Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Are Ex Library DVDs postable?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
jasecw (Jason K.)

Subject: Are Ex Library DVDs postable?
Date Posted: 6/3/2017 4:48 PM ET

I just received a ex Library dvd in the mail and it does have a valid upc code however I thought Library copys were donated and not for sale is this a stolen dvd. It has a sticker on the artwork and the disc itself so I'm not sure. I checked the FAQ and couldn't find anything related to dvds. Any help would be appreciated.   

Last Edited on: 6/3/17 4:49 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2017 5:01 PM ET

Many x library dvds are sold at friends of library sales and are postable as long as the upc is correct.  Many used dvds have small stickers on the artwork.

jasecw (Jason K.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2017 5:24 PM ET

the artwork sticker doesn't bother me as much as the sticker on the disc itself as removing that would damage the disc. 

jasecw (Jason K.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2017 6:36 PM ET

so I was reading this thread and it appears as this is photocopied artwork I'm think RWAP

http://www.swapadvd.com/forum/topic.php?t=35889

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 6/3/2017 7:41 PM ET

i was going to say that beware that some library copies do not have original artwork, which would be a RWAP. I have gotten several where they just reprint copies to fit in smaller cases. Definitely not acceptable here. However, if you happen to find a library copy that has the original artwork, and in otherwise postable condition, then yes it is acceptable here.

Kevin R.

Date Posted: 6/3/2017 8:57 PM ET

As others have pointed out, the only requirements are that the disc plays, it is in a case, and it has the original artwork (not a photocopy) that includes the UPC and minimal damage. Not sure what is meant by thinking library copies are "donated"--libraries acquire DVDs just like they do anything else: they buy them. Yes, they might get materials as donations, but that does not make them any different from materials received by any private person. I have passed along to other SaDVD members several discs that were "donated" to me (usually used, rarely new) by friends and acquaintances.

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/4/2017 12:23 AM ET

Many disc purchased from rental chains have a sticker around the center hole. I've received many like that.

Have you contacted the sender? It is possible they did not realize it was not original artwork or didn't know that was unpostable.

jasecw (Jason K.)

Date Posted: 6/4/2017 12:33 PM ET

@ Kevin R

When I said "donated" I was refering to people that donate their unwanted dvds, books, cds to the library and was concerned it was stolen from the library. Shellie said that they sell dvds at friends of the library sales so its mostly likely not stolen.

@ Shellie

Yes I RWAP and contacted the seller and said Photocopied artwork is not postable thru the system and to list library copies in the dvd bazaar under disc only on the forums. I'm glad I found that thread because I almost marked received until I checked the artwork and felt it was not thick like a original cover but cheap computer paper. I really think SWAP should updated their FAQ about library dvds as many people would not think to check the artwork they would just see a UPC code and think its postable. 

Last Edited on: 6/4/17 12:36 PM EST - Total times edited: 3