Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
Actors: Cher, Christina Aguilera
Director: Steve Antin
Genres: Drama, Music Video & Concerts
There is, according to Burlesque, a nightclub on the Sunset Strip that looks like a blend of Cabaret and Moulin Rouge and employs a full contingent of dancers and musicians in the service of a neo-retro-burlesque-blues pro... more »
Similarly Requested DVDs
Member Movie Reviews
Jean W. from JORDANVILLE, NY
Reviewed on 6/19/2014...
was very pleasantly surprised at how good this movie really is. An excellent musical with a good story line.
2 of 4 member(s) found this review helpful.
Michael C. (msc1208) from ROANOKE, VA
Reviewed on 10/6/2013...
"Burlesque" is an enjoyable film. I really thought Christina Aguilera gave a good, solid debut performance. Much better than I ever expected from a singer that tries to act (sorry Madonna). and Cher gives a solid performance for her part (Cher's one of the few that can sing AND act.)
And while this is no great film its no "Glitter" either. (sorry Mariah)
ATTENTION: Spoilers!!! if you have not seen Burlesque (or Coyote Ugly) and you plan on seeing either one, you should stop reading NOW.
If you have seen Burlesque & Coyote Ugly you probably know what I am talking about already.
If not this review is pointing out the fact that Burlesque is a complete rip-off of Coyote Ugly. Some things have been changed in Burlesque, a few characters added and a few omitted. some details have been slightly altered and I think the film makers were just hoping that it had been long enough in between the two films for anyone to notice, but here they are...
1. Both Coyote Ugly and Burlesque start off with a young girl who leaves a small town to go to the big city to make it in the music business.
2. Both hit the pavement to look for work in a music montage. both women get shot down numerous times before finding a job.
3. both end up working in a bar or club serving, instead of singing.
4. eventually both start dancing for a bunch of drunk patrons. (instead of serving them.)
4. Both the bar in Coyote Ugly and the Club in Burlesque are run by women who seem like total b**ches at first but eventually turn out to have a heart of gold.
5. Both films feature a co-worker that gives the main character a very hard time.
6. In both films the main character has a secret stash of money that they hide. and in both films someone breaks in and steals their emergency funds.
7. both have a romance with a guy that may or may not work out, which of course eventually does.
8. and finally both realize their dreams of making it in the music business. Sure one is singing and one is song-writing but they had to change a few of the details.
It's the same movie, just saying. Sure some things were changed here and there, but not many.
2 of 2 member(s) found this review helpful.
Kristian L. (Katomine) from PRESCOTT, AZ
Reviewed on 9/18/2013...
Such a great film! Will have you dancing and singing along. Greatly entertaining :D
1 of 2 member(s) found this review helpful.