Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Video rental stickers?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Mike W.

Subject: Video rental stickers?
Date Posted: 6/8/2011 8:15 AM ET

Hey, I've been looking around the FAQ's and the board but can't seem to find an answer for this one.  I used to work at a video rental store, and purchased quite a few movies that I no longer want.  Problem is, like most rental places, they put a sticker on their DVD's, around the hole in the center.  It has the store info and a upc for inventory purposes.  I can't remove the stickers, because they're designed to leave "VOID" on the DVD if you do.  I was just wondering, is it acceptable to post a DVD with these stickers on the DVD?

Also, some of the inserts have the store's stickers on them.  If I can't remove the stickers from the artwork, is that ok? I noticed you can't post DVD's with spill damage, tears, etc. but haven't seen anything about the stickers.  Thanks in advance!

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 8:44 AM ET

a sticker on the small ring around the center of the dvd is acceptable

As for stickers on the artwork, thats a more touchy subject. If its small, then its probably ok, but if it covers a lot of the artwork, people receiving it might not be too friendly about it. Worst case scenario you can put a list in the bazaar. If they are wishlisted they will likely go for full credit, if not wishlisted, some sort of deal should move them

momof3jkids (Kellie S.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 9:34 AM ET

Just like Kathryn said.  A sticker on the DVD is fine as it won't affect playability.  On the artwork is kind of iffy.  When in doubt, post it in the bazaar with an explanation of the artwork.  Good luck!

Kellie

papaschild (Laura F.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 11:23 AM ET

FYI - I tried pulling one of those off one time, but it left a sticky residue and ended up sticking to the dvd player.  I had to take the dvd player apart to remove the disk!

Last Edited on: 6/8/11 11:24 AM EST - Total times edited: 1

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 11:33 AM ET

laura, i often take te stickers off the discs and yes, they *always* leave a residue, but googone takes it off really easily and does not in any way harm the disc. I often use it to clean antiques too, the only thing you dont want to put it on is paper based materials.

tradewithme15022 (Andrea A.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 2:56 PM ET

May I ask where it says in the rules about DVDs and stickers? I have received ex-rentals and sent out ex-rentals and all with stickers on artwork I find nothing that says they are not postable. The only problem I see to make it unpostable would be tears greater than 1/2 inch and dirt or strong odors, not stickers. Just wondering... in case I need to remove a bunch of DVDs.

Last Edited on: 6/8/11 2:59 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 3:13 PM ET

Andrea, I've sent them out with stickers on the case.  I'll peel off the easy to get off ones, but some are stuck pretty tight.  But I think the argument with them on the artwork is that they can damage the artwork if you try to remove them.  I believe the requirement is for undamaged artwork and some people would consider the sticker itself damage.  There are plenty of people who don't care so the bazaar is always a viable option.  I recently offered a dvd in the bazaar because there was a sticker over the upc and it was stuck so tight that I would have damaged the artwork to get it off enough to read the upc.

Kingtim17 (Tim G.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 5:13 PM ET

Usually the sticker is on the plastic on the outside of the case and not actually on the paper artwork isn't it?

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 5:24 PM ET

Most of the time, but occasionally I've found them on the artwork.  Older ones from when video stores first stated selling so many previously viewed :O)

Date Posted: 6/8/2011 5:27 PM ET

a lot of the rentals have a classification sticker on the top of the spine for genre, as the movies were first sorted by genre and then alphabetically when physical copies were kept at the store.

Mike W.

Date Posted: 6/19/2011 11:27 PM ET

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the responses.  I'll do what I can about the stickers on the artwork, but this helps a lot.  Thanks again!

Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:43 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0