Subject: I have found a DVD that I think you would enjoy
|Effortless Mastery Liberating the Master Musician Within|
Actor: Kenny Werner
Genres: Music Video & Concerts, Special Interests, Educational
This DVD features noted pianist/author Kenny Werner speaking before a packed house of musicians and educators about the principles of his popular concept "Effortless Mastery". The book/CD by the same name has had a prof... more »
ESSENTIAL TRUTHS ABOUT BEING A REALLY SUCCESSFUL MUSICIAN
GUITARRAS | DC, NY, USA | 08/25/2007
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This DVD is an amazingly effective and goes directly for the points at hand and their cure. Most of the content will seem revolutionary to most viewers, unless they are master musicians and live in that state.
The roots of real music creation are exposed and they are not what most think they are, but they are inside us and everyone has them. How to "get it' that we have them is the crux of the matter.
Kenny Werner goes into the most crucial factors that have to be faced to liberate the musician from what chains him/her to mediocrity and lack of brilliance or lack of confidence and stage fright.
Any artist who puts in practice the contents of this filmed presentation will find himself/ herself surrounded by an appreciative audience sooner or later. He/she will be doing what any great musician does and living as they do before , during and after the performances whether they are professionals or not.
I can guarantee it, being myself blessed with a very successful musical career, I recognized all of Kenny Werner's advice as supremely true, much of it I had to face early on in my career, and fortunately I was able to overcome those ego induced challenges present in all of us artists early on with the help of this fundamentally spiritual approach from the very same source which liberated the author of this DVD. An approach that always works, if one knows exactly what to do, and Kenny Werner does know.
But what about 90% of musicians? Now they have this DVD to help them do what it takes to be free to make one's brand of great music and to perform it with grace , depth, excitement, and beauty and most importantly : To have fun! while doing it. I can tell from my own experience: It does not get any better than that if you are a musician!
From Rachmaninoff to Rap or Jazz the inner state and source is the same.
Having viewed this DVD and having personally experienced and continuing to experience what Kenny Werner talks about in all it's phases from challenges of the ego to an excellent measure of success worldwide after meeting these challenges, I can only highly recommend this DVD ."
Greatest book I've ever read!
Rick Kuethe | Boston, MA | 06/22/2008
(5 out of 5 stars)
""Effortless Mastery" is a transformational book, and it was impossible for me to put it down once I started it.
10 of my most joyful discoveries from Kenny Werner's book:
1. I loved the autobiography, particularly growing up.
2. The mantras that "Music is easy" and "Music is effortless" and especially "Not caring leads to better playing."
3. This is a book for musicians, but really it is so much more. It's for everyone. I've ordered 4 copies of it from Amazon,and will be getting a lot more copies for future gifts.
4. The 5-minute rule I've been applying to my piano playing every day. I find that I'm so busy that I almost never play anymore. Now I'm playing at least 5 minutes a day, and it is pure joy. (Most of the time it turns into more than 5 minutes, but sometimes only 5, but I get up from the piano feeling very happy).
5. Kenny's idea of service and surrender through playing the piano. I really love that!
6. Kenny's affirmation "Every note I play is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard." Brilliant.
7. If I had to single out one statement that he wrote that, for me, was the most profound: "...we are all addicts in the sense that we are addicted to our limited vision of ourselves." (Very hard to pick just one).
8. The idea that we are all masters, and to celebrate each other's mastery.
9. The idea of "...retreating into the stillness to guide your technique into effortlessness."
10. Playing without overthinking, or, without thinking at all.
Thank you, Kenny Werner, for writing this brilliant book."
Beautiful and enlightening
Amazon.com-lover | California | 05/15/2008
(5 out of 5 stars)
"Excuse me: This review is for the book and CD, I didn't know there was also a DVD.
This is such a beautiful book about creation, about being a musician, about living life gently and fully. The meditations on the included CD are nothing short of life changing. Kenny's beautiful voice is hypnotic, and his meditations are healing, loving. If you are at all struggling with artists's block, or even if not, this is a magical book and CD, that teaches we all have something to say, there are no rules, there is really no critic watching us."
Truly a great book
Ron Itzikovitch | 01/28/2010
(5 out of 5 stars)
"This is a recommended reading to all who have lost that pure inner enthusiasm for music, the same one that got us playing in the first place. i love music, but it always seemed very hard to maintain that feeling in the hectic musician's life that as we all know involve learning material fast, teaching and gigging, and leaves little time for mastering the things that are most important to us, and truly enjoying the process.
This book, that i have read at least 4 times so far and plan to keep re-reading in the future, has really helped me to remember why i play, and aided me incredibly in releasing some of the "I gotta sound good" pressure that got in my way. I now enjoy playing music a whole lot more than i did in the past, my playing has improved, and the stress associated with playing in front of "important" people has become a tool for self-exploration and a reminder that "i'm cool just the way i am".
If you love music - and you love yourself enough to be willing to help yourself enjoy it as much as humanly possible - read the book. :)"