Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: mailing a box set

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
peteybird (Peter M.)

Subject: mailing a box set
Date Posted: 6/28/2017 10:43 PM ET

How do y'all mail a box set?  Do you put in a box or just use the wrapper?

aylamonster (Shellie F.)

Date Posted: 6/28/2017 10:48 PM ET

In a box or a bubble wrapper, usually with something else to help protect. Kind of depends on the type of case(s) the set has. Some are much like a regular dvd case and I mail in bubble wrappers.  If it is one of those made of the brittle plastic (eg. ST: Voyager seasons), I will wrap well and put in a box to protect it. It is a bummer when a series you are looking forward to arrives shattered.

You can actually use quite a bit of protective packaging for the same media mail price. smiley

peteybird (Peter M.)

Subject: thanks!
Date Posted: 6/29/2017 10:54 AM ET

Yeah, I know.  It is a pressed cardboard box for all the first star trek movies on BD, so thought that I'd put in a priorityy box, but don't see a way to pay for postage that way through the system.  I like the auto scan and credit through swapadvd, as that protects us from people claiming that we never sent it, especially for high credit things.  Is the tracking from USPS enough, or do you do a sign request?

TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 6/29/2017 10:57 AM ET

Yeah - what Shellie said.  I've made corrugated cardboard "sleeves" and put in a bubble mailer.  Brittle plastic, metal, or (stiffer) cardboard cases can arrive damaged if you just use paper.  Media mail isn't kind.  Soft flexible cardboard sleeves travel okay but stiffer cardboard cases that are glued at the edges, can break apart. 

TeaBea (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 6/29/2017 11:20 AM ET

Yeah, I know.  It is a pressed cardboard box for all the first star trek movies on BD, so thought that I'd put in a priorityy box, but don't see a way to pay for postage that way through the system.  I like the auto scan and credit through swapadvd, as that protects us from people claiming that we never sent it, especially for high credit things.  Is the tracking from USPS enough, or do you do a sign request?

Tracking - you don't need a signed request.  You don't have to worry about "priority mail" or "first class."   Media mail is perfectly acceptable, and it includes a shipment confirmation.  Make your own box. 

I typically use SWAP postage for orders with several credits and autorequests.  That provides a little "insurance."  What I mean is, SWAP can see all the shipment details (even media mail).    If the post office scans it.......you get your credits.  It's not your fault if the package goes lost.

When I'm mailing single DVDs or if I know the recipient is an active member (not autorequests) I will use PayPal postage.  This saves me 55 cents, but SWAP cannot see the shipping info.  If I have a problem with the recipient, I will email them with the proof, something like...."Hey, the post office shows the package was delivered on xx/xx/xx, and here's the tracking number xxxxxxxxxxxx if you need it."    I've not yet had a recipient say they did not get a package, when I could show that someone did.

Re: autorequests - these are tricky.  It's hard to know if these are active members.  When a DVD is on 48 hour hold, they have to "accept" the order.

Alameda (Danny N.)

Date Posted: 6/30/2017 5:27 AM ET

If you put it in a Priority Mail  box then the PO will charge Priority Mail postal rates - if you mark it as Media Mail and pay Media Mail rates here at SwapaDVD (printable postage) then the Post Office will still charge either you or the receiver for the difference between Priority Mail postage rates and the Media Mail postage rates. 

Use a food box container stuffed with old newspapers if you must - never use the Post Offices Priority Mail boxes or bags unless you want to pay their full rates.

glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 7/2/2017 11:04 AM ET

never use the Post Offices Priority Mail boxes or bags unless you want to pay their full rates

I agree!  That is the highest rate you can pay for shipping.  Tracy is correct, Media Mail is perfectly  fine.  I think you still use site postage, but make your box or sleeve of cardboard and weigh before you buy Media Mail postage.  I think you should be able to add on the extra oz's to the weight on here.  I don't use site postage, and am not sure if it allows you to change the weight as it used to.  Also, swap will accept confirmation of delivery from USPS showing tracking when a package is delivered.

KateWisdom (Renee K.)

Date Posted: 7/3/2017 12:53 AM ET

I printed some postage a couple of weeks ago and it was still allowing me to change the weight to include the packaging, so you should be good to go ^.^