Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Help! blu-ray player cuts out repeatedly

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
silverscreensilent22 (Robbi C.)

Subject: Help! blu-ray player cuts out repeatedly
Date Posted: 10/20/2017 5:44 PM ET

We have a nearly-new Samsung blu-ray player that is giving us fits. When you try to play a blu-ray or DVD (doesn't matter which), the player literally "cuts out" 20 or more times over the course of playing, then restarts. What I mean is, all of a sudden the picture and sound disappears, and the TV screen goes dark, and all you see are the words "HDMI1" at the top. Sometimes it even goes to gray fuzz. Then it starts up again, often skipping to the next scene. 

There's no rhyme or reason - it can cut out 10 times in 10 minutes, or it can play for nearly an hour without a problem. We've tried a couple of workarounds we found on the internet, such as resetting to factory settings, and my hubby even took the thing apart and removed some type of brownish ribbon, which some poster on the internet said would solve the problem. Did not work.

I know it's not the movies, because they play fine on the other (Panasonic) player. Anyone familiar with this problem?? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

musiclover (Valerie L.)

Date Posted: 10/20/2017 6:30 PM ET

I don't know Robbi but we have 2 Samsung Blu-ray players that kept turning on by themselves. We replaced one player with another Samsung and so far so good. The other one stopped maybe because we unplugged it for a while. I still have the other one in the garage on the workbench.  

Have you updated?  These Blu-ray players connect to the internet and need updates.  

Date Posted: 10/20/2017 7:49 PM ET

Thanks, Valerie. Just checked, and the software is all up-to-date. 

Solvanda (Samuel K.)

Date Posted: 10/20/2017 9:32 PM ET

Try swapping the Panasonic player's HDMI cable with the Samsung's HDMI cable.  I had something like what you are describing happen with a garbage cable once.

jac27187 (John C.)

Date Posted: 10/21/2017 9:39 AM ET

I agree this sounds like an issue with the hdmi cable.

Date Posted: 10/21/2017 9:54 AM ET

Thanks, Samuel and John. Subbed in a new cable last night and - fingers crossed - looks like the problem is solved.