Discussion Forums - DVD Bazaar

Topic: Buying/Selling Credits? READ THIS FIRST

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
SwapaDVDTeam (Admin S.)
SwapaDVD Team

Subject: Buying/Selling Credits? READ THIS FIRST
Date Posted: 7/6/2016 6:49 PM ET

As of today, July 6th, 2016, there will be a minimum price for DVD Credits sold between members of $3 per credit.

You are free to buy and sell DVD Credits as always, but you may NOT sell or buy them for less than $3.00 per DVD Credit.

• That also means you may not offer or ask for goods (for example, Gift Cards) that work out to less than $3 per DVD Credit.

This change is meant to keep the club healthy and working for everyone.

Members who become aware of any infractions should contact us ASAP.  FYI - the rule will be strictly enforced!

This policy goes into effect in all three sites today.

Thanks,

The SwapaDVD Team

Brad (Brad R.)

Date Posted: 7/9/2016 1:35 AM ET

http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp

Last Edited on: 7/9/16 8:39 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
BullsEyeRadio (John L.)

Subject: Leaving
Date Posted: 7/13/2016 11:10 AM ET

Well then I will be leaving this place then considering that I can buy BRAND NEW DVD's at Walmart for $5.00 and sometimes less than that.

I find that an UNFAIR rule ! If people want to sell credis for less , they should be allowed to ! Let THEM make the choice , dont force it down their throat !

I understand that it costs money to ship but do you think that it is fair to push that cost onto everyone else ?

I was a buying customer , constantly buying and using credits and now that will end because of this new rule. I will use the last of my credits and then close my account. 

It doesnt always work to your benefit SWAPADVD to push your costs onto the consumer , because then you LOSE business just like you just lost me !

I also had a link to your site on my site and I really was plugging you alot but now you will be removed !

Last Edited on: 7/13/16 11:51 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
Brad (Brad R.)

Date Posted: 7/13/2016 1:15 PM ET

They have effectively made the cost of a blu-ray/dvd combo $12.49 with the new rule. Who won't compare that price to Amazon or any other store before using this site now? I love this site, but I don't understand the logic behind the new rule. Humble opinion.

BullsEyeRadio (John L.)

Date Posted: 7/13/2016 5:11 PM ET

QUOTE : They have effectively made the cost of a blu-ray/dvd combo $12.49 with the new rule. Who won't compare that price to Amazon or any other store before using this site now? I love this site, but I don't understand the logic behind the new rule. Humble opinion. END QUOTE

I'm with you Brad, it is not logical to put prices on "USED" DVD's so high that comparing them to other places where you pay that same price you'll get BRAND NEW instead of USED. Just doesnt make any sense and it isnt good business for the consumer. They should change the name to DVDPAYALOT

Last Edited on: 7/13/16 5:11 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Jody M.

Date Posted: 7/13/2016 9:53 PM ET

DVD's have become so cheap and I have several places in my town that sell them for 75 cents to $1.00 each ( and some are brand new ) and they have very good stock.  I have to really want a DVD to spend $3 to order one.

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 12:26 AM ET

I can't think of many DVDs that are on my WL that I can get for $5 at Walmart... The used bookstores near me have some commons for $3, but pretty much all of the ones that aren't in the $5 bin at Walmart are $5-9 each (when they have something interesting) and their boxset prices tend to be similar to Amazon, so SaDVD is still a great place to get movies and sets for me.

LuciusMaximus (Henry J.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 2:46 AM ET

There has been lots of discussions about this.  Yes, for people who buy $2 credits to get incredibly cheap DVDs, it's time to look somewhere else.

This issue about the imbalance between credits awarded to blu-rays vs DVDs has been extensively discussed already.  Yes, the system is not perfect, and individuals have been using it to his/her own advantage.  Yes, it's not so good to get blu-ray/DVD combos here, now that the credit price has been adjusted for postage and DVD price.  

Really.  Even today, getting a blu-ray you really want for $6 is not bad...if you consider you normally have to pay shipping and tax.  Shipping on amazon.com or  half.com is typically $3.99 for used DVDs and blu-rays (more than the $3 credit).

One needs to consider this:  setting the minimum value of the credit at $3 will incentivize people to swap in their blu-rays.  That's a great thing!  More chances for finding what you want! 

gumgub (Douglas M.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 4:26 AM ET

The low market value of a credit was brought about by the overvaluation of 1) blu-ray discs at two credits each and 2) additional discs in sets (after the first) at one credit each. A better long-term change would be to set blu-rays to one credit and additional discs to half a credit.

BullsEyeRadio (John L.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 7:59 AM ET

Well all my credits I had left are now spent and I wont be buying anymore. Your right Lucius , time to move on.

SwapaDVD was a good place at one time but now like many places sadly in our society , the almighty dollar takes presidence over customer satisfaction. So I will not shop here anymore as I feel will be the same for many many people , and soon the costs of keeping the site open will be more than they are earning , and eventually someone will say thats enough and close it down , all because they wanted more for credits . . . . .is it really worth it ?

Good luck to all Have fun in future DVD searches , maybe we'll meet again along the cyber road of life !

Last Edited on: 7/14/16 7:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
seizetheday (Kevin R.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 12:00 PM ET

John,

What are you going to do if one of your 75 wishlisted items gets posted?

rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 12:17 PM ET

Best of luck finding better shopping grounds. This site should NEVER have been that as it's meant for swapping not just somewhere for people to buy cheap media. Hopefully now we can get back to swapping as the site is intended. People should be putting effort (movies) into the system and not just taking them out.

BullsEyeRadio (John L.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 2:47 PM ET

QUOTE : John, What are you going to do if one of your 75 wishlisted items gets posted? END QUOTE

I will not be here to see them once all of my last picks arrive and I give the credit to those that sent to me , so there will be NO wish list. I have already printed the list out and will look elsewhere at reasonable prices.

And to Melissa :

Since the 1st day I was ever on this site there was never any swapping going on at all. Only get credits to buy and post dvds to sell

( buy and sell meaning for credits )

So if there was any swapping going on it must have have been in the James Bond secret decoder ring section of the site !

Last Edited on: 7/14/16 2:48 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 5:43 PM ET

And, sadly, that buy/sell mentality is what most likely killed the sites.

The premise was that people TRADE items for like items. In theory (and according to the FAQ and TOS), people send out an item, earn a credit, then spend that credit on a different item. Not buy credits on the cheap and not put anything back into the system in return. It's really not a hard concept and, hey, SWAP is even in the title of all the sites so that should have been a major clue.

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 6:52 PM ET

It's sad that people would rather leave than actually trade now that the credits better reflect the actual cost, but like Kevin I am curious if John will be leaving his WL active when he departs.

LuciusMaximus (Henry J.)

Date Posted: 7/14/2016 10:33 PM ET

John, your words sound so unreal, and I sort of see where you're coming from.  You started just over a year ago (June 2015), and the credits were crazy cheap.  When you found the Bazaar, you must of thought, "oh my god, I've hit the jackpot!"

I've been a member for 7 years now, and I've swapped a lot of DVDs and blue-rays.  Then, credits were being sold for over $3 (I remember $3.20 or $3.15), and people bought them at those prices.  Back then, even though you could occasionally buy used blu-rays for $5-$8, no one ever said, "gosh, a blu-ray for 2 credits is just too much."

Anyway, I've said this before but I'll say it again:  it's good to see SwapADVD putting a minimum price on credits sold.  Credit sales in the Bazaar just became too much, squashing the essential idea that people are supposed to be trading DVDs here.

Like other old-timers here, I'm ready to go through my DVD/blu-ray collection and start posting again!

BullsEyeRadio (John L.)

Date Posted: 7/15/2016 12:29 AM ET

Wonder no more Renee , my WL is GONE !

twudiyono (Timothy W.)

Date Posted: 7/16/2016 4:12 PM ET

Can we clarify this part:

• That also means you may not offer or ask for goods (for example, Gift Cards) that work out to less than $3 per DVD Credit.

Does this mean we are not allowed to give freebies with purchase of credits? Or can we as long as we sell the credits for no less than $3?

Last Edited on: 7/16/16 4:13 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
rxrcds (Melissa B.)

Date Posted: 7/16/2016 4:36 PM ET

A response regarding freebies that was made on PBS (by tour guide,not official):

"

It was suggested to me in one of the threads about selling credits that i should offer for every 3 credits bought , you get one free.   i didnt try it because I dont want to get in any trouble.......Is that even allowed?

Please don't do it. They are STRICTLY enforcing this new rule. You can offer deals on your books in the Bazaar. You cannot offer deals on your credits."

tneagle (Kenny H.)

Subject: crack down
Date Posted: 7/16/2016 11:16 PM ET

I think if you are going to crack down on credit selling, you need to stop Wish List Mutiples Listing.

I think that thread is very unhealthy for the club in getting items you have had on your wish list for a long time.

This thread circumvents the Wish List.

LuciusMaximus (Henry J.)

Date Posted: 7/17/2016 12:38 PM ET

First, the rule on minimum credit price hasn't "cracked down" on credit selling.  There are still many threads selling credits, now at $3 each.

Second, credit price and wish list multiple listing are mostly separate issues.  Although you may have a point, but the SwapADVD team officially allows the Wish List Multiples listing to explicitly provide relief from rising postage rates.  In a way, it is in consideration of all the nice folks who are very actively swapping on the site.  Active users in the Bazaar provide a lot of traffick to the site and spend a lot of money on postage (some of that paid to SwapADVD).  Like the issue with credit minimum price, the SwapADVD team ultimately decides what is allowable and what is not.

I think so far they have made some very gradual, prudent, and wise decisions.

tneagle (Kenny H.)

Subject: point
Date Posted: 7/18/2016 10:00 PM ET

I understand there are different opinions and that is why there are different brands of ketchup. What one member likes may not be what another member likes. What benefits one member might not excite another member. I still think that you should follow the basic rules and not provide special rules because of postage concerns. I have had many items that have been on the wish list for many years. It is not fair for another member to circumvent the wish list just to save postage.

LuciusMaximus (Henry J.)

Date Posted: 7/18/2016 10:16 PM ET

Now, where's that discussion thread on Wishlist Multiples...  It must dates back many years...

ischivalrydead (Karyn B.)

Date Posted: 7/21/2016 1:36 PM ET

"now that the credits better reflect the actual cost"

More like, they were tired of being undersold.   They are now selling them for nearly $4 apiece.    Everyone offering credits for sale had them at $2 or less, including me.  That meant that people would not buy them from the site, so the owners got mad.  Hence their brand new rule, that they just randomly come up with and throw out there, and basically say "[Edited by the SwapaDVD Team] you, if you don't like it, tough, we'll close your account."  similar to what they started over a year ago at PBS.

Selling credits worked for awhile, for me, last year.  I was upset at selling them that low, because I was losing money on each one already, butno one would buy them for any higher.  I had just come on here to offer credits for sale again, and saw people selling for $3 and thought 'wow!  no one will buy them that high, maybe I can sell some for $2.50 now and try to recoup some losses...'  Until I saw why.  What they are trying ot do is get more money.  People who have credits left, but don't see anything they like, are trying to sell... and not trade.  SO, they think, if I can't sell them, let me look again to see if there is anything I want.  Oh, there's something, I'll use my credits on that.  NO, WAIT.  You have to BUY money to do that.  Yes, that's right, it used to be 1 credit per dvd, but dont' forget, we added that pesky 49 cent fee in years ago too, so you are stuck holding the bag either way.  Yeah, way to go SwapaDVD.  Lose more customers just like you did at PBS.

ischivalrydead (Karyn B.)

Date Posted: 7/21/2016 1:37 PM ET

"setting the minimum value of the credit at $3 will incentivize people to swap in their blu-rays"

um, how?

Page: