Discussion Forums - Music

Topic: do you know any good ones?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
musicgirl (Katie D.)

Subject: do you know any good ones?
Date Posted: 11/15/2008 5:01 PM ET

i am a music lover who enjoys clean, music-related movies. two of my favorites are phantom of the opera and august rush.  i am looking for some more good ones. does anybody have any suggestions?

sevenspiders (Vanessa V.)

Date Posted: 11/16/2008 12:29 PM ET

Music of the Heart with Meryl Streep, also Mr. Holland's Opus.  And if you like musicals there's a lot of great ones to check out.

Last Edited on: 11/16/08 12:30 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
DanzigSpice (Anne K.)

Date Posted: 11/19/2008 7:53 AM ET

Anything with Gene Kelly is good,  I like:  anchors aweigh   http://www.swapadvd.com/dvd/title/5593-Anchors+Aweigh

I know you said "clean" but  "best little whorehouse is texas" is a great movie. lots of big name stars, its funny and the songs are fantastic. the nudity is very minimal. i used to watch it when i was a kid. http://www.swapadvd.com/dvd/title/32034-The+Best+Little+Whorehouse+in+Texas

booksandmusic (Marie S.)

Date Posted: 1/18/2009 12:30 AM ET

Eddie and the Cruisers is a good movie with good music.

wdavidw (William W.)

Date Posted: 9/4/2010 12:47 AM ET

West Side Story--good music and story

Once--story about two songwriters, with good songs

The Pianist--good story although the music is featured a lot , it's more a war movie, but  still a good movie

U2: Rattle and Hum--if you like the band it's a good movie

Beyond the Sea--story about Bobby Darin, good performance by Kevin Spacey

Loreena McKennitt: Nights from the Alhambra--good concert if you can find it

Bound for Glory--story of Woody Guthrie

The Buddy Holly Story--Gary Busey plays Holly in this well-made bio

Simon & Garfunkel: Old Friends--incredible concert

Selena--story about the Latino singer

wdavidw (William W.)

Date Posted: 9/4/2010 12:55 AM ET

The Pianist--I meant to say, the music is not the main feature, though the story is centered around it, just not promintely feature, it's more a WWII movie.

I agree, Mr Holland's Opus--good movie

Madame Sousatzka--with Shirley MacLaine is a good movie about being a piano teacher

Allen W.

Date Posted: 5/11/2013 8:49 PM ET

I agree about  Mr Holland's Opus,Phantom of the Opera and August Rush.You have La bamba about Ritchie Valens  and Great Balls Of Fire about Jerry Lee Lewis.Then You also have a classic The Sound Of Music which is really good.

Jack C.

Date Posted: 12/19/2013 12:25 AM ET

If you like Phantom of the Opera, you have to see Brian DePalma's film The Phantom of the Paradise. Absolutely incredible, nutty glam-rock parody of the music industry, the Phantom story and the lengend of Faust. With awesome songs.

I'd also check out Ken Russell's Tommy and Lisztomania. Great Balls of Fire, the Jerry Lee Lewis biopic, as Allen mentioned, is great.

For something a bit less out there and more emotionally stirring, the Irish film Once is absolutely lovely. So is Almost Famous.

Last Edited on: 12/19/13 12:25 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
vincentday614 (Kristopher F.)

Subject: pianist
Date Posted: 5/13/2015 8:03 AM ET

ooommm the Pianist - great musik, great photos, great everything!!!