Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Warner Archive and MOD movies

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Glenn T.

Subject: Warner Archive and MOD movies
Date Posted: 8/20/2016 8:27 PM ET

Hi - I just joined and was hoping to find folks who want to swap Warner Archive and MOD movies.   I really into the classics.  Why is swaping them not allowed?

Thanks -

Glenn

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 8/20/2016 8:54 PM ET

It's a shame we cannot trade them.  

From Help Center

What is a 'pirated' or 'burned' copy of a movie? How do I know if I have one?

* Does the DVD have the words "DVD-R" or "DVD + R" on it?  This may be a burned copy, made on a DVD burner, and it might be illegal. Note: Made-on-demand (MOD) copies that are downloaded legally and burned to disc may have "DVD-R" or "DVD +R" printed on them - those are not illegal copies but they are not permitted for swapping here, as we cannot be sure that only one, legal copy was burned from the download.

Glenn T.

Date Posted: 8/21/2016 1:50 AM ET

I would like to think that adults would know what a downloaded and burned Warner Archive dvd looks like and one that was bought legally.  There is a difference and you can tell by the label.

As long as it wasn't downloaded and has the original packaging per regular requirements I don't see why it should be a problem. It would be no different than buying a a pressed dvd.

It's a shame because there's about a thousand titles I'd like to see.

Glenn

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 8/22/2016 12:11 PM ET

Considering the amount of bootlegs I have had sent to me on here and had to mark RWAP, I would be surprised if most could tell the difference between a legally burned copy and an illegally burned copy. A lot of the illegally burned copies look *really* good nowadays and it is sometimes very difficult to tell.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 8/28/2016 1:52 PM ET

MOD titles have been discussed exhaustively (it seems) in earlier threads in CMT.  Maybe someone w/ better search skills can help you locate those discussions.  I'm not clear if we can even give these away free on here, as in "free with an order" type deals.  I know it is done, but its probably one of those grey areas. 

Many of the mems still do not know what an MOD is!  And if they saw one, they would probably assume they could start posting illegally burned discs. 

On the labels of DVD-R (MOD) they should state they are DVD-R or Made on Demand--the wording is different depending where they are coming from, and where the ifnormation is located.  I just discovered one in my keepers the other day that had this info printed in tiny print around the edge of the disc that I needed a magnifying glass to read.  Others are makred DVD-R in easy to spot areas on the disc label, but not always.  I've seen the info in the tiny print on the back of artwork.  They can also indicate DVD-9 rather than MOD or DVD-R.  I have a warner Archive that shows "DVD" on one side of the spindle hole area and underneath in tiny print it reads Download.  Around the edge of the label it reads, "Widescreen MOD disc."  I have receipt inside the case for the purchase. An A&E MOD is marked under the DVD Video Disc box in the tiniest type that it's a DVD-R, this would be extremely easy to miss!  The same symbol appears on the back of the art.  I used my magnifying glass even so was barely able to discern the DVD-R.

Last Edited on: 8/28/16 1:59 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 8/28/2016 2:13 PM ET

One MOD title I have is Hanna Barbera Classic Collection, The Roman Holidays.  

Above the UPC is Manufactured by Amazon.com. The back of the artwork reads, warnerarchive.com

The top of the discs have art and in small print Standard MOD Disc

This part surprised me:

There's  an image of a "NO"(red circle with a diagonal line) a black disc with arrow pointing at a gray disc.

With the words THIS DVD IS COPY PROTECTED AND MAY BE PLAYED ONLY ON LICENSED DEVICES.

So this MOD has copy protection.  This is really different from the reasons given why we cannot trade MODs.  

I could NOT find DVD-R or DVD-9 on the discs even with a magnifier.  This is a 2013 package design.  

So maybe all MODS are not the same.  Some are copy protected.  

Last Edited on: 8/28/16 2:17 PM EST - Total times edited: 5
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 8/28/2016 4:01 PM ET

Maybe Amazon's have that writing.  You'd think they'd all be copy protected, though, if Warner is producing them and they are their own discs.  Others I have purchased are from nonprofits--documentaries--that do not even indicate that they are MOD or DVD-R, and these cost more than a normal DVD.

bluebolt7 (James P.)

Date Posted: 9/5/2016 2:49 PM ET

I've received one Warner Archive DVD here. I watched it and relisted it and it was immediately snapped up. It was in the system. There's a company called Sinister Cinema that makes DVDs of lots of old movies and they are apparently burned in-house on DVD-R. I've received three or four of them on SwapaDVD. They were old Tom Mix silent westerns and I was glad to get them. Wish I could find more Warner Archives discs listed.

silverscreensilent22 (Robbi C.)

Date Posted: 9/5/2016 7:49 PM ET

I've received a bunch of MOD DVD-Rs on here, most of them from the Warner Archive, a few from A&E and The History Channel programs. I've never RWAPed any, because they're well worth the watch and hard to find, even if I can't repost. I also was thrilled to receive, through the system, two volumes of old episodes of Ben Casey (early 1960s doctor show), each with three discs. I know I'm dating myself, but I used to watch those episodes as a young child with my mom, and it was great to get to see them again.

Last Edited on: 9/5/16 7:50 PM EST - Total times edited: 3
Tom B.

Date Posted: 9/13/2016 5:32 PM ET

There are plenty of Warner MOD titles listed in the SAD system so you can list them however they are rarely available from members. I think the problem may be the OP wanted to list brand new titles that were not in SAD's listings but they will likely be eventually.  

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 9/14/2016 9:31 AM ET

Even if the listing is on swap, if it is a MOD it is not tradeable here. Although most receivers would be happy to get it, you are dependant on them being willing to not retrade it if they know the rules, and not RWAP you because you are not following the rules. Personally, it would not be worth it for me to take the risks but I can understand those that unknowingly do so because they are not informed about the rules of the site.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 9/14/2016 11:37 AM ET

Kathryn is correct.  MODs are not postable on this site.

This is not a true statement: There are plenty of Warner MOD titles listed in the SAD system so you can list them.

Swap uses Amazon's database, and that is why the Warner Archives and other MODs are in the swap system. You still have to follow the swap rules.  Knowingly postting an MOD through the system jeopardizes your membership.  That said, I have received a few that I was glad to get--titles I would otherwise not be able to watch. I do not list Warner Archive titles on my WL. 

Last Edited on: 9/14/16 11:41 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
King K.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 8/21/2018 2:10 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 8/21/18 11:58 AM EST - Total times edited: 0