Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Getting stickers & glue off DVD cases

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
teenagewerewolf (David N.)

Subject: Getting stickers & glue off DVD cases
Date Posted: 9/19/2011 9:35 AM ET

I order about 15 DVDs each week from Amazon and many are EX Rentals!! Does anyone have a good way of getting off the stickers and glue (Very Unsightly) without damage to the case?

Tks for reading - David

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 9/19/2011 10:05 AM ET

try googone, it works great. If its being really hard to get off, you can let a small dot of the googone on the case for about half an hour and come back and wipe it off. I've found this works fine (but if you leave it on too long the case's plastic gets warped a little bit)

BlackPanther (Carol K.)

Date Posted: 9/19/2011 12:22 PM ET

I use De-Solv-It. It's just like GooGone, but without the real strong odor. It's a Citrus Solution/Organic & Biodegradable and "Mom Approved" ....   Link Here

I think it even works better than GooGone. WalMart stopped carrying it. But you can still find it in some hardware stores.The last big bottle I bought I just ordered from Amazon.  

Last Edited on: 9/19/11 12:28 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
teenagewerewolf (David N.)

Subject: Thanks to all replies!!
Date Posted: 9/19/2011 12:35 PM ET

Thanks for the input!! I'll will try your suggestions!!!!!!

drillo (Larry D.)

Subject: stickers
Date Posted: 9/20/2011 12:07 PM ET

Use a hair dryer on low heat and put it right up to the sticker and pull sticker off. The heat melts the backing and stickers come right off.

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 11/2/2011 1:19 PM ET

a cigarette lighter is a little less cumbersome than the hairdryer.... but more flamable.   :)

lizzie (Liz F.)

Date Posted: 11/4/2011 8:38 AM ET

I second the praise for Goo Gone.  It smells like orange, no harsh odor and easy to clean with water.  It is powerful and just a little works.  I find it at the Home Depot, Christmas Tree Shops, -(really any hardware-like store).  I think Walgreens/CVS might carry it too.  $2-3.

http://www.googone.com/

Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 11/4/2011 10:00 AM ET

I would disagree on the "no harsh odor"--I dislike the smell of Goo-Gone.  If you use it, make sure you let the item air for a while before shipping it to someone.  (I suspect it dissipates faster from plastic than from book covers and such, where I would say don't ship it at all if the requestor has specified odor-free.)

Quickzoom (Shawn T.)

Date Posted: 11/7/2011 4:51 PM ET

I'll give another vote for the GooGone.  I usually pick it up at the Dollar Tree for $1.  I always try to air it out before mailing though.

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 11/7/2011 10:55 PM ET

I'm with Evelyn.  I can't stand the smell of GooGone.  I like other orange cleansers but that one . . . ugh!

N8 (Nathan J.)

Date Posted: 11/8/2011 2:39 AM ET

I love the smell of Goo Gone!  Like a walk through an orange grove!  And it's not like the aroma sticks around.  After the stuff evaporates, the smell is gone too.  Miraculously potent stuff.  It's highly economical too.  I bought an 8oz bottle about seven years ago, and It's still 2/3rds full!  And that's with using it fairly regularly!

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 11/8/2011 8:46 AM ET

Big Lots has it on sale this week  :O)

TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 11/8/2011 9:55 AM ET

Sort of "on topic" - if someone has written on a case with a Sharpie marker  - try using an eraser.  Not the pink kind,  they are too abrasive.  Use a Magic Rub (or vinyl) eraser - these are always white.

I've taken marker off both plastic and slip cases.

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 11/8/2011 10:03 AM ET

goo gone will often also get permanant marker off discs, although I have not tried it with cases

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 11/8/2011 10:09 AM ET

Tracy,  I just tried your hint for using a white eraser to remove marker yes It worked great!  Thanks!  smiley

It was fast and easy.  I will never go back to paper towel and dish soap. 

Now how to we get marker off a snap case?  Argh!!!!!!!!!

Also I was lucky to have any white erasers left,  my Daughter uses them like crazy.  I guess I will have put to an eraser aside with my dvd mailing supplies. 

BrittMovieLover89 (Brittany B.)

Date Posted: 11/8/2011 12:13 PM ET

To get sharpie writing off of most things (like a DVD case or disc), all you need is some rubbing alcohol! :)

Last Edited on: 11/8/11 12:14 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 11/8/2011 12:47 PM ET

I tried rubbing alcohol for the plastic DVD case (the clear sleeve portion) - it didn't work.  The vinyl eraser worked fine.  Not sure about a slipcase though - I didn't want to use liquid on the paper.

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 11/10/2011 7:53 AM ET

Nail polish remover with acetone will also get sharpie off stuff.  (We had to use it at work when the ditz of a boss used a sharpie on the dry erase board!)  You just want to do it quick and then clean the surface well with Windex or 409 or some other cleaner.  The acetone will start to eat through the surface if left on too long.

toribo (Teri K.)

Subject: Stop USE conditioner Instead
Date Posted: 11/14/2011 8:10 PM ET

I purchase many items from thrift stores that use stickers and store discounted items that have sale price stickers on them.

I use cheap hair conditioner. dap some on rub it in and use a soft cloth to wipe off. Sometimes you have to use a little elbow grease with it but I have never had a sticker conditioner could not remove!

And to remove sharpie spray a little perfum on it and wipe with kleenex..works like a charm!

Good luck!

Last Edited on: 11/14/11 8:15 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
BrittMovieLover89 (Brittany B.)

Date Posted: 11/14/2011 11:58 PM ET

It sounds like everyone has their own way to remove stuff! :) Alcohol pads always works wonderful for me.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 11/26/2011 3:47 PM ET

I have a pile of "supplies" kept on hand including alcohol pads, alcohol spray bottle, nail polish remover, q-tips, goo gone (smears the glue); wet wipes--but I am going to try the white eraser and de-solv-it because I'm allergic to the toxic smells of some of these things and must always wear gloves to handle!

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 12/3/2011 12:44 PM ET

I have to thank toribo (Teri K.) for Stop USE conditioner Instead

I cannot use harsh chemicals anymore without headache, skin irritation and possible coughing/sneezing.  I used Pantene Frizzy Smooth Conditoner (Houston humidity really plumps your hair with moisture).  I applied with my finger to the sticker residue on the case. Then I used a DRY paper towel to wipe off.  I had to do a 2nd application and it  removed all residue.  Be sure and use a Dry paper towel and keep folding it to the clean parts of the paper towel.  Yes, elbow grease and reapply till all sticker residue is removed.  I also did this on the inner ring of a disc where a rental sticker had been.  Have not played the disc yet.  Will report on that later.  If you cannot use Goo Gone or De Solv It try the conditioner method! 

Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 12/12/2011 8:44 AM ET

heh heh, I kinda like Teri's ideas as well, I was like "hair conditioner and perfume?"  Girl power right?   LOL

Can't wait to try the white eraser.  I didn't even know there were different kinds of erasers  LOL

Last Edited on: 12/12/11 8:44 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 3/9/2012 10:39 AM ET
Okay here is a quick way to use conditioner to remove sticker residue from DVD cases........1. Rub a dab of conditioner on sticky spots........2. Scrap with iTunes or Starbucks gift card....... 3. Wipe off with paper towel...... The scraping action cuts through the adhesive........ I remove the disc and artwork then insert cereal cardboard under the clear plastic to strengthen the case before working on it.
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2012 7:21 PM ET

Here's my quick fix it tip for a case that is hopelessly stickered up: flick of a wrist into the trash!  lol.  There's some I don't waste my time on: the ones that had those plastic strips on the opening edge.  They're from rentals.  They insert a kind of handled thingy with two prongs to remove the strip.  I don't keep any of those cases.  Any cases with cuts in the bar code area, or cuts anywhere.  Toss 'em, no one wants cut cases. Wrinkled cases.  Toss those too! 

Thanks Valerie for the specific instructions on using conditioner.  I have bottles and bottles of the stuff from hotels (not that I hang out in hotels, mind you).  :)  Tried it a couple times but knew I wasn't doing something right even though it eventually removed parts of stickers.  

Page: