Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: No bin number.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Charlotte L.

Subject: No bin number.
Date Posted: 1/25/2017 6:03 AM ET

How can I post a DVD that does not have a number on it, I got it from here so there has to be a way to repost it.

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2017 10:33 AM ET

DVDs have to have the UPC to be postable on the site. If you received one that did not have it, then it was an unpostable that was wrongly posted through the system. It sounds like it's too late to mark it Received-With-a-Problem, but that is the proper way to mark any disc that is unpostable so that the sender is discouraged from doing so in the future and the recipient gets their credit back to order a replacement.

Charlotte L.

Date Posted: 1/25/2017 11:59 AM ET

So how did the person post it for me to order ?

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2017 12:49 PM ET

They might have looked up a UPC using Google and used that, but it's against the site's rules.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 1/25/2017 11:26 PM ET

Charlotte, you can offer it through the bazaar as an unpostable.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 1/30/2017 8:43 AM ET

Sometimes people post movies directly from their transactions rather than using a upc.  You should never post a movie this way as you can run into a problem later.  Everything you order is on your "tower" on hold.  You can always look up where you got the movie from, and contact the sender and the team.

jac27187 (John C.)

Date Posted: 2/2/2017 2:13 PM ET

Gloria, I disagree about "You should never post a movie this way" there is a little known feature on this site called "Most Traveled Copies" and if you take it off your tower then post it with the UPC, it will lose its travel count...  I think it's fun to see the route that some of these movies take, but that's just me.  My suggestion would be that you always check for a UPC on a movie that you recieve BEFORE marking it recieved smiley

Kevin R.

Date Posted: 2/3/2017 2:33 PM ET

I also have been following Gloria's suggestion, because it's a way of verifying that the disc posted on my tower exactly matches the database entry for it.  While it's possible that one or more titles I've received are not *exactly* the edition I requested, the disc received has met my needs; I just want to make sure that whenever I send it out to someone later, it is exactly the one that they asked for by clicking the Order button.

My steps are:  1) post to tower, marked as "on hold"; 2) receive the disc, asking the system to delete it from my tower.  (If I don't tell it to delete from my tower, I end up with two copies on my tower.)

I think it would be a great additional feature on the site to have a UPC verification during the receipt check-in process.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 2/5/2017 9:57 AM ET

Kevin,  What a great suggestion!  I think it would be a great additional feature on the site to have a UPC verification during the receipt check-in process.

When checking movies in, I don't always use all of the boxes, and really find the process tedious.  I think the site needs to refine that process to allow someone to just mark a thing received w/o going into what the postage costs (who cares?), or whether it was mailed in the annoying swapadvd paper.  However, it really would be useful to users to add a upc verification, that would keep movies with wrong upc or no upc out of the system.

@ John,  You may likely check the upc when you are posting your movies from your tower, but newbies frequently automatically post movies this way and this is how many wrong dvds keep circulating in the system.  There is a learning curve, and people should always check the upcs and post with the upcs.

Liz D.

Date Posted: 2/9/2017 10:25 PM ET

An additional thought on this- my local library tends to resell items with the UPC and library labels permanent markered over.  Is it against TOS to post them?

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 2/10/2017 9:50 AM ET

Items must have a valid UPC code to be postable. You are welcome to offer those items in the DVD bazaar.