Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Does the SkipDr (or other products like it) really work?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
ellis9 (Linda S.)

Subject: Does the SkipDr (or other products like it) really work?
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 4:07 PM ET

My friend got me a SkipDr because I have some DVDs and CDs that skip or have a scratchy/hissing "burp." I sprayed on the resurfacing fluid, put the disc in the device, spun the wheel and got scared by the grinding noise. Has anyone used this or something like it? Does it really work? And what exactly is in the resurfacing liquid? Is it easy to buy another bottle if I run out?

Last Edited on: 3/14/08 4:09 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Jay (Jay S.)

Date Posted: 3/14/2008 7:28 PM ET

Whoa, a grinding noise would concern me as well.

Never heard of SkipDr.

Robey (Robey S.)

Date Posted: 3/14/2008 10:00 PM ET

I have OptiFix and it kinda makes that noise, I wouldn't worry about it. You can buy replacment liquid, it should say in the package where or what kind, I haven't gotten to that point where I need more yet. I like mine because it cleans as well as repairs, I clean all the DVD's I get from here, I've only had one that I tried to repair from here, but it was so badly scratched that it didn't work, so I don't know about that. 

mjohntx (Mark J.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2008 3:10 PM ET

i have a JFJ disc Repair system and it works very well at polishing the discs and sanding them to repair them because of heavy scratches. This is the system that Blockbusters and hollywood videos uses to clean their rental discs. I wouldn't buy one new but check ebay as i have found cheap ones on it.

movienut (Darwin H.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2008 3:28 PM ET

Mark,

Do you use the Single Arm DVD Repair System or the Easy Pro version? Do you know how they compare to one another? I could maybe justify the price of the Easy Pro at about $175 but wouldn't even consider the Single Arm version at approx. $500. Thanks!

Last Edited on: 3/15/08 3:29 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
mjohntx (Mark J.)

Date Posted: 3/15/2008 3:59 PM ET

i have the double arm model, not sure what the easy pro version is? i have a 800 number that you could call to talk to someone about it. PM me.

vunderbar (Herbert M.)

Date Posted: 10/31/2008 4:58 PM ET

I had great results with SkipDr. The noise is just the unit doing its job. The greatest thing about it is the price at only $39. I presume the fluid is a very fine grinding compound, though I'm not sure of that. I get some pretty scratched up DVDs in trade and so far this unit has polished them all before I relist them. The worst was Bee Movie, which looked as though the kids had been playing it over and over and using it as a frisbee in between playings. It came out like new.

Venomn (Christopher K.)

Subject: Actually No
Date Posted: 11/3/2008 11:00 AM ET

Believe it or not,the best stuff in the world to clean and also mend scratched DVD's/CD's is in your own medicine cabinet.2 Items actually.1 is Toothpaste and the second is Shaving Cream.Both are non abrasive and make miracles.Make sure you do not use the shaving cream with aloe or anything.has to be plain jane cream.same for toothpaste.nothing mint,or anything of the like either.here is an article i found browsing through the net this morning that might help you.

How to Clean DVDs and CDs

Clean DVDs and CDs in the Comfort of Your Own Home

How to Clean DVDs and CDs - Associated Content <~~Main Link with this article and more regarding this.
~~~

Don't you just hate it when a DVD or a CD or a CD type of video game gets scratched up? They just don't work properly. You try your best to keep them in mint condition. You never touch the shiny part. You always hold them by either inserting your finger in the hole in the middle or by holding it on the circumference by your fingertips. Yet no matter what you do, sooner or later, you find a scratch. There's good news and there's bad news. The bad news is that there are DVDs and CDs that are just too scratched up to be fixed. The good news is that lightly scratched up DVDs and CDs can be cleaned and repaired in the comfort of your own home.

One of the best
investments I've made is buying Novus Plastic Polish from Albertson's. It came in a ziplock bag. It has a Novus Plastic Clean & Shine spray, a Novus Fine Scratch Remover, Novus Polish Mates cloth, and instructions. It was $10, and it works. Now, if you don't have this product, can't find it, or don't want to buy it, there's another solution. Just look in your bathroom, or in your cleaning closet.

Take your lightly scratched DVD or CD, go to your bathroom, and use toothpaste. Yes, toothpaste! Spread toothpaste on all the shiny part of the disc. Spread it liberally. This means, don't be stingy. Set the disc down for a minute or two. Wash off the toothpaste with lukewarm water. Shake off excess water, and then dry.

The cloth you use to dry makes a huge difference. The best type of cloth is nonabrasive, absorbent, and lint free. Do NOT use a towel. Do NOT use toilet paper. Do NOT use paper towel. Do NOT use the shirt you're currently wearing or anything in the hamper. Make sure the cloth you use to dry is not rough, or you'll end up with more scratches. A towel may be soft, but it's not smooth. Paper towels are not smooth either. Toilet paper and
clothing adds lint. Lint will add more scratches and mess up your DVD or CD player. Find the type of cloth described above. The Novus Polish Mates cloth are sold in stores. Or use a clean soft cotton cloth (like a diaper). Don't use polyester or rayon wipes. If you're going to give in to using clothes (like I have in the past), use a clean, white, plain cotton shirt.

I hope this helped you.

immortaljackwest (Jason T.)

Subject: toothpaste is not always a good idea
Date Posted: 11/20/2008 10:45 PM ET

I would not recommend the toothpaste for repairing dvds. many toothpaste have strong abrasive that can ruins the surface. I have had to repair disc friends have tried to repair with the toothpaste method.

I personally have a JFJ easy pro. it does a pretty good job and has more than paid for itself.

the initial starter kit supplies repair about 100 discs. After that you can usually get supply for about $50 for about 300 disc.

after repairing the discs, I usually clean them with lens cleaner and microfiber cloths. each cost a $1 at dollar tree

King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 5/14/2018 10:15 PM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 7:18 PM EST - Total times edited: 0