Discussion Forums - Foreign Films

Topic: Best & Worst movies w/subtitles

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
ecomama (Julie D.)

Subject: Best & Worst movies w/subtitles
Date Posted: 1/2/2016 11:09 PM ET

available on Amazon Prime this month.  (Nope, I'm not saying I've watched them all...)

Really, I just wanted to share a great movie...and I was frustrated that several movies I've watched were not showing up in the search here...and not all were subtitled foreign films either.

Okay, so I highly recommend Road to Your Heart w/ Ivan Botha, DonnaLee Roberts & Directed by Jaco Smit. Is it predictable?  Yeah.  But it's funny & heartwarming...maybe a chick flick.  Some really good music.  Made me lol.  Worth watching twice (I plan to share it w/a friend).  Could it be improved on...sure, but these films usually aren't million$ budgets, so I'm not feeling particularly picky over minor details...they told a good story.

Especially after starting 3 different films today that I couldn't stomach even 1/2 hour of...and I pushed myself really hard on the supposed award-winning The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared which has a 4.3* rating of 890 people, "The highest-grossing Swedish film of all time based on the best-selling novel, this explosive comedy blockbuster is a fanciful spin on world history through the spirited antics of a mischievous centenarian with a flair for adventure."  I swear I lost brain cells, truly felt brain dead after 25 minutes of this movie.  It was, in one word, appalling.  Not even a chuckle.  Expect to see several ordinary people die in bizarre circumstances...hilarious?

btw, the movie I liked avg 4.1* from 161 people.  I would give it 4.5*  (And the brain-killer...1/2* is too generous).  Hope that helps your movie watching.

Katcha (Katcha S.)

Date Posted: 12/27/2019 12:33 PM ET

A bit off topic, but regarding subtitles, what is any filmaker thinking when those are plastered across the TOP of the screen?!? And why not make use of colored lettering (light yellow?) instead of black or white which blends into background?

Last Edited on: 12/27/19 12:34 PM EST - Total times edited: 1