Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Received DVDs Slashed Thru UPC

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
musiclover (Valerie L.)

Subject: Received DVDs Slashed Thru UPC
Date Posted: 6/3/2011 10:43 AM ET

Member sent them with a deep slash thru the UPC.  Should they have been posted in that condition?  He said they were new and still wrapped but didn't mention slashed. 

Thank you,

Valerie

patjang (Patricia J.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2011 10:49 AM ET
There is a slash/line through my UPC. Is the DVD still postable?

Your DVD must have a manufacturer's UPC on the case to be postable on SwapaDVD. This UPC must be easily legible. 

• Slashes or marker lines through the UPC are common on DVDs that have been purchased from discount or closeout stores. These marks usually indicate that the DVD can not be resold through another retailer.
  • A slash or mark does not automatically make the DVD unpostable. If the UPC is not affected, the DVD is still postable if:
    • The slash is no more than 1/2 inch long, and
    • The case still closes fine
    • The mark is just a marker line that can be removed or that doesn't affect the readability of the UPC.
  • If your DVD meets the above conditions then you may post it to your Tower. It is courteous to contact the requestor before you mail to be sure he/she is okay with the condition of the artwork and case. If not, it should be the requestor who cancels (not the sender) since the DVD is postable.
  • Even if you are able to get the correct UPC, that doesn't mean that it will be readable several requestors down the line. If the UPC is already somewhat difficult to decipher, do not post your DVD in the offficial system. 

DVDs that are not postable due to an obstructed UPC can be offered in the DVD Bazaar discussion forum.

• It is important to read the red "Rules for Swapping in the Bazaar" thread before creating a post to offer your DVD.
  • Please remember to accurately describe the condition of the DVD, artwork, and case in your DVD Bazaar post.

Last Edited on: 6/3/11 10:50 AM EST - Total times edited: 2
aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2011 10:50 AM ET

Valerie that usually means they have been discounted or remaindered.  I know I often see that when I buy them new at Big Lots.  I think the policy is as long as the UPC is legible they are postable.  If you cannot read the UPC then it can't be posted.  I've had both happen when I've bought them that way.  Now I check to make sure I can read the numbers before I buy.  And some of those I buy that way, the UPC is not in the system.  :O} I offer those in the bazaar.

ETA:  I see Patricia is there before me with the Official word  :O)

ETA2He said they were new and still wrapped but didn't mention slashed.   Did you just order through the system or through a bazaar deal?

Last Edited on: 6/3/11 10:53 AM EST - Total times edited: 2
musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2011 11:37 AM ET

Thank you Patricia!

To Shellie:  It was 2 for 1 in the Bazaar.  I ordered from his tower and pm'd my free ones.  These are slashed thru with a sharp instrument not a magic marker.  He removed the post when the offer ended. 

Thank you,

Valerie

I don't know why but keep putting in double letter i and l when I type.

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2011 11:45 AM ET

I have found that the slash they make it generally more than 1/2 an inch, if they cut all the way through to the top. These are not considered postable because the slash is larger than 1/2 an inch. However, youd really have to go and see how long it is to determine whether its ok. I personally *hate* it when I get dvds like that...

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2011 11:50 AM ET

If the one from his tower is slashed greater than a 1/2 inch, then it is not postable.  Of course, you can't do anything about the freebie.  But you can about the one ordered through the tower.

Kellie

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2011 10:48 PM ET

I will put this to rest now.  Take it like a big girl.

As always Thank you for the info,

Valerie

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2011 11:04 PM ET

Val, the ones I get at Big Lots sometimes have the slash all the way through the case -- esp on snapper cases and sometimes a sticker over the upc.  If these are ones you wanted for keepers, you can always put them on your WL again and then offer these in the bazaar in a deal like you got.  When I was a new member I ordered a dvd from a longer time member and it came with an inch and a half rip in the artwork.   It was on the back so I just assumed it was OK, now I realise they probably never looked at it.  That did teach me to look closely at everything I receive  :O)

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 6/4/2011 10:47 AM ET

Shellie, have you been to Half-Price books on Cooper St ( I think)?  What are the dvd prices like, here in Houston we have $3.00 and higher.  I plan to go there next time I visit my Mom in Grand Prairie.   They don't have slashes thru the upc, and if there is a problem you can bring it back with your receipt.  Good idea about the WL!

Thank you,

Valerie

Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 6/5/2011 9:40 AM ET

One problem is that while book remainder marks are pretty much always put on the page edges, DVD (and CD) remainder marks are done on the UPC.  Since this is also the way promotional copies are tagged, there is a bit of a disconnect in whether these are postable.  On the one hand, promotional copies are not to be posted.  On the other hand, remaindered copies are (presumably) okay.  I suspect that's why people who are used to posting remaindered books don't even think about whether they can post a remaindered DVD.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2011 9:58 AM ET

Hi Valerie,

Yes!! That is a major hangout for me.  And I sometimes visit the one up in Lincoln Square too.  $3 ones are clearance and I have found some WL dvds there!  The best deals I've gotten are tv series when I have one of their 50% off coupons :O) They are usually pretty good about what they take in and any time I've had a problem they haven't asked any questions.  You only get your money back for the first 7 days after that up to 30 days you can get store credit.  If I leave something on my TBW pile too long I can miss out.  Oops!  :O)    Oh and depending on where the person got it who traded it in, I have gotten them with the upc# slashed.  Like Evelyn said, I never thought too much about it, esp if they are new in shrinkwrap.  But now I realise it matters much more to some people than others and that is ok.  I will be more particular in the future if I think I might be posting :O)

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2011 12:44 PM ET

To Evelyn,  This member has been with Swapadvd since 2007.  That's why I was surprised he sent the dvds slashed.  I did not know that it's okay for books so maybe it's natural to think it's okay for dvds.  I don't think he was trying to trick people.  Yet,  I can't help but think someone else would not like it if I sent them slashed dvds.  I would have been nice if he mentioned that in his post in the bazaar.  Then I would have known and still would have ordered the dvds.

Shellie,

First stop in Grand Prairie, Braum's for a peppermint shake and french fries, them to my mom's house.  Braum's is open on Thanksgiving, lucky for me because I don't really like turkey and stuffing.  Got to check out Goodwill too!

Thank you,

Valerie

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2011 12:55 PM ET

Are there no Braums in Houston?  I'd go nuts, I get all my milk and dairy products there!!  There is a Goodwill superstore a couple of blocks from HPB

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 6/5/2011 4:10 PM ET

No Braum's just humidity. 

Kevin R.

Date Posted: 6/6/2011 7:27 PM ET

Gosh, all this talk about Braum's make me really miss them (I lived in Tulsa about 30 years ago--eek, 30!!!).  They had the best, freshest, milk that seemed to stay fresh forever, and they made the best cherry limeades in the world!

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 6/7/2011 11:29 AM ET

I worked at Braum's when I was in High School.  No Cherry lime has every measured up to Braum's.  They also have the best hot fudge.  I wonder if Mr. Braum's is still alive. 

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/7/2011 12:01 PM ET

Ooo Mr Darcy and I may have to stop there for a cherry limeade after we run errands today.  YUM YUM!! 

Kevin R.

Date Posted: 6/7/2011 8:38 PM ET

Gee, Shellie, thanks for making me miss it even more...

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/7/2011 9:25 PM ET

Oh Kevin, it is terrible now.  those are just childhood memories.  Now the dye in the cherry flavoring will give you a headache and the cost has gone up astronomically.

Feeling better yet?  :O) 

Kevin R.

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 8:36 PM ET

Thanks for trying to cheer me up, Shellie.  Not only about the cherry limeade, but mostly about my memories being from my "childhood"! smiley

Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:36 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0