Discussion Forums - DVD Bazaar

Topic: Please post DVDs into the system

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
tneagle (Kenny H.)

Subject: Please post DVDs into the system
Date Posted: 12/22/2011 4:00 PM ET

I'm requesting members post DVDS into their towers. I believe all members should have at least 10 DVDs in their towers. This will increase inventory and should help turn around member wishlists. We need to be givers into the system and not just takers. I like buying credits and getting DVDs this way too. However, we should post DVDS into the system to keep it healthy.

Merry Christmas,

tneagle

rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 4:44 PM ET

Items being on a tower do absolutely nothing to turn around member wishlists since if it hits the tower, there are usually many copies and no one is wishlisting it.  Many of us don't have towers because we primarily post wl movies which are taken rather quickly and never even show up in the tower.

fzacharvey (Forrest H.)

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 6:30 PM ET

I just posted a whole bunch to my tower yesterday, so please order as many as you'd like!!

thetachi363 (Mack M.)

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 8:38 PM ET

order from me, i have over 250 movies on my tower!

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 9:30 PM ET

I, likewise, post constantly to my tower. :)  If a movie only has one or two wishers I like to post it to them rather than place on WL multiples.

furmage (William F.)

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 9:45 PM ET

I've been wishing for The Master Gunfighter with Tom Laughlin since 6/27/2010 :(

Been  2nd in line forever

ritarene (Rita M.)

Date Posted: 12/22/2011 9:58 PM ET

I've got lots of great movies on my tower.

I even have a few that are wishlisted under other upcs (My Sister's Keeper & The Fall to name a couple)...

ETA: William, don't feel bad. I have a few on my WL that have been sitting there since I joined Nov. 2007. BUT, I have others that get posted rather quickly. It's all luck of the draw in what others find in their thrift store, pawn shop, yard sale, and closeout hunts. Believe me, there are lots of members actively searching for dvds just to post.

Last Edited on: 12/22/11 10:01 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
abookishlass (Kristen G.)

Date Posted: 12/23/2011 12:05 AM ET

I've posted tons of DVDs in the past but they are either so common that nobody wants them or so obscure nobody has ever heard of them and again, nobody wants them.  Therefore, I pretty have given up posting DVDs and VHS movies on this site and primarily Wishlist movies.  It's frustrating but I can see your point Kenny.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 12/23/2011 11:42 AM ET

I post and order "commons" all the time.  If you read in the bazaar posts regularly someone is always looking for "commons" in deals.  You can also offer yours in deals.  If I have a number that don't seem to move I've found a place to trade them 2/1 and I always come out with WLd movies.  Not sure what you mean by obscure but if you have a number of arts & International, foreign, or independent films I would post in the bazaar and advertise that.  I've found the bazaar is the best to move unusual movies.  Since I haven't found a way to search for arts & international, for example, it would be nice to know someone had a lot of those on their tower.  I'd certainly look. 

My #1 most wanted WLd movie has been on my WL since the day I joined, which is now about 3 years. 

tneagle (Kenny H.)

Subject: adding
Date Posted: 12/23/2011 11:55 PM ET

RXRCDS,

I think that is cool that you list WL DVDS. I really believe we need to list more WL DVDS and also to our tower. Swapadvd is a neat site and I would like to see it maintain it's vitality. Like some of you I have had some DVDs on my WL for a long time.  Thanks for all of your constructive comments. Merry Christmas!

LuciusMaximus (Henry J.)

Date Posted: 12/24/2011 1:08 AM ET

I have 32 titles on my tower, and I just ordered 4 common titles in the last 2 days.  Absolutely, it's frustrating to wait and wait for your wish to be filled.  I just got one that took about 16 months (request date:  August of 2010).  I've cancelled some that I just couldn't wait anymore and just went ahead and purchased it online.  I've bought credits only once here in the bazaar.  I contribute and get credits, like many here, mainly by posting WL titles either in the bazaar or directly into the system.

I completely understand Kenny's concern.  Until now, I've never thought of the idea that some folks may decide to just purchase credits here at reduced prices and order WL titles, at a very reasonable price for used titles.  As for not getting more WL movies directly into the system, I think there will always be WL titles that either will be very slow to fill or will not be filled at all.  Great titles are usually fairly expensive to purchase and also retain their value in the re-sale market, and that will just decrease the likelihood of their circulation in the system.  Anyway, I don't see there being a signficant problem yet- I see it as just the way things are.

kkimmerling (Keith K.)

Subject: DVDs in my Tower
Date Posted: 12/24/2011 5:12 PM ET

I've got 200 dvds in my tower, feel free to browse.  Thanks, kkimmerling

niara (Belinda S.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 2:03 AM ET

This has been the single most frustrating problem I have with Swapadvd.  We all have the same titles.  There are 8 trillion copies of the same movies in the system.  No one posts WL'ed movies.  I have mailed 103 movies since I became a member and received 53 in return.  I have given away really interesting stuff like An Affair To Remember, the 2nd and 3rd season of Cracker, a wonderful TV series with Robbie Coltrane, Mystic River, Fringe Seasons I and II, Robin Hood with Russell Crowe, Iran Man II on Blu-Ray, The Apartment with Jack Lemmon, Despicable Me, It's Complicated and Mission Impossible III: regular widescreen AND blu-ray.  All the movies I want that are on my Wish List rarely come up.  I have given up and just purchased some of the movies on my Wish List.  We all scrounge around, finding dvd's in garage sales, freecycle, pawn shops or shop the reduced bins at Blockbuster, post them and accumulate credits (I currently have 35) only to not be able to use those credits.  Who is really going to post a used copy of Avatar here, which has like 300+ people waiting for it.  Every now and again a movie will come off my wish list (The Women, the original one, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Maurice, etc.) but that happens only occasionally.  You can't make people give away their movies.

sinnr (Jon A.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 3:11 AM ET

Keep in mind that you'll never see wish listed movies on someone's tower.  If they're on a wish list, they will immediately get offered and you don't see items on someone's tower which are either on hold or are pending on a transaction.  I just released two more WL movies on my tower, so some of us do post them. I've traded out movies via my tower with > 100 wishers on multiple occasions. I also got a movie off my WL, so it does happen.

Admittedly, I hold off posting some simply because it doesn't benefit me to have too many credits laying around.  For those who are looking for more highly requested movies, I highly recommend that you get involved in the games on here, since I've been able to cross quite a few movies off my WL using the games.  Since it's also (generally) a small group that plays most of the games, some new players will really provide some benefit.  That, or read through and/or search the bazaar for movies. 

I've found that the games and bazaar are really the places to go for movies when you are way down on the WL.  I've probably picked up 25 movies off my WL via the games, and have also grabbed another 25 that I didn't even think to put on my WL until I saw them in the games.  Most of these don't show up in my transaction history either, so in reality I've probably gotten over 250 movies off the site, and sent close to 200.  However, many of the ones I've sent are mult-disc, which is why I still have tons of credits (I've never puchased a credit).   

I found the site to be a little lacking as well until I got more involved.  I've now pretty much dropped every other trading site I was using since I'm getting more movies and shows from here than I can find time to watch. 

dragonflyab (Angela B.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 11:19 AM ET

I posted a copy of Avatar into they system a couple months back.

hoosiergal (Debra N.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 11:35 AM ET

I also post wl movies into the system regularly..but also can relate to waiting forever for some on your wl that never seem to appear anywhere..I have alot of requests in that status as well...Think most regular swappers do too.. however, as mentioned above, I encourage people to play the games if that interests them..great people play there with great movies and lots of fun..you will see many wl movies in the games.

Michael B.

Subject: Everything I got is from the bazaar
Date Posted: 12/28/2011 12:22 PM ET

I understand the frustation here. I don't believe I've received anything off my wish list that I didn't get off the bazaar. As recently as yesterday, "Run Lola Run" blu-ray on my wish list  and was traded here. I believed disks were suppose to go on the tower first. I guess not. I've been sitting at "Number one" position on several disks for awhile.

As for not listing good stuff, I just listed  "Pirates of the Caribean Trilogy" blu-ray box set. 

It would be nice if we could "create postings" without a problem. For instance, many box sets and special editions are lacking the UPC code due to the paper slip missing. These can't be listed which is kind of foolish. I realize we need "across the board standards" but a lot of nice stuff that I would post can't be done due to lack of upc. A good example is "Pirates of the Caribean - On Stranger Tides" blu-ray (just a coincidence) without the dvd. Thousands were pre-ordered thru Family Video, who sold them brand new BUT without the dvd. Blu-ray ONLY. Brand new. Several people would like it, but I can't list it here. It's a shame.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 12:37 PM ET

Michael B. said: 

It would be nice if we could "create postings" without a problem. For instance, many box sets and special editions are lacking the UPC code due to the paper slip missing. These can't be listed which is kind of foolish. I realize we need "across the board standards" but a lot of nice stuff that I would post can't be done due to lack of upc. A good example is "Pirates of the Caribean - On Stranger Tides" blu-ray (just a coincidence) without the dvd. Thousands were pre-ordered thru Family Video, who sold them brand new BUT without the dvd. Blu-ray ONLY. Brand new. Several people would like it, but I can't list it here. It's a shame.

You can put unpostables in the bazaar.  No upc, upc not in system, wrong disc count,  artwork damaged etc. 

Popular titles getting taken quickly.  The only thing I have noticed linger is the 12 disc set of Lord of the Rings upc not in system.  I think it's because nobody wants to buddy 12 credits.  If someone was to put in Rango no upc in the bazaar it would go very fast. 

spacer.gif

Last Edited on: 12/28/11 12:38 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
LuciusMaximus (Henry J.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 2:54 PM ET

I think the comments by Jon A is exactly right:  here at SwapaDVD, you get what you put into it.

The problems of few WL titles posted, long wait time, and movies going thru the bazaar and not directly thru the wishlist system are just the ways thing are.  Michael B commented that he posted the Pirates of the Carabean Blu-ray boxset thru the system, and that's exactly what most people would do.  Multiple disc sets, especially blu-rays, are economical to send (at $0.8 per disc for a 3 DVD disc set), whereas for a single disc it will cost you ~ $2/disc. I always post multi-disc sets directly into the system. 

On the other hand, folks with desirable single-disc WL titles are likely to think twice and be reluctant to send them.  Now, with the bazaar allowing posts to allow the sending of multiple discs together, this has been excellent.  I believe it has really encouraged more titles moving thru SwapaDVD, although not through the normal wishlist system.  I also believe that this has not happened at a significant expense of titles that would have moved normally through the wishlist system.  It would have been extremely costly to send all the titles you see at the multiple trades thread individually, and as a consequence the thread appears to be very popular.

So, if you want more WL titles, try searching thru the bazaar or becoming involves with the games.

Last Edited on: 12/28/11 3:31 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Hondaman (Brian B.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 6:19 PM ET

I have more posted than all these people combined, I have sent out  3,045 DVD's and have only received 1,798 DVD's and have over 1,500 on my wish list, which I have been waiting since 2008 on some of these. I do get a lot of my DVD's in the bazaar or buy them at thrift stores. Come take a look at my tower, I have a large assortment of all types of movies, you will not be disappointed.

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 12/28/2011 7:17 PM ET

ive sent out more than 2,000 dvds, a lot have not gone through the system (ie credits were buddied to me). I've probably gotten about equally as many, also with a lot through buddied credits. You get what you put into it, as others say. If you are intent on only trading highly wishlisted dvds, sure you will have to wait a while...

Also, to whoever mentioned avatar, I have posted 5 copies of avatar, 3 dvds and 2 blurays. Hope is not lost ;-)

William E.

Subject: OK
Date Posted: 12/28/2011 8:24 PM ET

I have 68 posted...just updated...make it 73. wink

Last Edited on: 12/28/11 8:34 PM EST - Total times edited: 1