Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Is this a problem or not?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
nonvenomous (Bronwen C.)

Subject: Is this a problem or not?
Date Posted: 11/23/2010 1:39 AM ET

Hi there!

So I ordered a 6 credit set and it arrived today in HORRIBLE condition. The set cover is frayed on every single corner and torn and ripped in places. Each individual disk cover is cut through (as if with a razor blade). The dvds seem playable but I haven't tested them yet. Now, when I go to the "is my dvd okay to post?" section of the help files, it says that if the cover is ripped, or of it is in any condition that I would be unhappy to receive in, that I should not post it. So I'm thinking that the sender shouldn't have posted it. Then when I go to the "received with a problem" button, it says (and I'm paraphrasing) that no matter how bad it looks, if it plays that I can not report it as a problem.

What would you do? Should I report it and get my credits back? I mean it's horrible, I would NEVER post it here. Would you just let it go?

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 7:17 AM ET

report it RWAP - damaged by sender unless the outside packaging was destroyed and its possibly a USPS damaged. The rules are a little inconsistant when you go to mark it but you should follow the help center rules and not the ones when you go to mark it that says only the disc playing is required.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 10:20 AM ET

I would think that the corners being frayed is normal wear and tear.  I think there is a certain measurment applied to ripped artwork.  I don't remember if it is an inch or an inch and a half.  This is a used dvd site -- as long as the artwork meets the criteria to be repostable and the dvds play, I would accept the set.

Hi Bronwen, I wrote the above and then read your post again.  I'm curious about this stmt:  Each individual disk cover is cut through (as if with a razor blade) Where are the cuts? if it is a single cut through the upc, that could have been done at the store. if it goes across the front of the cover for more than 1&1/2" I would agree it is unpostable.

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 10:26 AM ET

Each individual disk cover is cut through (as if with a razor blade) 

Even then the cuts would have to be on the actual artwork.  Are you saying that the disc cover is the artwork?  (just trying to understand better).  You can't RWAP for a broken case (as these are easily & cheaply replaced).  The big questions are...is the artwork in tact with no damage (within the acceptable posting guidelines)?  Are the discs playable?

Kellie

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 10:38 AM ET

Its 1/2 inch for tears. I took "torn and ripped in places" to probably mean theres one thats greater than half an inch, but thats what I get for assuming I guess ;-)

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 11:41 AM ET

You may be right Kathryn, I just wanted to point out there is such a thing as normal wear and tear.  :O)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 11:45 AM ET

indeed true. There are some movies I've gotten that I wouldnt ever want to see traded, but that doesnt mean they werent postable :-(

icepeanut (Jean M.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 12:37 PM ET

Not all cases are easily replaced.  Some cases for multi disk sets are in a slip case and the inside part unfolds; these are not easily replaced.  I received one of the Sex and the City seasons without the slip case and the the fold out pieces were coming apart, one part was only attached at the very corner.  I have no way of replacing the case for this.  I didn't mark it RWAP since the DVD title didn't include slip case or o-ring or whatever it is called.  I realized after the fact that I should have marked it RWAP for damaged art work since the fold out part was the artwork.

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 12:49 PM ET

When I refer to cases, I mean the regular plastic DVD cases or the slimline cases.  This does not include "snappers" or where the artwork is actually attached to the case.  That would be why I asked for better clarification.  Most TV series that I have seen come in slimline cases (and yes there are exceptions, which goes without saying).  If this is the case, these can be replaced and shouldn't be marked RWAP.  If the case consists of the artwork attached and it is damaged, then yes...RWAP.  But I prefer better clarification before making a definate answer.

Could you possibly post a pic?

Kellie

nonvenomous (Bronwen C.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 3:53 PM ET

Hi all,

Sorry but no pictures. I just don't have the time right now. (Another reason why this post took a day to respond to, sorry). This is not normal wear and tear. This looks like the dvds were DRAGGED through a dirt road to get a few years of wear on it. lol. The cuts are across the dvd titles on the spines of the skinny dvd set cases. I think to save myself a headache, I'm just going to mark this as received with no problem. indecision

EDIT: just went to play them, and disc one has some kind of substance on it. Looks like spilled coke or chocolate or maple syrup and won't play. I marked as received with a problem and not swap a dvd has "put my account under review to protect the integrity of this club" to decide if I indeed should get my credits back or not :(

Last Edited on: 11/23/10 4:04 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
icepeanut (Jean M.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 5:12 PM ET

Yuck....why would anyone think that is okay to post??  frown  I hope you get your credits back Bronwen.

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 5:48 PM ET

huh. Thats weird that they would put your account under review, have you had only a few transactions on the site?

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 11/23/2010 5:52 PM ET

I guess checking to see if they played might have been a first step instead of starting a thread first.  Then you would have known absolutely they were RWAP. 

Hope it works out for you.

berlioz3 (Beth L.)

Date Posted: 11/26/2010 12:11 AM ET

I realize this is a couple of days old, but the Help Center specifically states that if the DVDs play, to *not* mark RWaP. (I realize in this case they did not!)...

Do we have info from the Team indicating that it's correct to mark RWaP for damaged artwork?  I realize these things do get posted in the forums but the HC doesn't always get updated.

From the HC: (info from: There is a problem w/ a DVD I received):

Damaged by Sender
This means the DVD was not playable when it arrived, and the damage was not attributable to USPS damage en route
Do NOT mark a DVD "Damaged by Sender" if the DVD is playable. Use the comments box when marking the DVD received to describe any damage that does not render the DVD unplayable.

Damaged by USPS
This means the DVD was damaged en route, either through bad luck or due to inadeqate wrapping technique This includes DVDs that appear to have been poorly packaged for mailing by the sender.
Do NOT mark a DVD "Damaged by USPS" if the DVD is playable. Use the comments box when marking the DVD received to describe any damage that does not render the DVD unplayable

Last Edited on: 11/26/10 12:13 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 11/26/2010 9:52 AM ET
I get a message similar to that if I mark something rwap, but I have alwas gotten my credis back immediately. Did you get your credits? Also I have official word about artwork and marking rwap from the team but I have to look in my club comm. To see if it is still there. It was from 2008.
JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 11/26/2010 10:35 AM ET
So just realized the club communications only go back the last 30 days (has it always been this way?) So I'll have to dig through my email... which I can't do until I'm ona computer and not my phone.