Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: lost in the mail?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
karlyle (Karla C.)

Subject: lost in the mail?
Date Posted: 1/22/2008 6:23 PM ET

I mailed a 7-disc set 2 weeks ago that still hasn't arrived. Due to the size of it, I did use Media Mail and it is going across the country, so I am hopeful that it will still get there. But I got to wondering. What happens if it doesn't? I used postage stamps, not printable postage, so I don't have delivery comfirmation. Does that mean if it gets lost in the mail I'm out my credits?

I know on PBS if you don't use DC that's what happens... and I usually just take the risk, but it didn't occur to me (until now) that a 7-disk set is a much bigger risk than a 1-credit book. If I used printable postage from here with DC would that "insure" my credits? I assume that would be cheaper than paying for insurance from the PO? I know there's nothing I can do about the current set, but just for future reference I was wondering.

I looked in the FAQ for answers and couldn't find them. Anybody know?

In the meantime, keeping my fingers crossed that my set arrives soon!

bookreadera (Meghan A.)

Date Posted: 1/22/2008 6:36 PM ET

Karla,

The short answer, since you are familiar with PBSwap, is yep, same things happen.  DC here would have insured your credits.  But remember, 2 weeks isn't long for Media Mail.  It still has time to arrive.  I would send a PM to the requestor, letting them know that it was sent Media so they know it isn't actually 'lost' yet.

Last Edited on: 1/22/08 6:58 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
mjohntx (Mark J.)

Date Posted: 1/22/2008 6:55 PM ET

i mailed a dvd with dc and first class on 18 dec?, it didn't arrive by the time stated here and the buyer recieved her credit back, and i received my credit for mailing it, without giving the Dc number to swapadvd, using PM we both checked with the PO and the dc showed nothing other than it had been printed. lo and behold a month later it showed up safe and sound.

karlyle (Karla C.)

Date Posted: 1/28/2008 5:26 PM ET

Today, 3 weeks exactly after I mailed this 7-disc set, I got an automated-email from SwapaDVD saying that it was considered lost and they were crediting my account. (I wasn't sure if they would since I failed to use DC. Won't make that mistake again!) So I was grateful for that.

But then... the mail came... and in it was the package I had mailed. It had gone all the way to New York (from Idaho) and back again. I had used the printed label, but the PO had scribbled through it, marked it "UNK 1/15/08" and then stamped it "Attempted, Unknown, New York, NY" and sent it back to me. It also says "Postage Due" on it... I assume that's for the return postage? But the PO didn't try to collect that from me.

Now what do I do? I hesitate to re-send it to the same address, because I'd have to pay the postage all over again and I assume if the person was "unknown" the first time, he would still be "unknown". Any suggestions?

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 1/28/2008 7:06 PM ET

PM the member that was supposed to get the DVDs. Maybe they can clear up the problem or give an alternate address to send it to.

bookreadera (Meghan A.)

Date Posted: 1/28/2008 7:16 PM ET

Also, I would send feedback that the DVDs were returned to you.  Personally, I see those credits that you were given as 'good faith' credits, and if it were me, I'd feel badly about keeping them since I had the DVDs and could repost them again.  They may not even want the credits back (I tried to return some before and they wouldn't take them) but I still think it's the right thing to do...JMO