Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: DVD returned to sender, now what?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Deborah B.

Subject: DVD returned to sender, now what?
Date Posted: 3/11/2014 4:20 PM ET

I mailed a DVD that was requested from me using the wrapper system. It came back to me as "insufficient address". Requester says address is correct. I have agreed with the requester to cancel the request and start over. However since it was mailed already I cannot cancel the request. I mailed it correctly and won't get any credit for it. How can I solve this problem?

sterju3 (Nicole W.)

Date Posted: 3/12/2014 5:38 PM ET

From the help section:

The most common causes for packages to be returned to sender:

• Incorrect Address.
    • Caused by transcription errors if you hand-wrote the address; the requestor mistyping his/her address in his/her account, or USPS error
  • Insufficient Postage
    • Caused by insufficient postage on the package, or USPS error.
  • Moved, no forwarding address:
    • Caused by the requestor moving before the DVD arrived, or USPS error.
  • Packages over 13 ounces mailed with postage stamps not being mailed from a PO.
    • Packages over 13 ounces bearing only postage stamps for postage must be handed to a postal employee, because of USPS security regulations.
    • If you use Printed Postage to send the package, this regulation does not apply.
  • Reusing Priority Mail materials (this is not permitted by USPS unless you are paying priority rate!) but applying Media Mail or First Class postage.

If the DVD was returned to you through an error on the requestor's part:

• the requestor should mark the DVD received to give you credit for mailing it , or give you credit directly using the Give Credits button on your profile or Tower - only after you have gotten credit for mailing it the first time, you can work out whether or not to remail the item to the requestor.
    • you can ask him or her for an extra credit (or money for the postage) to re-send the DVD if you agree to that.
  • If the requestor does not give you credit for mailing the first time, or asks you to mail to a new address without compensating you for the postage, please do not remail without compensation - contact us first, for help with this.

If the DVD was returned to you through USPS error:

• you can take it to the PO and explain the situation; they can check the address and if it is correct and the DVD was returned through USPS error, they can send it again "under cover" without requiring more postage.

If the requestor still wants the DVD, and you decide to re-send it, it may be declared Lost in the Mail before it arrives. 

• The requestor should be sure to cancel any new request for the DVD that may be submitted when your copy is declared Lost in the Mail
  • The requestor can then mark your copy received from the Lost transaction in the Transaction Archive.

Hope this helps.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 3/12/2014 6:20 PM ET

It came back to me as "insufficient address"

Ask the other member if there should be an apartment number on the address.  When you get the package check the address.  You can resend returned first class packages for no extra postage unless they changed the rules.  

Not sure if you already received it and resent the package.

Last Edited on: 3/12/14 6:23 PM EST - Total times edited: 3
Blindzombie74 (Sean K.)

Date Posted: 3/28/2014 7:25 PM ET

I wish people would stop using the wrapper system. They offer no protection, can be difficult to remove without damaging the cover, and can't be reused. The last game/movie swap site I was a member of, everyone used everyone else's mailers. I still have a box of used I've been using here. My supply is getting low because people want to wrap in printer paper and chuck it in the mail.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 4/27/2014 11:22 AM ET
Do not cancel it! I'd write to the team. There may have been an error on the addy. Or the postal people are being careless. It will most likely be claimed lost in mail. I'd wait to see what the team says.