Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: DVD case with broken spindle.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Kathj (Kathryn J.)

Subject: DVD case with broken spindle.
Date Posted: 2/2/2008 6:49 PM ET

I received a DVD today. The disc was loose in the case because the center spindle thingy was broken. The disc does have some scratches but seems to play without a problem. It had been mailed in a bubble wrap envelope.

So how do I mark this received?

Is it RWAP, or damaged by sender/USPS or what?

Thanks in advance.

Last Edited on: 2/2/08 6:49 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
KendraM (Kendra M.)

Date Posted: 2/2/2008 7:06 PM ET

Well, some might disagree with me, but as long as it plays, it's rec'd without a problem.

coolweather (Marie B.)

Date Posted: 2/2/2008 7:39 PM ET

Yep I agee with Kendra

berlioz3 (Beth L.)

Date Posted: 2/2/2008 7:41 PM ET

I have twice received DVDs in bubble envelopes where the case was clearly broken in transit...little pieces fell out when the envelopes were opened!    What you are describing sounds most likely  Damaged by USPS to me.   I mean, not too many people are likely to send a DVD with the disc flopping around.  (I can't say it's impossible, but....I hope highly unlikely, lol)

This is just me, personally, but like Kendra...If it plays OK, I would just mark it received.  If you repost it, though, you would have to switch the case out for a different one. 

xsalezroarx (Melinda T.)

Date Posted: 2/2/2008 9:13 PM ET

I would mark it damaged, just so the team knows, but let them know that the disc still plays/arrived okay. 

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 2/2/2008 10:27 PM ET

"I would mark it damaged, just so the team knows, but let them know that the disc still plays/arrived okay. "

I believe that I disagree.  If the DVD plays fine, than it should be marked received without a problem as that is the requrement of the site.  There is a spot in the received DVD survey for a note to have on file. 

Last Edited on: 2/2/08 11:11 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Fireskull (Ed G.)

Date Posted: 2/3/2008 12:41 AM ET

I agree...I have received a few dvd's that came off the center hub, obviously I played it and everything was fine so I marked it received ,(except in 3 or 4 ocasions in which the dvd's froze or kept skipping, then I marked it received, but a problem) ..

point is if it plays fine it's ok, of course some people, including me don't like broken cases or scratched dvd's but the rule is if it plays it's ok to mark it as received.

Last Edited on: 2/3/08 2:51 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
patticom (Patricia F.)

Date Posted: 2/5/2008 8:33 AM ET

I agree with Kendra and Alex--I've purchased brand spanking new DVDs in the store where the spindle breaks or is already broken--those things weren't made to last, that's why so many people are buying new cases for them!  :)  I wouldn't deliberately swap one with a broken case, but it wouldn't surprise me that they break in shipping sometimes just from being thrown around in the mail.

patti

JW (Julie A.)

Date Posted: 2/5/2008 9:10 AM ET

Goodness no, don't mark it received with problem.  A little piece of cheap plastic broke off, that's no problem.  Please don't put a ding on a senders record for something that is totally out of their control.  I've had brand new DVD's come with that piece broken.  It's no one's fault.  It's little and cheap and not made to last. 

meadowbrookmanor (Patrick C.)

Date Posted: 2/5/2008 12:36 PM ET

Julie - I don't think marking it as a problem, damaged by PO puts a ding on the senders account. I'm not sure that's the way to go though, regardless. If the case being damaged would prevent it from being reposted but only a non-playing DVD is a reportable problem, that seems like it might be a small loophole that would need to be addressed. Remember, a case with artwork is mandatory for posting.

We've received a couple broken cases (damaged by USPS), but we have some extra cases that we could substitute if we want to repost the DVDs. Not everyone will though. Would this just be an occasional case of being out of luck, then?

In the meantime, a piece of bubblewrap inside the case will help to keep a disc from coming loose in the mail!

Kathj (Kathryn J.)

Date Posted: 2/5/2008 4:27 PM ET

Well, I played the disc and it's fine. I marked it as received, without any problems.

My husband found some spare empty DVD cases, so I just swapped it out.

Thanks everyone for advice. I guess I knew to mark it okay, but i just wanted a little " moral support ".

This is the first swap I have had, where there has been a problem. Every DVD so far has been great.

Sharon K.

Date Posted: 2/6/2008 5:36 PM ET

Could someone let me know where it is stated that if the case is broken or cracked, you can't post the dvd?   I didn't see that anywhere and would like to read it.   Thanks.

bookreadera (Meghan A.)

Date Posted: 2/7/2008 7:28 AM ET

I rcd the following in feedback re. a question about a transaction with a case with a broken spine:

Cases that have large tears and very visible damage, especially a torn
spine such as the case here, should not be posted. We do not require
the case to look brand new, but rips, tears, dirt, spills, or structural
damage are not allowed.

Hope this helps.

Snowwfoxx (Robin P.)

Subject: replacing cases
Date Posted: 4/24/2008 6:24 PM ET

Is there something I missed?  If you have original disc and artwork, does it matter if you replace the not-so-good original case/broken case with a new one?

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 4/25/2008 11:05 AM ET

"Could someone let me know where it is stated that if the case is broken or cracked, you can't post the dvd?   I didn't see that anywhere and would like to read it."

Just go buy replacement cases.  Any department store should have them available.

movienut (Darwin H.)

Date Posted: 4/25/2008 11:10 AM ET

I've done a bit of shopping for replacement cases for just that reason.  I have checked at Target, K-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Max, Office Depot, and WalMart. The best deal I have found so far is 10-packs of blank black cases at Walmart for $5.50. (so 55 cents per case). If anyone has found a better deal (without having to buy 100 at a time) please let us know.

Just make sure you get the regular, full-size replacement cases that look identical to the originals. You cannot use a slimline replacement case unless that is how the movie was originally sold.

Last Edited on: 4/25/08 11:12 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:38 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0