Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Wrong version received...advice?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
sylvrilyn (E. K. H.)

Subject: Wrong version received...advice?
Date Posted: 6/23/2010 4:57 PM ET

Okay, so I requested the "repackaged" version of a season of Buffy, because I wanted the slim case packaging rather than the annoying-as-hell original foldout packaging.  Well, the one I got is the original packaging, but what I'm noticing is that there's no UPC on this copy.  Maybe there never was one on the original releases, or it was on the shrinkwrap or something.  Obviously these are being traded, so I guess people are posting them without UPCs.  It's not exactly an official "problem," since all the discs and packaging are there, but it's also not the version I wanted...

I believe the trader sent me this in good faith, but it still annoys me.  I could repost it (as the right version) and try again, but I might have the same problem.  Or I could just suck it up and deal with the annoyance.  What would you do?

Orlswapper (Phil R.)

Date Posted: 6/23/2010 6:26 PM ET

I think you're just going to have to suck it up.  Referring to the trading rules, No UPC, No post.  It shouldn't have been posted to you to begin with and you would have been within your rights to RWAP (Received With A Problem) the set.  You won't be able to repost it without the UPC.  You could, of course, post it in the Bazaar, where such items are generally traded.  We seem to be seeing more and more of the problem of members posting using UPCs from other similar items while their item is not in the SwapaDVD database; or in this case no UPC at all.  In this case the UPC was probably printed on a paper wrapper that was secured by the plastic packaging.  Almost certainly this set is a legiimate set, however it's not postable.  Case in point...you didn't get what you thought you were getting.  The sender just picked a UPC that looked more or less like what she had and posted it.  That's a No-no.

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 6/23/2010 6:45 PM ET

Phils right - what happened is actually an official problem and you were well within your rights to mark it RWAP if you have not already marked it received. Unfortunately for you, you cannot repost it, however you might write feedback and tell them what happened. If you explain that you were unaware of the rule about UPC numbers having to be the exact numbers on the item and were not sure how to mark the dvd when you got it, and only afterwords found out in the forums that the sender was in the wrong, they may be able to help you out. Or they could just tell you that its too late, but its worth a try. Since you didnt say if you had marked it received yet, I hope you havent or that its been a recent enough transaction that swapadvd can correct it for you.

sylvrilyn (E. K. H.)

Date Posted: 6/23/2010 7:31 PM ET

Thanks, guys.  I haven't marked it received yet because I was dithering about how to handle it.  I hesitated to mark it RWAP, but it sounds like that's the thing to do.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/23/2010 7:58 PM ET

Yes, not only because the item was unpostable, but also to get you back in your place in the WL for the correct item if it is a WL item.

Fortunately, this is NOT the usual.  Most trades on here are wonderful!  :O)

rackoflamb (Rachel C.)

Date Posted: 6/24/2010 10:34 AM ET

After you mark RWAP, perhaps you could offer to mail it back to the original sender for 1 credit to cover postage. Usually isn't worth it for a single movie, but as it's a set, sender might want it back.

Date Posted: 6/24/2010 10:54 AM ET

You could also always pm the member and explain the rules, then offer it back to them for your credits back +1 credit extra to cover shipping costs to send it back to them without marking it RWAP. Some members prefer to buy back their problems rather than receive a RWAP mark. With RWAP the offending member usually still gets their credits unless it happens to them several times and becomes a pattern, but I think swapadvd prefers that you work it out with the sender and get your credits back that way (although I find the majority don't know the rules and would rather just RWAP and get their credits rather than having to deal with the hassle).

Last Edited on: 6/24/10 10:58 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
sylvrilyn (E. K. H.)

Date Posted: 6/24/2010 12:18 PM ET

Thanks, guys!  I especially like the last two suggestions.  I'll go PM the person now!

sylvrilyn (E. K. H.)

Date Posted: 6/24/2010 10:50 PM ET

Great, it's a newbie who apparently hasn't read the rules...now I'll feel even more guilty for RWAP-ing, since it seems it's their only transaction.  They seem to think I'm being unreasonable to care about how it's packaged.  Am I?  That's kind of the reason the listings for the two versions are separate in the database, right?

Ugh.  Sometimes calming people down is more trouble than it's worth (and I'm referring to swapping in general, not particularly this site).

papaschild (Laura F.)

Date Posted: 6/24/2010 11:14 PM ET

If the  senders think you are being unreasonable about asking them to adhere to the rules, they very likely don't intend to follow them in the future.  I would go ahead and contact Feedback and mark it RWAP.  I know you hate to leave a mark on their record and that is commendable, but it sounds like you did what you could.  The stie guys will likely want to look at your correspondance to see what you tried already , and what the response was.

Date Posted: 6/24/2010 11:17 PM ET

Yea, if people refuse to adhere by the rules specifically stated in the help section, then theres really nothing you can do. You should not be forced to "eat it" just because someone doesnt feel the rules apply to them...That would be like going to jail for someone breaking into YOUR house. Sure it happens but its not really fair and if you can avoid it then that the best course of action :-)

Orlswapper (Phil R.)

Date Posted: 6/25/2010 12:17 AM ET

I'm with Laura and Kathryn on this.  If the newbie won't follow the rules, they should take their trading elsewhere.  The rules are there for a reason.  You've gone out of your way to help them; it's time to WRAP them and put this behind you.  You're actually doing a favor for other traders who may deal with this trader in the future, and for the offending trader!

Oh, refer them to this thread.

Last Edited on: 6/25/10 12:18 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 6/25/2010 5:29 PM ET

great advice given out here!

I've nothing to add except yes