Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Canada?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
vLame (Jon H.)

Subject: Canada?
Date Posted: 9/22/2008 8:28 PM ET

Why not?

DanzigSpice (Anne K.)

Date Posted: 9/23/2008 6:28 AM ET

I've brought this up before. They use the same region code we do. I've sent a dvd to Alaska so why not Canada. Think of all the cool Canadian produced movies out there.  I think people aren't willing to pay a little xtra to send dvds to Canada. It wouldnt bother me.

SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 9/23/2008 10:54 AM ET

Canada is in the same regional coding, but they commonly do have different releases and therefore different UPC's.  That could prove to be a headache for both SaDVD staff and members.

Also, you'd have to factor in international postage & every DVD sent would have to be sent directly from the PO as it would need a customs form.  Packages take longer with international shipping...

DanzigSpice (Anne K.)

Date Posted: 9/23/2008 12:03 PM ET

oohhh... thanx for clearing that up. i never thought of the upc thing.

vLame (Jon H.)

Date Posted: 9/24/2008 6:43 PM ET

shipping isn't more, packages do not take longer, phooey.

we should allow canadian members to join but allow everyone in the us to have a choice of whether or not to swap/order with them.

Last Edited on: 9/24/08 6:44 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
SwapaGoat (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2008 9:36 AM ET

"shipping isn't more"

They're international shipping rates.  Packages do take longer especially for customs.

I sent a Flat Rate Priority Envelope (2-3 day)  to Canada (actually less than 100 miles) and it was $9 and took 7 days. 

Per the USPS site:

"[Flat Rate Envelopes] Can be used for Domestic Priority Mail ($4.80) and International Priority Mail ($9.95 to Canada and Mexico- $11.95 to all other countries, 4 lb weight limit applies) "

"have a choice of whether or not to swap/order with them."

Officials have been clear that they will not be giving us any choice of requestor conditions, no matter what.  I just don't think it'll be happening. 

Other than that envelope, I haven't mailed anything to Canada for a while since I put my Amazon & Half accounts on vacation right before my wedding in June.

Last Edited on: 9/25/08 11:36 AM EST - Total times edited: 2
lisa3 (Lisa Z.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2008 7:52 PM ET

If I had to deal with going to the post office just to send a DVD to Canada, I wouldn't want to participate. Too much trouble.

vLame (Jon H.)

Date Posted: 9/28/2008 3:10 PM ET

how about a canadian site?

JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 9/28/2008 4:02 PM ET

are you in Canada?

Trevor S.

Date Posted: 8/25/2010 3:49 PM ET

There is another book swap service that does operate internationally and the way they get people to pay the extra amount for shipping is by awarding them extra credits for shipping internationally.  Conversely it also costs people more credits to request from international locations.

fzacharvey (Forrest H.)

Date Posted: 8/29/2010 8:23 PM ET

Does Canada have an equivalent to Hollywood?  Do they make Box Office hits there.  I know they have their own tv stations and shows and such, but just curious.

Dana P.

Subject: use your head
Date Posted: 5/20/2011 11:14 AM ET

ofcourse we have major movies in canada..... did you stop to think before you asked?? blade 3 shot in vancouver. zombieland was partially in vancouver. wshmaster 3 was in winnipeg. parts of all xmen movies were in vancouver. part of spiderman in toronro. EA and CAPCOM Studios are in vancouver. aka Dead rising 2 the best zombie killer ever besides left for dead.. made in canada. and what do you think rockstar north studio is? look at the big name canadian actors.... mike meyers, adam sandler, ryan reynolds, jim carey, the trailer park boys :P. jenna jameson. theres alot of stuff i didnt list.... but do be so narrow minded... i can only use this site because i live in seattle and vancouver....

KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 5/20/2011 11:46 AM ET

narrow minded and just not knowing are two very different things. Not being knowledgeable of Canada's "equivalent Hollywood" does not make someone narrow minded.... It was an honest, and legitimate question, with him not actually living in Canada or maybe never seen a Canadian movie.

narrow-minded

adj
having a biased or illiberal viewpoint; bigoted, intolerant, or prejudiced

Last Edited on: 5/20/11 11:47 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
SarithaAnn (Sara C.)

Date Posted: 5/20/2011 11:59 AM ET

I would imagine another issue for the site would possibly include differences in currency and paying taxes and such on any profits.   I have shipped things to Canada for Auction sites and it cost quite a bit more using USPS.  I personally would not ship to Canada just for that reason.

However, I am sure Canada has a swapping site of a different name.  If not, sounds like a good business start for someone up there.

tradewithme15022 (Andrea A.)

Date Posted: 5/20/2011 12:21 PM ET

ofcourse we have major movies in canada..... did you stop to think before you asked?? blade 3 shot in vancouver. zombieland was partially in vancouver. wshmaster 3 was in winnipeg. parts of all xmen movies were in vancouver. part of spiderman in toronro. EA and CAPCOM Studios are in vancouver. aka Dead rising 2 the best zombie killer ever besides left for dead.. made in canada. and what do you think rockstar north studio is? look at the big name canadian actors.... mike meyers, adam sandler, ryan reynolds, jim carey, the trailer park boys :P. jenna jameson. theres alot of stuff i didnt list.... but do be so narrow minded... i can only use this site because i live in seattle and vancouver....

uhm wow... they were only asking a honest question, but since you mentioned it and I seem to have a little knowledge about Cinema of Canada...

Lots of movies are shot all over the world, just because movies are filmed there doesnt mean the company shooting the film is even from that country and it does not make the film from that country either. Blade Trinity belongs to New Line Cinema which is an American Company. Zombieland was filmed by Relativity Media which is from Hollywood. EA international headquarters is in Redwood City, California. CAPCOM began in Japan in 1979 not even in the USA or Canada. Having a service center or factory in a country does not make it a country's product. Rockstar North Ltd. the makers of Grand Theft Auto is from Scotland. Adam Sandler was born in Brooklyn New York and Jenna Jameson was born in Las Vegas.

Now without saying, there are great movies created by Canadian movie studios. Cube and Porky's are two right off the top of my head. As for movie studios Lionsgate is Canadian/American combined studio that did movies like Diary of Wimpy Kid and The Fog and TV show The 4400. And who can forget the large (as large as LA and Bollywood) Vancouver Studio owned by the McLean Group, with Eureka, Battlestar Galactica, Eclipse, New Moon and many more... check out what comes out of there and you will wonder if the Syfy channel is not just owned by a Canadian television station. lol

Edited to add: Many great Canadian actors, screenwriters, directors and producers come to Hollywood for a more fruitful career. Hollywood has what many don't have but it does not mean other countries still don't make great movies.

Last Edited on: 5/20/11 12:40 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
KathrynBlodgett (Kathryn B.)

Date Posted: 5/20/2011 12:27 PM ET

There are sites that allow swapping to Canada, however, since its a good $1 more per dvd shipped, and there is no tracking via USPS "first class" from US to Canada that crosses the boarder, and if you want something that does track its that much more expensive, a lot of people dont want to do it with the already cheap cost of credits/used dvds available (if you can buy a credit for $3, and it costs the same to ship a dvd to Canda, it doesnt make too much sense to do it). Usually on trading sites that allow it, its an option you can turn off and on in your preferences whether or not you want to trade with those regions.

Heck, some people dont even want to trade to APOs even though they cost the same just because of the time delay in getting their credit....

Theres lot of reasons not to do it, as well as reasons to do it, the site owner just chose not to implement it at this time and thats his decision and right to do so. I've mailed plenty of stuff to Canada before but I would probably not do so on this site just because of the added costs.

Last Edited on: 5/20/11 12:28 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Betsy (Elizabeth K.)

Date Posted: 5/21/2011 11:44 AM ET

I have a business selling vintage and antique jewelry and silver smalls and ship world wide.  The first class to Canada for small items ranges from less than to the States to a bit more.  You can use first class international for up to 4 pounds of weight.  Priority mail is the high priced spread!  I would swap with Canadians in a heartbeat.  If it is a valuable dvd, insurance can be purchased at Shipsurance for $2.00 per hundred of value going to Canada.

Yes, I would be delighted to send & recieve from Canada.  Maybe a section on forums where Canadian members can post without being in the main data base but with the same rules vis-a-vis cases, cover art etc.  Also, Canadian posting would have to not only orcer from the States but als be willing to ship here as their postage is wicked high. 

That said, there is a major strike looming for the Canadian  postal service so if you do business there, be forewarned that it could be a long time before delivery.

Last Edited on: 5/21/11 12:43 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
Evelyn L.

Date Posted: 5/22/2011 9:53 AM ET

There is also the fact that you might have to do customs forms.  And, I think the Canada Post rates to the US for DVDs work out to be more than the USPS rates to Canada, resulting in a bit of an imbalance.

Xiaojun X.

Subject: Edited by the SwapaDVD Team
Date Posted: 6/6/2018 12:46 AM ET
Edited by the SwapaDVD Team

Last Edited on: 6/8/18 9:59 AM EST - Total times edited: 0