Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Buddy List Invitations

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
PatrickD (Patrick D.)

Subject: Buddy List Invitations
Date Posted: 12/15/2011 1:18 PM ET

Hello all,

I've been sending out some buddy list invitations, trying to be friendly and reach out to other members, simply in an effort to be more social and interact more with others, because there are some really nice people on here.  Also, I thought it might be a nice way to help become Member of the Month some day. 

Anyway, I had two people PM me today about why I sent a buddy list invitation and it got me thinking about it.  Do you think that I should not send invitations to people I don't know?  I'm not sure what the protocol is? Is it like Facebook or LinkedIn, where you're really only suppossed to contact people you know, or is it more of an open inviation type-thing?  I don't believe that I personally know even one person on this site, in which case I guess that, techinically, I shouldn't send any buddy list invitations, which doesn't seem right.

I just thought I'd see what people have to say.

You might have already gotten a buddy list invitation from me too, haha!

Thanks

Last Edited on: 12/15/11 2:55 PM EST - Total times edited: 3
KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 1:25 PM ET

I generally send invitations to people I have gotten dvds from, or sent dvds to, usually people where the transaction went really well, so that if I am looking for something in good condition again, or something in a hurry, I might order from them again.

And anyone I trade with frequently, there are some people on here that I might mail to once every month or two. Or maybe someone I sell credits to on a monthly basis or something.

calusari (Cindy S.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 2:38 PM ET

I'm fairly new to this site, but I don't see anything wrong with sending buddy list invites to people that you don't know. I'm a movie junkie, and I'm always open to meeting others who are the same. I happily accepted your request:-)

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 2:42 PM ET

When I first joined PBS I just sent them to anyone who seemed to have books I liked on their shelf.  and anyone I did a transaction with and anyone I chatted with in one of the forums.  But then my Friends list was overflowing with people I didn't recognize.  :O)  So I went through and culled a bunch of them out.

Over here, I'm a GM so I have lots of Buddies that were in games but I also have people I chat with in the forums and like Kathryn, I will send a request when I have a great transaction. 

Don't know if you have perused the security settings yet, but you can have different levels of buddies and control what each can see.  :O)

Beebs (Becki B.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 2:51 PM ET

I'm not active at all here in the SWAPaDVD forums (on PBS, yes - here, no).   I actually came here to see if there were any threads on buddies because I just accepted your invitation to be buddies, Patrick, but for some reason you don't show up on my buddy list and I wondered why.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sending a buddy invitation to someone you don't know, but it might be good to send a note of explanation.    I have a good number of buddies on PBS, but that list has grown over the years because of things like playing games, finding someone with common interests, or maybe I really liked the books they sent me, or maybe I think they have an interesting wish list.   I typically explain to someone why I've sent them an invitation because I never know if the person is someone familiar with the system and likely to understand the request, or if they are someone who would wonder who on earth I am.

I have only a few DVD's right now on my DVD tower and before now don't think I've posted here, so I kinda wondered why you wanted to be my buddy.  OTOH, I didn't have a problem accepting the invitation either.

I'm just wondering why you don't show up on my Buddy list.

Last Edited on: 12/17/11 3:47 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
PatrickD (Patrick D.)

Subject: Thanks!
Date Posted: 12/15/2011 2:59 PM ET

Thanks, all for your informative replies.

Becki, thanks for adding me.   I see you on my buddy list and when I look on your buddy list I see me on there, but no one else.  Strange, but maybe it has something to do with your security settings???

bookreadera (Meghan A.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 2:59 PM ET

Patrick I accepted your request : )  So obviously I don't have a problem with the idea. 

At one point, I had all of the Tour Guides on my Buddy list.  Since we have no Live Help feature here, having the TGs on my Buddy List let me know who else was online in case I needed help with a Tour Guide issue that couldn't wait.  Other than that, I don't really use my Buddy list for anything....

PatrickD (Patrick D.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 3:12 PM ET

Thanks!  I replied to your PM reply to me, BTW, haha. 

Go Steelers!

Orlswapper (Phil R.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 7:55 PM ET
Patrick, buddy lists are handy when you'd like to send a mass email to a group of friends.
PatrickD (Patrick D.)

Date Posted: 12/15/2011 8:40 PM ET

Last Edited on: 12/15/11 9:18 PM EST - Total times edited: 3
Anita09 (Anita J.)

Subject: Buddy List...
Date Posted: 12/16/2011 1:25 AM ET

Guess I haven't been active enough on this group to really understand the concept. I must confess that though I am on Facebook, I only post if I get a reminder that someone is trying to reach me. My life is kinda full in the real world right now.

Anita

ohsonaughty (Tara C.)

Date Posted: 12/17/2011 1:22 PM ET

I accepted your buddy invite too!  laugh

PatrickD (Patrick D.)

Date Posted: 12/17/2011 8:49 PM ET

Thanks, all!

Windyastro (Laura B.)

Date Posted: 12/17/2011 10:32 PM ET

I like to get buddie invites...........but I also like to know why somebody asked me. 

If I get one that says "i notice we like the same stuff" or "just want to enlarge my network of friends and you are one of them"

then I accept.

Otherwise, having just been somewhat stalked on another forum, if I have NO IDEA why somebody is buddying me, I don't accept.  :)

Now that I know, I will of course accept buddy invite from you Patrick!

racingtweety (Jennifer W.)

Date Posted: 12/18/2011 9:27 PM ET

Well I didn't have a problem accepting your request. Usually I will add a buddy for when a transaction went really well or I see that we like the same types of movies. I have gotten to know a few people on PBS better after becoming buddies. I've had cases where a buddy will send a deal out to people on their  list to try to clear their shelf a little better.

Momof2boys (Sheryl B.)

Date Posted: 12/18/2011 11:55 PM ET

I was happy to accept as well.

As others have said, I've used the Buddy List to keep track of members who I've had good swaps with, as well as members whose taste in movies is similar to mine. I've also added people (on PBS) who had similar viewpoints to mine (judging from the forums), and even people who were also in themedical or science field like I am.

If I get a request, I'm happy to accept. I often hope it means I'll get a chance to swap with my new buddy smiley

pykart (Paula W.)

Subject: Buddy list invitations
Date Posted: 1/13/2012 8:29 AM ET

I accept your invite. Actually I'm kind of new and I also wondered about the questions you have been asking, so I was glad to read other's responses. I wasn't sure what to do when I got an invite, so I just waited and nothing happened.

You can never have too many friends - nice to meet you!

Paula