Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaDVD

Topic: Stupid, Stupid Auto-request..and people that cant click

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
punkin (Becky W.)

Subject: Stupid, Stupid Auto-request..and people that cant click
Date Posted: 2/18/2009 8:53 AM ET

This is 100% a rant, no questions, no offers, I am just frustrated!!

I put my WL movies on auto-request that way when they get posted it will go through faster. A request went through FINIALLY for "Last House On The Left". We have been trying and trying to get that movie, so the credit is being held by that and I am waiting and waiting. I had 3 other requests go through using up my remaining credits. Then I get an email "Your account is lacking one credit for "Slingblade". Another I wanted really badly. Then Finially they Reject "Last house on the Left". It was newly posted why post it just to reject? Maybe new member just trying to get their free cred? SO now I dont have either movie and I am sad....Again

KnJFisher (Jennifer F.)

Subject: It has been happening
Date Posted: 2/18/2009 9:55 AM ET

to me all the time, I don't get it either.  But I have noticed that it has been since the influx of new members. I think some people joined, got there free movie and promptly forgot us.  I have also requested many,many movies and have gotten no response!  I fear that we are headed down the same path as SwapaCD.

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 2/18/2009 2:01 PM ET

It really helps to have enough credits stockpiled to cover auto request DVD's. That is how I manage my wish list so I don't miss out on a DVD I have been waiting for. That usually means no random ordering from the DVD's posted each day.

I also keep enough credits at paperbackswap so I can transfer quickly if needed.

math-teacher (Mario C.)

Subject: Last House on the Left
Date Posted: 2/18/2009 4:17 PM ET

I'm the member who cancelled LHOTL, sorry. I just joined and frankly have been burned too many times by online things that I want to make sure this site is legit. I posted a bunch of films and got lots of requests. I have sent out a few to see if they will respond and credit me. I know some people who used this site and sent out lots of DVDs only to get screwed in return. Sorry to have done that to you, but as much as I want to trust others, it's earned not given...

KnJFisher (Jennifer F.)

Subject: WOW
Date Posted: 2/18/2009 4:21 PM ET

"I know some people who used this site and sent out lots of DVDs only to get screwed in return."

This is news to most of us!

And if thats true would'nt that make you steer clear of SwapaDVD?

Last Edited on: 2/18/09 4:27 PM EST - Total times edited: 1
punkin (Becky W.)

Date Posted: 2/18/2009 5:20 PM ET

I have never had any trouble at all! I love it here! Its my favorite of the trading sites that I have used and havent had any trouble at all. Everything I have sent has always been recieved and I have been given my credit. THEN I discovered how easy D.C. is so I use that most of the time now and I get my credit right away. Every thing I have recieved has been great too.  Even another member has given credits for me to recieve movies! (Thnx again BTW I just got them today and my daughter was thrilled with all the carebear movies!!)

twintoni (Toni B.)

Date Posted: 2/18/2009 8:49 PM ET

Mario, if you use the site's postage printing and Delivery confirmation feature, you will get your credt as soon as you click that the DVD is sent.

Just wondering why you would join and post DVD's that you aren't sure you will send?

While you may be leary about using the site and getting your credits, your response on this thread is what makes members like me leary of members like you..........posting then not sending the DVD.

but as much as I want to trust others, it's earned not given...

works both ways you know...............Toni

Fireskull (Ed G.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2009 12:12 AM ET

Mario you  sent a few??   you've only sent ONE DVD  since you've became a member, If you're not willing to take the chance like most of us then maybe you shouldn't be here...I've sent out hundreds of dvd's and have never had a complaint ...yes maybe one or 2 dvd's have gotten lost but that's a chance I'm willing to take to be in this site....which by the way is the best out of many.

Last Edited on: 2/19/09 10:39 PM EST - Total times edited: 3
Akasha011 (Wendi P.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2009 1:07 AM ET

I am new here and part of the reason I like this idea is because it's like a form of trust and communication. It's true that there are some who are not trustworthy but I also beleive that there are more people in the world who we can trust. I have been selling on Ebay for about 5 or maybe more years and I have learned a lot about people doing this. There are a lot more good people in the world than most of us think, you would be surprised! I have seen the worst too of course.. like people who bid on things and don't pay. I don't let it bother me, ThenI had a person send an item back to me that I mailed to them by mistake. They paid for postage themselves even though it was my mistake! So come on. We're not all bad.

I'm looking forward to trying this out. I already have 3 DVD's to mail. I am sending 2 tomorrow and the other by Saturday. I just wish I had more to like that I can swap.  I'm still digging around and wil have more here soon

Akasha011 (Wendi P.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2009 1:09 AM ET

p.s. Sorry about my sloppy post. It's getting late here.

math-teacher (Mario C.)

Subject: My Bad
Date Posted: 2/19/2009 7:39 AM ET

I should not have posted so many movies at once...I will only post a few at a time from here on out. Sent out second one today...sent out first last week and still no response...

KnJFisher (Jennifer F.)

Subject: USE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION
Date Posted: 2/19/2009 7:46 AM ET

you will get your credit as soon as the package is scanned at the Post Office you can stop worrying and you wont disappoint any more members by cancelling requests. Win/Win

GordonSetter (Denise B.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2009 8:34 AM ET

If you join SwapaDVD, post movie titles that you are willing to trade, then decline to send them, you are in violation of the Terms of Service.  When you post a movie there is even a special screen that pops up asking if you are SURE you want to post this movie and that you agree to mail it if it's requested.  It's very simple.

If you DON'T want to mail the movies, don't post them.  There are other places on the web where you can create a database of the movies you own for convenience or record keeping.  You can see the problems caused when someone's credits are tied up waiting for a movie request to be accepted.  Believe me, you'd be upset if the situation were reversed.

And -- like has been said many times -- Use Delivery Confirmation! Even if you don't use printable postage, you can use DC. It's cheap and easy to use and your credit will be on your account the minute the barcode is scanned in anywhere in the postal system.   You can put $10.00 in your account and at .27 per movie it's very good insurance. Ten bucks lasts a long time!  (you pay .18 more at the PO when you buy postage)

For those of you who do not have a printer -- you can still use DC by going to the library. Pick one day a week that you can use the library computers, and choose a "mail by" date that is after that. Accept the movie requests as they come in, then go to the library, log into your account and print all the labels at one time.  (just don't mix up movies and labels!) :-)

Last Edited on: 2/21/09 10:56 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
JessyBird03 (Jessica J.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2009 7:42 PM ET

DC is actually like .18 + .27 (or whatever the swapadvd fee is).  it's definitely worth it though.

PIZZELLEBFS (Jo L.)

Date Posted: 2/19/2009 9:50 PM ET

I've never been burned here by the peeps I've sent dvds to.  I send them, they receive them and I get a credit.  Yay!

But I have been burned more than once by scammers: new to the site peeps who post WL multiple disc sets, use DC and get the credits right away, without ever sending the dvds.  Anyone remember 'Juan' ? And he/she wasn't the last scammer who got me. 

No offense, Mario, I'm not saying new peeps are all bad and not to be trusted.  This site needs new peeps so it can grow.  A little bit of trust goes a long way.  Just sayin'.

GordonSetter (Denise B.)

Date Posted: 2/21/2009 10:57 AM ET

Yes, Jessica is correct. I had just been to the PO and had "eighteen cents" on the brain.  I even remembered later that I made a mistake but forgot to come back and fix it.   :-D  I edited my post to reflect the correct values.

patticom (Patricia F.)

Date Posted: 2/23/2009 3:53 AM ET

This site wasn't what I was expecting at first, but once I got used to it my only problem has been the lack of RC.  Living overseas with an APO address, I see the Requestor Conditions as *the* best feature of paperback swap, and I have referred at least a dozen of my local friends to that site.  I almost never recommend this site, however, because no RC means no easy way to inform people of the special mailing circumstances and let them back out gracefully if they can't get to a post office or don't have the time/willingness to fill out the customs form, etc.  If you look at the sheer numbers under a community search, you will find only 10 overseas military members here (APO & FPO), but 159 on bookswap!!

Other than that little problem I've been very pleased overall and have received and sent lots of great movies!  :)  The only bad member issue I ran across was the Juan scheme some months ago where a guy stole a bunch of credits in the bazaar... TPTB caught it, though, and stopped him before he kept up with it, and I only lost one credit so it's not SUCH a big deal.  :)  But people have been really nice on here, and everything has run smoothly otherwise, both in "regular" ordering and the bazaar!

Last Edited on: 2/23/09 3:54 AM EST - Total times edited: 1
math-teacher (Mario C.)

Subject: Hooked
Date Posted: 2/23/2009 8:03 PM ET

I was cautious at first, but I have to admit, once I got credited for movies I sent (or used DC) I am excited to be a part of the swapping community. I haven't requested anything yet, but I have some "desirable" titles that I will be posting sooner than later.

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Subject: Because I have nothing better to do...
Date Posted: 2/24/2009 12:20 PM ET

"If you look at the sheer numbers under a community search, you will find only 10 overseas military members here (APO & FPO), but 159 on bookswap!!"

Actually, if you look at it as a percentage of members* who have APO & FPO addresses, there are far more on DVD than PBS.  2.95% of DVD members have an APO or FPO address, whereas only .33% (one third of a percent) of PBS members do.

(Yeah, I was bored enough to do the math!  ;-P)

*FYI, these numbers were calculated only using the number of members with public profies, as there doesn't appear to be any way to access the total number of members either site has.  At least, I couldn't find it!

patticom (Patricia F.)

Date Posted: 2/25/2009 6:28 AM ET

So, how to the total numbers compare, since you're in a mathy mood??  ;)

Elaureth (Kerry L.)

Date Posted: 2/25/2009 8:33 AM ET

Currently, SaDVD has 3,738 members with public profiles and PBS has 54,309.  PBS has 14.5 times the number of members that SaDVD has.  I would compare SaCD, too, but I'm not a member of that so I can't see the Member Directory.  ;-P

So, does anybody know if there's a way to see the actual total member count?

ischivalrydead (Karyn B.)

Subject: For those in APO FPO
Date Posted: 2/25/2009 12:55 PM ET

I am on all three sites and will GLADLY send ot military, I am AF myself... I suggest, until RC is added here, you send a PM to the acceptor once you get the acceptance notice, then one or the other of you can still cancel the order up until the label is printed... if you want to mutually cancel after that, a note to the site would probalby solve the problem.

my nickname is the same on all sites... i only have one movie listed here,  but am currently having a 2-for-1 offer on all my CDs, and I have many books to offer as well.  In fact I'll give BETTER deals to APO and FPO.

ischivalrydead (Karyn B.)

Subject: Mario
Date Posted: 2/25/2009 12:57 PM ET

Shame on you!

you posted a bunch but weren't prepared to send them, you sent out "a few" but really only one... you were tired of "getting burned " so instead you DO IT TO OTHERS???  That is NOT what this site is about, and the TGLs are correct, you violated TOS and I think you should be suspended.

math-teacher (Mario C.)

Subject: Karyn
Date Posted: 2/25/2009 5:24 PM ET

Sorry you feel that way. I have sent out 5 DVDsto date with 11 currently posted and some more to be posted.

Last Edited on: 2/25/09 5:38 PM EST - Total times edited: 2
punkin (Becky W.)

Date Posted: 2/25/2009 6:26 PM ET

Yes, I recieved "The Last House On The Left" From him today. Perfect condition. Thank you Mario

Page: