The End is Nigh.. But At Least It's the Ultimate Cut
Dusty Bottoms | Redding, CA USA | 11/08/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Finally, Zac Synder's vision as it was meant to be. I can't believe they milked the DVD release for literally ever last penny they could. Nevertheless, I am incredibly pleased to own 'Watchmen: the Ultimate Cut'.
With 'the Black Freighter' interwoven into segments throughout the film, Synder's phenomenal and slavishly faithful adaptation of the 'Watchmen' is complete. It extends the movie to over three and a half hours long and fills in the missing pieces from the graphic novel along with a few other small live-action scenes, that weren't in the 'Director's Cut', making it all the more magnificently epic, fresh and unique. The extra material included is massive and comprehensive, which is only fair to the fans, who feel milked and cheated, or who just love the 'Watchmen'.
'The Black Freighter' is a grim tale that parallels the lives of different Watchmen, particularly Veidt's and Rorschach's, and their compulsion to fight evil everywhere they think they find it, blinded to the consequences of their actions. Tremendously realistic and beautiful animation and the voice of Gerald Butler, bring this intriguing and fan-favorite aspect of the story to life, but it's the effective and pragmatic interweaving of it, that reflects on the Watchmen and stays true to the original source.
The film is uncompromising, uncommercial, and unprecedented. It's the 'Watchmen' movie you always wanted, but never thought you'd get, but now, even more so. All the crime-noir, political satire, superhero mythology and science fiction is still there, so unless you forgot or missed the most ambitious, most reverent, most obsessively faithful (to a point) cinematic adaptation of a graphic novel ever and all the stunning and innovative movie magic and gore-porn that went with it, then there won't be much else new for you to get your hopes up for.
O, except maybe for the 4 additional discs with extra material, the set includes:
- Watchmen, the Ultimate Cut (215min)
- Commentary from Zac Snyder and Dave Gibbons (explains everything from prop inspirations to plot alterations)
- The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics
- Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes
- Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World
- Watchmen: Video Journals
- Under the Hood
- Story Within a Story: The Books of Watchmen
- Music Video: My Chemical Romance, 'Desolation Row'
- Digital Copy of the Theatrical Version.
Discs 4 & 5
- Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comics (325 minutes & in it's own case within the box)
- Disc 1 does not include 'Watchmen' WITHOUT 'the Black Freighter' integrated. The digital copy may somewhat compensate for this, but if you're still not satisfied, you'll have to purchase the 'Director's Cut' and 'the Black Freighter' separetely.
The box it comes in is pretty snazzy and durable.
I love 'Watchmen: the Ultimate Cut'. I'm glad I bought it. If you're a fan of the 'Watchmen', and need the complete version of the film, then you'll love it and be glad you bought it too."
J. Hunter Johnson | Centerville, OH USA | 09/24/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"I've held off on buying the Watchmen DVDs released so far, hoping for a "complete" set like this one (which I've now pre-ordered). What you get:
* Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut Film (rated R), weaving together the "Tales of the Black Freighter" with the "Watchmen: Director's Cut". 215 minutes
* Audio Commentary with Zack Snyder and Dave Gibbons
* The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics
* Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes
* Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World
* Watchmen: Video Journals
* My Chemical Romance Desolation Row
* Under the Hood (rated PG)
* Story Within a Story: The Books of Watchmen
* Digital Copy of the Theatrical Version. (The drawback: no Blu-ray version of the theatrical release. But I didn't take a star off for this.)
* Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comics (this is split across two discs on the non-Blu-ray edition) 325 minutes
Blu-ray exclusive: Connect to Facebook through BD-Live. The content is not rated except where noted."
N. Durham | Philadelphia, PA | 11/14/2009
(5 out of 5 stars)
"When the long-awaited adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' comic book masterpiece Watchmen was released, it proved to be, despite its flaws, undoubtedly the best adaptation that a fan of the comic could have ever hoped for. Those who found it boring, overlong, or just simply didn't "get it" need not apply here for this Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut edition, which pushes Zack Snyder's adaptation to a 3 and a half hour plus epic. Fully incorporating the animated Tales of the Black Freighter (intercut into segments) as well as deleted scenes from the first DVD and Blu-Ray releases of the film, Watchmen: The Ultimate Edition is a masterpiece of comic book to film adaptations that will not disappoint those who have long cherished the comic. The special features, which include commentary tracks from Snyder and Gibbons, as well as the brilliant Under the Hood segment, the various webisodes, and the Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic, are worthwhile enough (though one may wish that more would and could have been included features wise), and as for the film itself, the same flaws do remain: including the various alterations in the story (such as Rorschach's origin and the ending), and the fact that the film just isn't for everyone or those expecting to see guys in tights fighting the good fight. Despite its flaws though, the Watchmen film remains a labor of love that does Moore and Gibbons' masterwork, and now that it's in its complete form, is more than worth your time."