Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Received damaged disc, marked as received, am I out of options?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
foxhack (David S.)

Subject: Received damaged disc, marked as received, am I out of options?
Date Posted: 1/4/2017 5:50 PM ET

I just got a disc that was scratched so much the disc won't work right (it freezes at 28 minutes in), and had very damaged artwork and a broken case because the sender sent it in a bare envelope with no padding. I marked it as received thinking that I would be able to report a problem afterwards, but I can't. What option do I have in this case? Did I do the wrong thing by marking it as received in this condition?

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 1/4/2017 6:18 PM ET

I think many of us have learned the hard way we need to check the disc before marking received.  Happened to me a few time but most swaps have been good.  You could try the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page and plead your case.  

When you get a bad disc you mark it a RWAP received with a problem.  

foxhack (David S.)

Date Posted: 1/4/2017 6:40 PM ET

I did check it before marking it received. I didn't realize there was a report with a problem button, so I assumed I'd have to mark it as received first.

I don't mind losing a credit, call it a learning experience. I do however care about people sending stuff without any sort of padding. I already gave the sender a heck of a lecture, and I don't want my credit back. I just don't want anyone else to get a ruined DVD because of no padding. :|

I mean it's bloody common sense! We all know how the USPS treats Media Mail packages!

(And yes the case did have something to prevent the disc from going loose in transit. Not like it could do anything against that big crack in the back...)

Last Edited on: 1/4/17 6:40 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 1/13/2017 11:35 AM ET

You should, however, always mark them received with a problem if you receive damaged goods or unplayable, which helps weed out members that continually send unplayable  or damaged discs.  They should not be rewarded for not following the rules for posting.  It is possible to write to the team even after you have incorrectly marked a disc as received.  You will most likely get a lecture yourself in kind for not checking the playability of a visually scratched disc.  Whether or not you want your credit, you are entitled to a refund.  I would contact the team.

Nirvana678 (Michael A.)

Date Posted: 3/6/2017 11:39 PM ET

If you are stuck with the scratched dvd, Game Stop used to sell a Disk Skip Fixer paste. You smear a little bit on the disc, rub per the instructions, and it helps with a lot of scratches. Its a pretty good product.