Discussion Forums - Science Fiction

Topic: Tr2n

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Steven M.

Subject: Tr2n
Date Posted: 8/13/2008 6:42 PM ET

Have you seen the teaser for TR2N (Tron 2)?

You can search the logo TR2N and there are poor copies of this teaser shown at Comic Con?

What do you think?  Too late for a sequal?  Or is the time right for another trip into the computer?

vaxit (Gf B.)

Date Posted: 8/15/2008 8:33 PM ET

I just watched Tron and had't seen it for years.  My nephew who is ten enjoyed it very much.  With the special effects available today, I'm game for Tron2!

Metryq (Matthew W.)

Subject: Zeitgeist
Date Posted: 7/11/2010 11:41 AM ET

It's not right to pre-judge a film based on a teaser trailer, but this is looking like one of the classic examples of why sequels should not be made (in most cases). 

One of the things a TRON sequel will not have is the "zeitgeist" of the original. Computers were a novelty to most people in 1982, and I was one of the few people laughing at the tech jokes. The first movie introduced the audience to new concepts that today are commonplace. Sure, computer graphics are much more realistic today, and that's where I think TRON LEGACY will lose most of its impact. It will look like a MATRIX wannabe about someone stuck inside a virtual reality trying to get out. The new virtual world outfits are a major loss. They look like motorcycle leathers, rather than the back-lit warrior designs by Moebius and Syd Mead.

Using the old designs in LEGACY wouldn't help, either, as the story in TRON was allegorical and complete. No sequel is needed. Somehow a lot of people missed the Christian symbolism in the story: God (a user) comes down from Heaven and butts heads with the Caesar (the MCP) in gladiatorial games. He eventually sacrifices himself in order to open the gateway to Heaven (the I/O tower). Also note other subtleties, like the cross on the face of the I/O tower. The best part of TRON is that one can interpret the story literally or metaphorically. Was Flynn literally digitized into the computer world, or was he fighting the MCP from a terminal the whole time?

I will see TRON LEGACY eventually, maybe in the cinema just for the 3D effect, but I'm not holding my breath for this movie.

(Trivia that even some hard core fans never noticed: Yori's skullcap is replaced with a warrior helmet during the Solar Sailer scene. Cindy Morgan said she really liked the helmets, but I'm surprised that the continuity expert and/or director would let her wear one on screen. The only other time Yori is seen without her skullcap is in the deleted "love scene" when she and Tron interface.)