Discussion Forums - Spirituality & Philosophy

Topic: Any good Christian movie recommendations?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Chris D.

Subject: Any good Christian movie recommendations?
Date Posted: 1/24/2008 1:27 PM ET

Do any of you here have Christ focused movies (not documentaries) like "Facing The Giants" or "The Second Chance"?  I am always on the look for more, and I have probably close to 50 in my collection now.

ingodzhndz (Melissa P.)

Date Posted: 3/25/2008 10:13 PM ET

If you're looking for a thriller, Thr3e based on Ted Dekker's book is pretty good. Not as good as the book, but a decent choice. A movie of House is supposedly coming out, but I have no idea when.

Melissa

ingodzhndz (Melissa P.)

Date Posted: 3/25/2008 10:17 PM ET

Here are some more I just thought of:

One Night with the King

The Last Sin Eater

The Ultimate Gift

Beyond the Gates of Splendor/The End of the Spear

Chris D.

Date Posted: 4/2/2008 3:03 PM ET

Thanks for the suggestions, ya'll.

Except for the "House" recommendation, I have everything else you ladies suggested. 

I rewatched my latest Christian movie just today.   I found a new copy (still in shrink wrap) of "The Wager" starring Randy Travis.  The movie doesn't actually release on DVD to the public until May '08.  However, at the church showing of this movie, several DVDs are given to the churches to sell after showing the film to help offset the cost of licensing the performance rights.  Apparently, the church I bought mine from on Ebay couldn't sell all of theirs.

Glad I could help them out!

Chris D.

Date Posted: 4/4/2008 10:17 AM ET

If you liked "Facing the Giants", Sherwood Pictures is releasing a new movie this fall.

www.fireproofthemovie.com

Steven M.

Date Posted: 4/23/2008 7:14 PM ET

try "The Gospel" and "The Second Chance"

But just remeber that a "Christian" movie may not always refect Jesus.

Chris D.

Date Posted: 5/2/2008 12:47 PM ET

Then how would that make it Christian?  If it doesn't point back towards the work of Christ in the world, then it becomes a film about morality. 

Steven M.

Date Posted: 5/6/2008 1:05 PM ET

I've see plenty of these so called Christian movies, like the left behind, and they are done so poorly that the real message of Jesus, that God is right here and now in our lives and that we are to take care of each other , that the message of love, forgiveness, sacrifice for each other is missed.

That is what I mean.  WE are to reflect Christ, and most of these attempts fail.  It's better to see something like The Matrix Trilogy which is a Messiah story if you watch it all the way.  And just like our fallen world, there is violence.  When we ignor the violence or water down what Jesus did and who he is, we then miss the point of His heroic nature.  I see any movie that has the Messiah story in it, including that cult classic from the 1980's Solarbabies, a better way to talk to someone about how God really wants the world.  The Christian church has not acted like Jesus in a long time, it's been following a version of Constitine vision of the world and it's time to start looking back at Jesus the man, and not just looking at his birth and death and hoping for his return.  He wants to live through us, but his "represntives" have done a poor job.  I know I have and God is now wanting me to start doing what I say I'm going to do.

Just becuase a movie is made by Christians doesn't mean that it is always a good representation of the truth of God.

.  Trow the stones now!

Chris D.

Date Posted: 5/27/2008 8:59 AM ET

No stone throwing from me, dude.  Nice box of rocks you chose to toss, though.

I am not going to debate the condition of the church.  That isn't what this thread is about.

I think you are trying to fit Christianity into stories that "could" have a Christian meaning but aren't necessarily so.  If I were not a Christian, the Messiah part of The Matrix would largely have been overlooked.  I think most non-Christians thought it was cool, but I don't think many people were pondering afterward if Neo was Jesus.

I'll admit that several Christian made films are of a lower quality.  But, for the most part, the funding isn't there to improve the quality, and the film companies know that a movie that really has the underlying message that you need to accept Jesus as Savior is not going to be very popular with the mainstream masses.  "The Passion Of The Christ" was an exception due to the financing coming out of Mel GIbson's own pockets and then the movies was mass marketed to churched folks.  Without that grassroots promotional effort, this film would not have gotten off the ground.

amlaboy (Mary L.)

Date Posted: 7/9/2008 4:14 PM ET

From the creators of Facing the Giants and Fireproof (FP not released yet), there is Flywheel.  I just watched it today and it is wonderful!  A tearjerker just like Facing the Giants.

Of course, there is The Climb (2002) - check IMDB.  Or google for Christian Movies.

papaschild (Laura F.)

Subject: and my (recent) favorites are:
Date Posted: 8/1/2008 2:41 PM ET

****Best****  Transformations 1 and 2:  If I could recommend two dvd's to anyone, it would be these.

Children: "Veggie Tales" series

Fiction:  

True stories:

Biblical (some are literal, some are fictionalized):

Documentary:

There doesn't seem to be a clear line on what makes a dvd  "Christian"; so a couple of these might have been excluded on your list.  Please no debates... just trying to be helpful.   8^)

Also, there are so many other great secular well-made films that have godly principles (maybe that could be another topic).

Wathcing next:  Saving Sarah Cain and The Final Inquiry

Oh, and here is info on the release of "House" in November 2008

Now I need to go back to work!

Last Edited on: 8/2/08 9:29 AM EST - Total times edited: 5
Chris D.

Date Posted: 9/4/2008 1:04 PM ET

Finally!  "House" really is going to be released!  Sweet!

Stacelito (Stacey R.)

Date Posted: 9/16/2008 11:00 AM ET

There are several that came out through Billy Graham that we have at home. We really liked them.

Road to Redemption

Last Flight Out

Something to Sing About

I can't recall the others right now. Naturally, we don't have them posted. They're too good to let go. It's hard to find Teen/Adult movies without language/sexual situations and aren't too "babyish".

FABANGEL (Pat M.)

Subject: christain movies
Date Posted: 3/14/2009 6:49 AM ET

I have  1. The Gospel

2.Against all Odds

If interested PM me.

Angel

Kay N.

Subject: other suggestions
Date Posted: 9/13/2012 12:13 AM ET

Faith like Potatoes is great & a true story & Amazing Grace movie!

ExtraMile (Roger R.)

Subject: There are hundreds of GREAT Christian Movies
Date Posted: 2/4/2015 11:02 AM ET

I run Christian Film Database and we have thousands of Christian Films listed. Not all are movies and not all are good. wink

We list the films in over 100 topics, so you can find the films your looking for. Take a look at CFDb and if you need more help finding some good movies that you have not seen, just let me know, I can recommend many.

http://www.christianfilmdatabase.com/

Thanks, Roger

Last Edited on: 2/4/15 11:31 AM EST - Total times edited: 3
charityl (Charity L.)

Date Posted: 2/10/2015 7:48 PM ET

When the Game Stands Tall was pretty good. Not overtly Christian but pretty good. Also saw 23 Blast which is based on a true story, had more Christianity in it, but lower quality filming. One that we recently saw in the theater was A Matter of Faith. Excellent film! It is done by the Christiano Brothers.