Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Tip For Fixing A Scratched/Skipping DVD

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
abookishlass (Kristen G.)

Subject: Tip For Fixing A Scratched/Skipping DVD
Date Posted: 8/4/2011 1:29 AM ET

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I just learned that if you have a DVD that is badly scratched or tends to skip a lot just take some toothpaste (not gel but paste) and rub it on the DVD with your finger for about 30 seconds and then rinse it with warm water and pat dry.  I tried this with a couple of my DVDs and it worked on both! 

Just wanted to share this tip with all of you! :-P

Orlswapper (Phil R.)

Date Posted: 8/4/2011 7:47 AM ET

You can also use it to get water spots out of finished furniture!  But it will leave a very polished area when you do it.  Better than a white, water spot though.cheeky

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 8/4/2011 10:21 AM ET

I am going to try that!

thank you for the tip!

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 8/4/2011 10:33 AM ET

just be careful with what type of toothpaste you use, if you buy the plain unscented/unflavored toothpaste, it generally works perfectly. However, any of the special toothpastes like mint favored, whitening, tartar control, etc, are usually too rough on dvds and wind up just smearing all over the place lol.

Mark D.

Subject: 1001 Uses for Toothpaste; here's another one ! ! !
Date Posted: 8/5/2011 10:34 AM ET

if you have a dirty film over the headlight lens of your car,  use tootpaste with baking soda. Put a glob of toothpaste on a little green scrubby sponge, smear it on the headlight lens, scrub for about 5 minutes, wipe it off and polish the lens with some Windex glass cleaner.

Tadaa! The headlight lens is clean (and if it isn't...repeat the process)

And whatever you do, don't buy that junk they advertise on tv...it doesn't work! ! ! !

racingtweety (Jennifer W.)

Date Posted: 8/6/2011 11:52 AM ET

Huh, never thought to try that, thanks for posting!

Venomn (Christopher K.)

Date Posted: 8/7/2011 7:14 AM ET

actually believe it or not,shaving cream i found works best...not with aloe or any other ingrediants.just regular barbasol that you can buy at a dollar store

instructions are easy

simply apply shaving cream to the disc..use an unscented tisue(no aloe of vicks vapor rub) to swirl around the dvd in a circular clockwise motion.let it dry for about 2 or 3 minutes...wipe clean in same motion

it is that simple.always works for me

p.s. forgot where i read it...but they said toothpaste is to ebrasive to clean the discs,just fyi. but it is your choice.

Last Edited on: 8/7/11 7:15 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 8/8/2011 12:55 PM ET

...except for the fact that you are never supposed to wipe DVDs in a circular motion.  If you scratch it in a circle, you are wiping out a huge chunk of the 'track' that the player reads.  DVD players can make adjustments for minor loss in information, but these scratches are too much and are what make the movie pause or freeze.

Scratches that go from the center out only mess up a tiny little bit of the track at a time, so DVD players can handle skipping over that part without messing up the movie.  Therefore, when wiping a disc, always wipe from the center outward.

Orlswapper (Phil R.)

Date Posted: 8/9/2011 10:44 AM ET
++1 Kerry!!
Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:46 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0