Discussion Forums - Foreign Films

Topic: Fond of Japanese films

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
realartist (Frank E.)

Subject: Fond of Japanese films
Date Posted: 12/29/2008 10:00 PM ET

Japanese films leave an indelible impression-such as Tampopo ( "Dandelion" -about a single mom who struggles to open a noodle cafe ); "The Funeral"...about a funeral, as you might guess, and the eccentrics who gather for the wake, including a tempestuous little drunken slut ( wink ); and "Under the Red Bridge" - this is a fantasy about a very attractive single woman, and a divorced and unhappy man now single who meets this woman the lovely female in question  happens to be a 'gusher'...ahem...when making love. There are some others whose names I can't remember-so if anyone cares to remind me of the good ones that won awards, please do so, and please post them; although most films, Western ,or Asian , or Spanish, deal with some cruelties, and violence that is too much for me-I don't watch them if I can see that they deal with the macabre or sadistic subhumans.

Nicholas G.

Subject: a couple of recs
Date Posted: 1/10/2011 12:31 AM ET

First is The Twilight Samurai, story about the lives of Samurai when they are not fighting.  It's a drama, very touching and well done. 

Something more up your alley might be Adrenaline Drive as it is a comedy, I don't know many people that have seen this but personally I thought it was pretty entertaining.  It's about a couple of innocents that get their hands on mob money and decide to keep it.

If I were you i'd try my hand at some Chinese and Korean movies, lots of good stuff out there.

I just noticed I was replying to a nearly 3 year old post, lol!!! (yes i'm new here)

Last Edited on: 1/10/11 12:33 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
glowbird (Gloria B.)

Date Posted: 4/14/2011 11:23 PM ET

Frank E,

You'd love HANA: The Tale of the Reluctant Samurai.  I picked it up for my sons.  It's too mellow for them--they're into the martial arts/action films--but I loved it.  Planned to post it, but now can't part with it just yet.