Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Recevied - Problem or no problem?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
vladadog (Jan H.)

Subject: Recevied - Problem or no problem?
Date Posted: 12/27/2007 10:56 AM ET

Last week I received two DVDs in a package that actually had treadmarks on it. It looks like the PO truck ran over it and then backed over it a few times for good measure (although my friends at the PO tell me the treadmarks are actually from the sorting machine.)

The package was torn and the cases were crushed. I mean CRUSHED. Bits of case were falling out of the tear and the cover of the one movie was torn down the spine and a bit mutilated. (this one was going to be a present...).

However, both DVDs miraculaously survived with no harm done. I received 2 very playable (although one is not repostable due to the destroyed cover art) DVDs.

Logic told me to mark the "Recevied with a problem" - USPS as the cause. I mean it was a no brainer.

However the wording on that page suggests that if you got a playable DVD then you should not mark it as a problem. Even if the USPS totally mangled everything but the DVD itself. The wording says all you have to get is a playable DVD and as long as you got that then you don't have a problem. (The help center is not so specific).

So, I marked them "Received". I did put a comment in the comment section about the way they were received.

But now I'm sitting here at my desk looking at these two poor DVDs and wondering if I really should have marked them "Received with a problem".

jan

mommyof2girls (April W.)

Date Posted: 12/27/2007 1:02 PM ET

I think I would have marked them received with a problem.  I mean, the site requires us to send cases and artwork so if they don't make it just fine along with a playable DVD, I would think that's a problem.  If we receive a DVD with no case or artwork from the sender, we would mark that received with a problam, right?  I would think this would be the same thing, just damaged by the PO.  Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it...

patticom (Patricia F.)

Date Posted: 12/27/2007 4:04 PM ET

I agree, for what it's worth.  :)  Sounds like a problem to me!!

MINI-NANA (Robin F.)

Subject: damaged cases..........
Date Posted: 12/28/2007 8:19 AM ET

Unfortunately, even though the problem is with the P.O. and not the sender, the only recourse you would have would be if the dvd had been insured. USPS protects themselves that way.

I rerceived my Ocean's 12 dvd the other day and it appears as if it was stepped on. The case was damaged, but the DVD was fine. Maybe the system should implemement a button or "side note" box of some sort that would allow for reposting even if there is minor damage to the box as long as the dvd plays.

I guess that is where the Bazzaar comes into play. It at least can be offered with explaination of case damage.

Keep on dvding! LOL

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2007 9:51 AM ET

"the only recourse you would have would be if the dvd had been insured"

Honestly, having insurance may not helped at all.  The USPS may have to inspect the package to see if the contents were damaged.  As they may view the DVD in a playable state, they may not have to pay.

That's what happened to my friend Clint's Zune.  It came in a box completely smashed and the unit was damaged by UPS or Fed Ex, I don't reall.  Then the carrier inspected the item and "determined" it was not deemed to be damaged, while the player is so damaged it cannot be used. 

vladadog (Jan H.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2007 10:46 AM ET

I think the insurance thing depends a bit on your PO. My experience with both FedEx and UPS is they will try to weasle out of things any way they can.

However, these DVDs didn't have insurance so that's moot. I did buy new (used but uncrushed) cases at a local Video rental place and I might still give the one with the shredded cover as a gift. I can't relist it which is too bad because it's pretty obscure and it has a WL - it's either give it as the gift I originally intended or the bazaar for that one.

I sent a feedback question to the feedback team asking to see the wording for when you go to mark a DVD received with a problem. You can't see that text until you go to mark something and I'd rather read it and think about it when I don't have to actually make an immediate decision. It sure seemed to say something very different than what's at the help center.

I received one other damaged DVD mailing - that was one in one of those folded cardboard cases rather than plastic hard cases. It had gotten rained on and the case was pretty ruined.  I marked that one "received with problem" although the DVD was playable that time too.

It all seems a little arbitrary.

I've received nearly 80 DVDs since the site started and sent out 29 and these three are the only ones with any problems so thankfully it's not a big problem....

jan

MrsJames (Missy P.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2007 2:43 PM ET

I would've marked it rec'd with a problem and detailed that it was damaged by PO.  Don't know if that's "right" but it's what I would have done.

Utwig (Erik F.)

Date Posted: 6/21/2017 9:29 AM ET

I know this is a little late to respond to, by a decade....but I just had too much of a guilty conscious not to retort, especially now that I consider Jan a friend. Ten years ago I was a much younger boy, very impressionable, I would watch action movies at the theater and then act them out after, running around throwing chops and kicks into the air saying I was Steven Seagal, the usual. Sadly I had just got done watching a motorsport event tour when I received Jans request for movies. and to top it all off, it was the....MONSTER JAM WORLD FINALS!!! The freestyle competition allows drivers two minutes on an open floor to show off their skills as they drive the trucks over cars, doing stunts and tricks with their trucks. I was so hyped, I wanted to try a Slap Wheelie myself, so I jumped in my Suzuki Grand Vitara and used Jans package as my obstacle to jump over. The reason this car was discontinued was because it was just riddled with problems, or maybe that is just the excuse I plan to use as the premise for this tragic outcome. I revved up the engine, nodded my head in surety, and drove right over that package, never even leaving the ground, 18-inch alloy wheels just crushing those dvd cases, How Open Water 2, Borat, and Over The Hedge survived is beyond me. Truthfully, The Wind That Shakes the Barley was never even sent either, I couldn't part with a Cillian Murphy movie afterall so I just sent some dust hoping Jan would think that was the top dvd that must have been obliterated during the "post office accident." Looking back it was definitely a novice mistake, and I have come to learn better practices. I'm just hoping Jan forgives me for these wrongdoings, and realizes I gave up watching the 4 Wheel & Off Road Jamboree just for her, and refuse to even go near a mud bogging race as it reminds me of this post of hers everytime. I'm sorry Jan. 

Utwig (Erik F.)

Date Posted: 6/21/2017 9:30 AM ET

Oh wait, after double checking, I wasn't even a member yet when she posted this, silly me, must have been another Monster Truck enthusiast. 

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 6/23/2017 8:49 AM ET

I think you need a hobby ;)

Utwig (Erik F.)

Date Posted: 6/23/2017 4:32 PM ET

I couldn't agree with you more. 

Utwig (Erik F.)

Date Posted: 6/23/2017 4:33 PM ET

How does head moderator sound?

Date Posted: 6/24/2017 2:57 PM ET

hmm maybe a bit ambitious just yet :)

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 6/27/2017 9:41 PM ET

Jan, 

You should mark received with a problem.  The next button to click is damaged by USPS or damaged by sender.  If either one or both were on your wishlist you'd go to #1 in line for the title.  Also the sender wouldn't be out credits.  

I receive many with those tire tracks!  And seems like cases are getting flimsy and less durable. It's too bad about the art though.  You might check a few mems lists in the case & artwork thread. 

msc1208 (Michael C.)

Date Posted: 8/30/2017 9:15 PM ET

ff it isn't repostable I would think it would be "received with a problem". I have had several over the last few years like that. Maybe 10 or more even. But at 777 DVDs received since I joined that isn't a bad percentage, its bound to happen. But if it can't be reposted you shouldn't lose out on your credits even if the disc plays. 

Date Posted: 9/2/2017 10:41 AM ET

Haha, Gloria, I love that you responded but the original post was from 2007 :) See what you do frog?!

Utwig (Erik F.)

Date Posted: 9/7/2017 3:03 AM ET

It pleases me beyond words.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 9/15/2017 2:41 PM ET

Kathryn, I didn't notice the date!   Well, maybe the replies will help others that receive damaged goods.  And also warn them about a certain someone that is creating havoc on the site. 

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 10/11/2017 5:49 PM ET

LOL and 2007 doesn't seem that long ago to me.... ah those were the old days alright