Discussion Forums - Science Fiction

Topic: Dr Who

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Arlene G.

Subject: Dr Who
Date Posted: 2/14/2008 10:21 AM ET

Any Dr Who fans out there???I am interested in the Tom Baker years specifically.

aphrodite1979 (Amanda M.)

Date Posted: 4/26/2008 5:10 AM ET

I am but I am a newbie to the series. I just started when it began airing on sci-fi channel

rideagoodhorse (Amanda W.)

Subject: Tom Baker
Date Posted: 1/15/2009 11:10 AM ET
I too am a newbie to the Doctor Who series. One of these days, I'd like to see the past shows with the other Doctors. However, I only know Tom Baker from his role in the 6th and 7th seasons of the British TV series Monarch of the Glen. Compared to his role in that series, I'd love to see how he played the Doctor.
Betsy (Elizabeth K.)

Date Posted: 5/8/2009 1:49 AM ET

David Tenant is a wonderful Dr and I'll hate to see him go.  He's the first actor who really became the Doctor to me since Tom Baker whom I have loved in all his roles but especially Doctor Who.  My least favorites were William Hartnell and Sylvester McCoy.  I do highly recommend the Tom Baker episodes as they are well written, and well acted.

Have a wonderful Spring weekend,  Betsy

PS - Favorite author of  mine was script editor for some of the Baker years ..... Douglas Adams :-)

doctort13 (Terrence B.)

Subject: Tom Baker is back!
Date Posted: 7/23/2009 9:03 AM ET

I have been a WHO fan since the mid-70's and still love this series.   I am thrilled that Tom Baker (my favorite Doctor) is returning to the role this Autumn.  He has recorded 5 BBC radio plays as The Doctor.  I can't wait to hear him!

For more WHO news check out:  http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/

wdavidw (William W.)

Subject: Whovian
Date Posted: 9/4/2010 1:36 AM ET

Yes, I'm a fan, and Tom Baker was a favorite doctor for many years.  I think Tennant has made the role his own.  I'm an older fan, however, and I tend to enjoy the earlier doctors better.  My fav Tom Baker shows are:  Horror at Fang Rock, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, and many others from those years.

Metryq (Matthew W.)

Date Posted: 9/6/2010 5:51 PM ET

My favorite line from "The Horror of Fang Rock" was Leela's "I am not a teshnician." The Doctor took a moment to comment on that term. It was the sort of thing that made me wonder if the reaction was scripted or ad-libbed.

The best line from "Weng-Chiang" was undoubtedly the Doctor's explanation of "Eureka!" as Greek for "This bath water is too hot!"

Edit: Just reviewed "The Horror of Fang Rock" and found another fun line I had forgotten. The Doctor sent Leela downstairs to tell Harker to stay on post and keep the boiler pressure up. Leela's delivery was "keep the boy pressure up." She's the perfect one for that job, but I preferred her with brown eyes, rather than the blue she gets at the end of the episode.

Last Edited on: 9/8/10 8:01 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
debcrossstitch (Debra C.)

Date Posted: 2/17/2011 6:55 PM ET

My daughter has been a Doctor Who fan since about 2008.  She always says that David Tennant was her favorite doctor.

steelergirl83 (Renee C.)

Date Posted: 3/2/2011 9:49 PM ET

I've never seen the older series, am I missing out? LOL! I'm a HUGE fan of the current series ever since I caught the first episode with Chris Ecceleston when it first started on SciFi a few years ago! I'm really loving Matt Smith as the Doctor and I think he might just be my fave. I'll admit I'm a bit of a romance junkie too so I did love the second series with Billie Piper and David Tennant. :-P

kungfudalek (Chris W.)

Subject: doctor who
Date Posted: 7/2/2012 11:10 PM ET

I am a big doctor who fan, love the classic and the new series. also love other british comedies and sci-fi as well!