Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Used Library DVDs

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Kathleen P.

Subject: Used Library DVDs
Date Posted: 1/25/2012 11:27 AM ET

Are you allowed to post used library dvds which have library stickers and markings on them ?

bookreadera (Meghan A.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2012 1:38 PM ET

Are the stickers and markings on the artwork?  If so, then probably not.  From the HC: (italics mine)

The DVD must be original (not a copy) and must be in its original case (or a case identical to the original) with all the original artwork.  The DVD must be 100% playable (minor scratches that do not affect the playability are acceptable).  Please make sure your DVDs and their cases are clean and free of any dirt, lint, liquid spills, pungent smells etc. The cover artwork needs to be in good condition without any rips or tears greater than 1/2".

It's sort of a judgement call, by common usage standards here for artwork are pretty high compared to just about everywhere ; )   Water damage, writing on the artwork, tears larger than 1/2 inch...they'll all get you a RWAP.

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2012 1:47 PM ET

Ive noticed a lot of libraries will chop off part of the artwork on the bottom and add paper with their name. If the artwork is in any way altered, then no. Stickers are different, and use your best judgement. small ones are probably ok, big ones that cover a lot of the artwork and you will not be able to remove are probably not.

Anything like this can be posted in the bazaar however, and if you have a wishlisted movie, chances are someone will take it there.

batfrey (Vincent D.)

Subject: Just received a library copy and not sure if I should accept it
Date Posted: 11/5/2013 11:56 AM ET

I just received a library copy of a DVD. There is a large sticker on the DVD itself, but the movie seems like it should play.  Also the cover art does not appear to be original. The artwork itself is complete, but shorter than the retail artwork with a white 3/4 inch strip added along the bottom of the cover art to make up the size difference.  This white strip contains library rental rules, name of library, rating symbol, library specific barcode and other filing information. The artwork otherwise seems to be a good quality reproduction, though it is glued and taped into the case and so I cannot remove it to inspect for paper quality which would give me more assurance on the authenticity.  The UPC barcode is not covered and seems to be readable. There are stickers on the artwork itself, not on the case.  The plastic on the case is torn, but taped together.  Most of this does not bother me since i will be able to watch the movie.  My concern is how I might be able to re-trade the DVD once It is watched since the condition seems to violate the rules.  I don't want to deal with trading on the Bazzar.  Especially since the movie has low demand and is much less likely to trade for full credits there.  Is it possible that this DVD and artwork is authentic?  (i.e. Do libraries receive new DVD's with different cover art than retail stores?)  I don't believe so, but didn't want to get into a tussle with the person trading it to me if without being sure.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 11/9/2013 11:20 AM ET
I don't think stickers make one unpostable, unless it covers the upc. I received a library copy the other day and spent nearly all day carefully removing stickers from the art. Library copies are the worst, some worse than others. Writing on a case or disc is easily wiped off with alcohol. batfrey: If the bottom portion is cut off from the art, it is unpostable since that falls in the "cut and tear" category. You could advertise it as "disc only" and/or offer it that way as a freebie with an order, unfortunately, that would still have to go in the bazaar--or you could create a signature box and place it there. If you buy blu-rays, set it aside to take to Best Buy when they take their DVD trade ins for a coupon for $5 blus.
batfrey (Vincent D.)

Date Posted: 11/12/2013 5:37 PM ET

The stickers shoould not be on the art only the case.  But, the real problem is that the art work is not original.   Now what do I do?  I can't retrade it and should not be paying credits for an unpostable dvd.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 12/8/2013 11:40 PM ET

You received the dvd with the artwork in this condition from the site?  It should not have been posted through the system, and if you paid credits, I would write to the team since this is an unpostable dvd.  Even if you've already marked it rec'd, I would still write to the team.  You might say that you did not know it was unpostable.  Unfortunately, the only way to trade it is in the bazaar.  When I've had dvds with ruined artwork it seems easier to offer them disc only and then say you have copied art or damaged art in case someone might want it, too.

thebutterfly (Laura T.)

Subject: Library Copy
Date Posted: 1/11/2014 5:58 PM ET

After receiving some sub-standard DVDs, cases, artwork, I am now putting a note on all requests that "if this is a library copy, please cancel my order".  I have a TV/DVD combo that is very sensitive and a library copy got stuck inside (a copy I had checked out at a local library).  I had to replace the entire unit and pay for the library DVD (very expensive).

King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 5/14/2018 10:22 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 7:18 PM EST - Total times edited: 0
Xiaojun X.

Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:43 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0
King K.