Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: I just received a DVD set that smells strongly of cat pee--thoughts?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
rbrown (Robert B.)

Subject: I just received a DVD set that smells strongly of cat pee--thoughts?
Date Posted: 5/20/2017 5:00 PM ET

I got in a DVD 6-disc set today from another swapper.  I noticed an unpleasant odor when I opened the package, and when I looked at the set more closely, I discovered that it had both cat urine stains around the bottom inch of the box AND a most horrible cat urine smell.

I marked it as received with a problem and explained all of this in an email to the powers that be, and my credits reappeared instantly, but I think that the swapping rules need to be a bit more specific about barring discs with strong unpleasant odors.

What do you guys think?

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 5/20/2017 5:42 PM ET

Robert,  I know there's a clause somewhere about "no pungent odors".  

So no heavy perfumes, urine, etc.  

My only question is why does everyone say cat urine?

I had cats and they never went around urinating on things.  

I suspect human, cat and dog urine all break down and age to a strong ammonia smell.  Yucky for sure!  

TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 5/20/2017 6:01 PM ET

Is the artwork stained?  There's a clause about water damaged artwork (close enough).    Ugh - why do people send stuff like that? 

rbrown (Robert B.)

Date Posted: 5/21/2017 12:23 AM ET

Valerie,

You asked:

My only question is why does everyone say cat urine?

I had cats and they never went around urinating on things.  

I suspect human, cat and dog urine all break down and age to a strong ammonia smell.  Yucky for sure!  

My ex-wife had a cat that would pee on things when she got angry, and this DVD set smells EXACTLY like that.  It's worse than just an ammonia smell; it's truly foul.  So, from personal experience, it's a cat pee smell.

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 5/21/2017 11:28 AM ET

Oh truly fowl!  Okay, I just hate to see cats getting a bad rap.

My cat was my ex-husband's ex-wife's cat.  She was a good cat.  I really miss that cat.  

Myke007 (Mike P.)

Subject: ...
Date Posted: 5/24/2017 12:22 PM ET

Once my cat was in such a bad mood that it pooped on my pillow. Ha. Some can get moody

Utwig (Erik F.)

Date Posted: 5/30/2017 3:46 AM ET

All jokes aside I would have sent them a twenty-eight pound box of Arm & Hammer clump and seal clumping litter. That way both of you get a good laugh out of it, but secretly they will feel shamed for at least a week. 

diamondd (David N.)

Date Posted: 6/13/2017 10:16 AM ET

Sorry to hear it Robert. I'm glad you got your credits back. It's sickening people can be so terrable because, even if they're used to a smell, there's no way they didn't know it was stained like that when they packaged it up. The worst smelly things I've ever gotten has a terrable musty odor that's still there after a couple years (I just checked). The set I checked out of the order is in a tin so, even though I left it open forever but I closed it because it's too inconveniant. I'll take that over what you got any day though. There are so many great members here but I've noticed those who send the worst things usually blame the reciever. I checked your wish list but I'm sorry I have nothing there to post to you to help you forget about that experience.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 7/18/2017 3:52 PM ET

I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats

laughon Amazon