAP'em

Last Edited on: 6/3/10 11:21 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2010 11:31 PM ET

I'm with you Phil.  I've had a couple of dvds that wouldn't play recently, but when I PMed the members, they made it right.  :O)  I'm happy and they don't get a RWAP on their record.  I know Jessy will tell you that you are not required to do this, but I like to give them a chance first. 

Orlswapper (Phil R.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2010 11:45 PM ET

I do a lot of things in this life I'm not required to.  I just choose to do them.

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 6/4/2010 2:12 PM ET

Haha Shellie!  yep, you aren't *required* to... but I usually try to pm first. Not only do they get a RWAP on their record, but you get a mark for marking it RWAP... not a bad mark, but it would be like if you have 19 out of 20 marked RWAP, they might think something fishy is going on.  If someone is hostile though, or in denial, I go ahead and mark RWAP. I don't have enough time to let something get me worked up over!

skinnystell (Carolyn S.)

Date Posted: 6/4/2010 2:15 PM ET

thanks all - ill go pm him now.

Videophile (John S.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2010 10:11 AM ET

I'm new here, so excuse my ignorance, but I don't see what the problem is.  If the sender recevied the correct DVD with a scratched out bar code that is playable with the original disc cover and case it sounds like a good trade to me.  Why would someone be upset with that?  I went and looked, and there's nothing in the rules against sending scratched UPC codes, so I'm confused.

skinnystell (Carolyn S.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2010 12:20 PM ET

hey john - you have to be able to post the movie. but with the upc number scratched out, you wouldnt know what number to type in to post it again.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2010 2:56 PM ET

Hi John, 

Welcome to SaDVD!!  I hope this is just a small blip as you get started having wonderful trades.  :O)

Just to clarify: A scratch through just the bar code would not make it unpostable.  What makes it unpostable is the scratch through the upc numbers so that it can't be read.  

I understand you wondering "what is the problem if she got the right item?" But Carolyn  is correct, for it to be postable, she must be able to post it.

SaDVD requires the proper upc on any item posted into the system.  There is however, the DVD Bazaar where items that are not postable can be offered for credits.If you ever have any questions, just ask, there are lots of helpful people around the forums.

Happy Swapping!!

Videophile (John S.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2010 6:21 PM ET

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to explain!  It makes sense now.

Blackettle (Larry W.)

Subject: Could it have been damaged in the mail?
Date Posted: 6/9/2010 8:46 AM ET
I find big lots has some with stickers over the UPC. But as for me I wouldn't have noticed if the UPC is damaged as I repost from my transaction archive.
KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 6/9/2010 10:05 AM ET

I stopped reposting from my transaction archive and check every dvd that comes in. I've gotten some where the UPC doesnt bring up the right movie or doesnt bring up a movie at all, and I don't want to have someone else RWAP my dvd because someone before me posted it when it shouldn't be posted. I had this happen where someone sent a bootleg dvd with printed artwork - if I had reposted from my transaction archive instead of catching it immediately when I tried to post the upc I would have made someone else not too happy too instead of just myself.

skinnystell (Carolyn S.)

Date Posted: 6/9/2010 10:26 PM ET

there was no way it was damaged in the mail because the slash was through the upc code and the numbers like a store did it and it was securely wrapped in bubble wrap and then in a manilla envelope.

thanks for saying that kathryn. after i watch a movie, if its one i dont want, i just click the post button off my tower as long as the case, artwork and disc look good. do you check  the upc before you mark it received? im going to start typing it in too.

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 6/9/2010 10:39 PM ET

I check mine before marking received. I have been burned several times by not checking the UPC... enough to make me start checking every one that comes in.

Date Posted: 6/9/2010 11:05 PM ET

I actually read on the message boards about that happening to someone, so I only got burned with 1. I've caught like 5ish others though.

heavenztrash (Wil J.)

Date Posted: 6/10/2010 7:39 PM ET

I'm not trying to be difficult, but if a dvd has a couple of numbers unreadable and is otherwise perfectly fine or is scratched through/stickered over like a Big Lots dvd may be (and I've seen this a lot of times myself), couldn't someone just do a google search for "<film title> UPC Code" and find the upc to use with relative ease?

I've done this previously with dvds bought from Big Lots without realizing that I was doing anything against the rules.  (Obviously, now I know and will discontinue this practice, but it just seems like a very easy task to find out the correct UPC code for a dvd that's been stickered over.)

TO CLARIFY, I am not referring to bootlegs or reprinted artwork, ONLY to situations where a barcode has been stickered over or slashed through like Big Lots is fond of doing.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/10/2010 10:17 PM ET

Wil.

Welcome to SaDVD!!

The dvds you describe are perfect ones to offer in the bazaar, but SaDVD rules are clear that if the upc is unreadable, the dvd is unpostable.  I believe SaDVD staff even responed to this very question in a thread sometime back.  I know others have been told not to look upc #s up on the internet.

I would imagine if enough of the sticker could be removed to read the #s then you could post it. If it is slashed or has black ink that makes it unreadable, it is unpostable.

Happy Swapping!!

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 6/10/2010 10:26 PM ET

The problem is that there are often several versions of a movie available, each with slightly different features and often with the same artwork.  When you google for the UPC code, you could very easily mistake your movie version for a different one.  Then the receiver ends up with a full screen version when they wanted widescreen . . . or the movie-only version when they wanted the one with the director commentary . . . or whatever.

Date Posted: 6/11/2010 9:58 AM ET

Yea, I'm not so happy when I get fullscreen instead of widescreen, thats for sure. I've had the reverse happen once (had a 3 for 2 deal on a tower) and was happy enough about it to mark it received without a problem though :-) I did however tell the sender though to be careful about that happening, because some people are very particular about their movie viewing.

heavenztrash (Wil J.)

Date Posted: 6/11/2010 6:27 PM ET

Yeah, I can understand the problem, particularly when people don't pay attention to which version the film is.  I managed a Suncoast for years and make sure I have the right versions of things reflexively, I forget not everyone thinks to do that.  No worries. =)  As I said before, now that I know we aren't supposed to, I've stopped doing that.

mobilemark (Mark P.)

Date Posted: 6/12/2010 11:22 PM ET

but arent some upc codes crossedoff because the store had them on sale? or at discount

they do that so thiier scanner wont charge regular price

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/12/2010 11:38 PM ET

Mark I think the ones you are referring to have the mark on the shrinkwrap.  Once it is removed, the upc should show clearly.  Unless there is a cut that goes all the way through, the artwork would have had to be removed from the case to mark out the upc enough to make it unpostable.

Page: