Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: USPS Blue collection Boxes

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Layla D.

Subject: USPS Blue collection Boxes
Date Posted: 2/25/2013 6:09 PM ET

I dropped four movies off in a blue collection box down the street from me last week... I sent them all first class so I figure they should be getting to the people soon. None of them have been marked received. My question: does the USPS remove the boxes if they are not pick up locations anymore? I mean... they wouldn't just leave one in-active, would they? I have a fear that the four movies are just sitting in the bottom of the box frown I just moved here too, and don't really know the area well!

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 2/25/2013 10:37 PM ET

Hi Layla,

I don't know which day you mailed them, but it is only Monday and if they arrive in the mail today, people still need a chance to inspect them and possibly play or run them through a machine to make sure they play. They need to do this in a timely manner, but allow a couple of extra days for that on your estimates.  I have a PO box and only go to the PO 2-3x/wk depending on my work schedule.I realise this was not your question.  :O)  Just wanted to reassure you that they will likely be fine.

I don't work for the USPS, but I believe they remove boxes that are not in use.

Happy Swapping!

Layla D.

Date Posted: 2/26/2013 11:17 AM ET

Thank you, that  makes me feel a lot better! I'll just hold tight and wait! smiley

ahurley53 (Amelia H.)

Date Posted: 2/26/2013 1:19 PM ET

Also it depends on the collection time for the box.  The one I use is picked up M-F at 11am. Anythink mailed from it Sat and Sun is not picked up until Mon.  

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 2/26/2013 1:27 PM ET

Good Point Amelia!!  :O)

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 2/26/2013 3:33 PM ET
Yeah Amelia, that's why I rarely use the blue boxes.
Layla D.

Date Posted: 3/6/2013 6:19 PM ET

Nobody has received their DVDs yet... I'm going to have to find a way to get them out of the blue box. I know they are still in there indecision

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 3/6/2013 6:52 PM ET

its possible they just havent marked them in yet. Have you tried a polite pm explaining the situation and why you are worried and asking them if theyve gotten them to help alleviate your fears? I'd do that before tampering with a mail box ;-)

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 3/6/2013 7:53 PM ET

I would ask about that box at the PO closest to you and explain the situation or if you are home when your mail is delivered, your letter carrier might be able to help you.  That is so sad, you mailed so long ago and none were received.

edited because really it still isn't that long ago.

I agree with the others about sending a PM.

Last Edited on: 3/6/13 7:55 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 3/12/2013 8:38 PM ET

Those boxes are supposed to have pick up times displayed on them.  Did you check that before you dropped your dvds in the box?  I'd say next time leave them in your mailbox for the carrier.  I would  wait around to see if they turn up someday--I'd call the PO and bug the mail carrier until I knew they had been picked up. 

Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 3/12/2013 10:17 PM ET

To answer the original question: yes, USPS removes boxes when they go inactive.  (When I worked for the PO, there were a bunch lined up on the loading dock behind the PO, and some woman showed up, climbed the stairs and dropped a package into one fo them!  Luckily someone saw here, or it never would have been picked up!)

Tripp (Macon S.)

Date Posted: 3/13/2013 4:29 PM ET

so what happened layla, did they arrive?