Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Gold-colored DVD/Bootleg?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
SharonH (Sharon H.)

Subject: Gold-colored DVD/Bootleg?
Date Posted: 3/7/2008 10:30 PM ET

I received a DVD today and it won't play in my older player that doesn't accept DVD-r, DVD+r, CD-r, etc.  When I turned the DVD over, it doesn't have the traditional silver color, but is gold instead.  Do I have a burned copy/bootleg?  I don't have a single pressed DVD in my collection that has a gold color on the underneath side.

Jay (Jay S.)

Date Posted: 3/8/2008 6:18 AM ET

I have one or two audio CDs with a gold tint, but all my DVDs are silver ... I think.

I can usually tell by looking at the artwork if it's a bootleg/copy or not.  How's the graphic look on the disc itself? 

Also, almost all proper DVDs are copy protected, so if you're able to make a duplicate of the DVD in question, odds are it's a burned copy.

J

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 3/8/2008 8:45 AM ET

It's a good possibility that the DVD is a bootleg copy.  Burned DVDs typically look purple on the playing side.

What DVD is it?  Does the cover art match up exactly to the US retail version?  Is there a scratch mark on the inside ring of the playable side, called a "worm?"

Here is a good link to help determine if a DVD is legit or not.

Not all gold backed DVDs are bootlegs though.  My original U2 Live Vertigo in Chicago DVD appears a little more gold looking than most.

SharonH (Sharon H.)

Date Posted: 3/8/2008 9:29 AM ET

The cover art/insert looks very authentic.  A purplish-blue hue would have been a definite give-away as a dvd-r but I know dvd-r can come in other colors as well and it is said that Lightscribe can make very authentic-looking copies. 

Has anyone else had problems playing The Mummy on their older players?  This is the first theatrical DVD that I've had a problem with on my older player.  It plays fine on my newer player and computer which both support additional formats.

SharonH (Sharon H.)

Date Posted: 3/8/2008 9:37 AM ET

Thank you very much for the link, Alex.  From what I read, it does say that there are some pressed DVDs with a gold backing.  I will give the swapper the benefit of the doubt since everything else looks authentic.  I appreciate the help.

Jay (Jay S.)

Date Posted: 3/8/2008 11:17 AM ET

I never heard of that 'worm' thing before.  Alex, do you know if it has a purpose?

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 3/8/2008 8:41 PM ET

"  Alex, do you know if it has a purpose?"

My theories behind the worms are that a DVD can possibly be traced back to the machine that pressed it.  So the bootleggers may scratch off this encoded info.  Again, this is my best guess.  I could be totally wrong. 

I have seen bootlegged DVDs with the worm.  I didn't know there was a proper name until I saw that peerflix page.

Xiaoke X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/3/2018 10:34 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0
Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:43 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0